SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
 :horse I got back in the WIP saddle yesterday and rode again today! It feels like home.

In this revision, I've changed just about everything but the original concept and the basic relationships between the major characters. Piece of cake.  :cupcake :snork
#421 - September 08, 2010, 05:05 PM

mswatkins

I've been squeezing writing time in between study sessions. It's been tough, but every little bit helps. I'm writing the closing chapter now. It's going slow, but I'm trudging through it. I changed the climax around so the ending is completely different and unplanned. I'm hoping to have it all hammered out next week. 

Then I''ll need to load up the wagon and head to reisionland.  Yay!   :stars
#422 - September 09, 2010, 01:19 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
"Back in the saddle"--yeah! Everyone's back in school and it's lovely to get back into routine.

My WIP told me it wanted to be in first person, which I've never done before...and I'm not sure it's working--writing is like squeezing toothpaste out of a tube with a mouth a quarter of the size it ought to be.  I'm trying to decide whether to move back to my tried-and-true deep third.  Sigh.
#423 - September 09, 2010, 02:07 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Finished a chapter today and forging ahead to the next. I'm writing so much new material in this revision that it almost feels like a first draft. But I'm getting to that spot where I can "smell" the climax and ending coming, and that usually energizes me.
#424 - September 09, 2010, 02:17 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Tinamarie

Added about 300 words last night to the WIP for a scene whose placement I'm still puzzling over, added 500+ words today.  Am roughly over 1/3 into the draft, am feeling a bit lost so I've printed what I've got so far, trying to work up the courage to read through it and figure out where I go from here.
#425 - September 09, 2010, 05:09 PM
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:29 PM by Tinamarie »

No writing.  Too busy getting ready for train journey to Dublin for conference tomorrow. I can work on my W.I.P on train.  Everything packed and ready.  Now I have to knock on John's door and haul him out of bed then tackle the cat.
That will be my W.I.P for at least half an hour.  He hates his carrier and it usually takes two of us to back Moggy in.  Then it's off to drop him at his hotel before we head for the train.
I think there could almost be a story in there.  Hmm...
My W.I.P will probably happen at some point on the journey.
#426 - September 10, 2010, 12:33 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Have a great time at the conference, thunderingelephants! Hope you get some writing time in too.

I'm still writing away every day, except for one day that I had a migraine. Anne Marie's complete-your-draft challenge is keeping me busy!
#427 - September 10, 2010, 05:38 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Have a wonderful time at the conference, Fiona!

Two pages yesterday...we'll see what happens today...
#428 - September 10, 2010, 05:46 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Didn't work on the WIP yesterday, but I did spend some time (ok, a lot of time) creating a website that I can put my dummy on for agents to have a look at.

Have a great time at the conference, Fiona!!
#429 - September 10, 2010, 08:46 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Haven't worked on WIP in a bit, but can I post in here for wishing I could? I am buried under lesson plans right now. Maybe I'll get to spend a few minutes on it later.  :flower
#430 - September 12, 2010, 10:02 AM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

A nice, productive weekend.  I packed John off and left him in the centre of the capital city (which he knows better than me) to go and get the liquid components for my truffles (beer to anyone else).  Then I took a fifty minute train journey to conference meeting.  Jane Yolen gave a great speech, as did two representatives from different publishing houses and agencies.  Also got a critique on one of my stories, which I wasn't expecting since I didn't pay for it.  I was surprised at the response, that was a last-minute submission and I'd only just finished.
I returned home last night, exhausted but happy.  Then I trotted into town, wrote two hundred words and worked on the story that was critiqued. I haven't been this busy for a long time.
I have to admit though, I am writing about cats on this project and Moggy is still in his hotel.  Missing him like crazy, but he's checking out tomorrow.  He'll probably 'mog' me tomorrow.  He always does.  Sorry for yapping, but I haven't had a weekend like this in a long time.
Haven't worked on WIP in a bit, but can I post in here for wishing I could? I am buried under lesson plans right now. Maybe I'll get to spend a few minutes on it later.  :flower
I reckon so, Shanny.  I do it all the time.
#431 - September 12, 2010, 10:38 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Jane Yolen? Wow, lucky you!

Well, I haven't really got any writing done for a few days, but I've still been working. I got my website looking spanky (not ready to go live just yet, though...) and I've been storyboarding and sketching...so I'm counting it!!

