SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hope you find it, Verla  :crossedfingers  :neck  :crossedfingers

I finallly did more than think about WIP today and knocked off 1300 words. I'm sure most of it's crapola but I'll fix it later. Trying to focus on that fast drafting. So hard sometimes!
#451 - September 14, 2010, 08:08 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Another half page...
#452 - September 14, 2010, 08:28 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Oh, whoops, my reading comprehension is clearly not what it used to be! Please take all the sunshine you want, Verla—it's still in the 100s over here and I'm THOROUGHLY sick of the stuff. :smile And I'm sure you'll find your story soon!! :goodluck
#453 - September 14, 2010, 08:54 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I found it. :yay  After another careful reading, I changed ONE word. But I'm not sure it's strong enough or interesting enough or good enough to submit. It might just be pretty much of a "humdrum" story - something just like everything else out there.

The title needs to change. The focus of the story isn't what I thought it was going to be. I thought it would be history, but it's not. It's just a story. I think I need a second set of eyes on it. I'm sitting on it and it's poking holes in my chair and in my... you know... my butt! :hiding

#454 - September 15, 2010, 09:32 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

The intention was there, the mind wasn't.  I took the easy option and went to Revisionland instead before trying one last time.  But now I am at home at the cat is going mad, chasing after an onion, red chilli pepper and a AA battery around the lounge.  Most distracting, but nowhere to get rid of him.
Oh well, my w.i.p will have to wait until tomorrow.  Can't use  :whip on Moggy.  Tomorrow's another day etc...
#455 - September 15, 2010, 10:17 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Verla, so glad you found it!!  :yay

I bet it's a much better story than you think right now...you were so excited!! I know I cycle between thinking one of my stories is great, to wondering how I could write such drivel  :confused2, to thinking it's great again. I think you are right, and you just need someone else's fresh eyes on it. Maybe because it's different than what you normally write you are having a hard time being objective?
#456 - September 15, 2010, 11:01 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
...Maybe because it's different than what you normally write you are having a hard time being objective?

That could very well be the case. Now I just need to find a couple of outside eyes to look at it for me.
#457 - September 15, 2010, 11:21 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
That could very well be the case. Now I just need to find a couple of outside eyes to look at it for me.

LOL, I think you could have a couple thousand eyes on it if you wanted...Oh Great Mistress of the Boards with her own following of devotees  :bow

Just say the word, Verla, and I bet you'd have more volunteers than you could possibly handle!! (can you see my hand raised from where you're sitting?, lol)
#458 - September 15, 2010, 12:50 PM

@cynmarko

Glad you DID find it, Verla! :yay And I'm sure it's not as humdrum as you think—maybe just needs a little more time. :yup

As for me, I wrote a paragraph today, and then looked at my outline and realized I might need to delete a whole chapter—at the very least it needs to be moved. Rewrites are weird, and hurt my brain. :eh2
#459 - September 15, 2010, 09:53 PM

Tinamarie

Had felt stalled on writing anything new for my draft for about 5 days (instead spent time reading what I've done so far, making small edits, then trying to brainstorm how to proceed).  Finally, last night added 500+ words.  Felt good to move forward, have to keep reminding myself that this is the "Discovery Draft" and it's OK if I'm unsure of certain details or find the need to change things later. 
#460 - September 16, 2010, 09:43 AM

I actually did do some writing today and for once, it was a human character that actually inspired m.  Usually, I don't like working with them, but this one's kind of devious.  I like her personality.  Then the cat started to annoy me, so I left to write some more in my coffee haunt.
Quite a productive day, for a change.
Oh, and I am going to coat my truffles in milk chocolate or dark chocolate after I have eaten.  So, anyone that has worked hard: beer truffles with white chocolate chips on offer, if you want a nibble.  Tuck in. :chocolate
#461 - September 16, 2010, 10:47 AM

Raynbow

Writing. writing. writing. Ahhhhhh! Feels so great. :)
#462 - September 16, 2010, 10:49 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I worked on some color sketches last night to work out how the main cast will look, and I worked some more on my website (it's meant for agents to view the dummy). Getting so close to subbing this. squeee!
#463 - September 16, 2010, 01:07 PM

@cynmarko

My other w.i.p has