Shanny, I count wishing, too! It means you are thinking about your WIP, which is brainstorming. I've been reading a book on writing first drafts, and the author says that in crafting a novel, 75% is percolating the story in your head, while only 25% is actual writing. I'll totally go along with that, it means we are all working all the time!!
#432 - September 12, 2010, 12:13 PM

@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hey, Artemesia and Thundering, I like that thinking about the WIP counts too.  I feel better now!  :flowers2
#433 - September 12, 2010, 12:53 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

I'll only be think about my W.I.P today.  Myself and John are going to collect the black and white beastie from the cattery in half an hour and he'll probably mog mug me.  Lots of cuddles in order, it's crazy how you can miss something that lies around all day.
I MIGHT get some done today whilst Moggy settles back in.  Hope you are more productive. :cat
#434 - September 13, 2010, 02:54 AM

Juvpoetess

I did thinking about my WIP, too, while I was working this weekend. I'm trying to decide if I like the name of my male protagonist, and whether a character who popped up in my brain will fit my current story. I'll get a chance to write some of this out in word count today.

Here's hoping that the rest of the "thinkers" are able to find the same opportunity soon! Thanks for the encouragement in here.  :love

'Becca
#435 - September 13, 2010, 09:20 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
A good day today! Almost 1300 words and still  :typing!
#436 - September 13, 2010, 02:07 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Woot, mrh!  Nice job.

Barely a paragraph today, but it's something, right?
#437 - September 13, 2010, 07:04 PM
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
About 800 words today. My most hands-on kid has FINALLY fallen asleep, so maybe, if I tiptoe, I can fit in a few more words before I have to go to bed. Shh....
#438 - September 13, 2010, 08:50 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw

Barely a paragraph today, but it's something, right?

Right! And every paragraph is one more paragraph closer to a finished story. CELEBRATE! :congratulations
#439 - September 13, 2010, 10:16 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Right! And every paragraph is one more paragraph closer to a finished story. CELEBRATE! :congratulations
Thanks guys  This gives me a boost, but the Mogster doesn't. He won't let me work 'cos I abandoned him all weekend.  Lots of revision to do so my :whip will have to wait. 
Also making truffles later if anyone's interested in a nibble. :chocolate
#440 - September 14, 2010, 02:19 AM

Yayyy I can post in this thread again! After being blocked/lazy/busy the last couple of days, I finished two whole scenes this morning!! :snoopy Off to do some moreā€¦

Congrats, everyone, on your progress! We rock! :typing
#441 - September 14, 2010, 01:11 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
  • SCBWI PAL
Rewrote the second half of a short YA story today.  My goal is to have it completely rewritten by the end of the week.

God Bless,
Susan :mouse
#442 - September 14, 2010, 01:22 PM
susanameyers.com
Susan York Meyers, Children's and YA Author

MaryWitzl

I've only managed 300 words today, but I'm telling myself that I'm that much further ahead. And tomorrow I'm aiming for a higher count.
#443 - September 14, 2010, 01:42 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I finished another illustration scene today, just pencil, for the dummy. 9 more to go...3 of those need to be in color.  :paint

#444 - September 14, 2010, 01:46 PM

@cynmarko

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Would you believe I LOST the new story I wrote? I guess I'll find it someday... if I ever have time to look for it. If I could only remember the title of it....

:dr :dr :dr (P.S. I think I'm losing it. :duh )
#445 - September 14, 2010, 01:58 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
what?? what do you mean lost? like can't find where you saved it on your computer?

OH, if you scroll back and find the date you posted on here about staying up till 4am writing it (that story?), then you can do a search for all new documents created on that day.
#446 - September 14, 2010, 02:01 PM

@cynmarko

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Oh, you are SO smart, Artemesia. I'll find it. I'm just a bit depressed at the moment and I think I'm looking at the dark side of everything. <searches for sunshine to make things brighter>

:sun THERE IT IS! YAY!

#447 - September 14, 2010, 02:04 PM
Verla Kay

So glad you found it, Verla! :partytime
#448 - September 14, 2010, 02:07 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
YAY!! So glad you found it Verla!!

ETA: wait...did you just mean you found the sunshine... :eh2
#449 - September 14, 2010, 02:26 PM

@cynmarko

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Yep. It's the sunshine I found. I'm sure I'll find the story soon, though. When I have time to look for it.... LOL!
#450 - September 14, 2010, 03:03 PM
Verla Kay

Members: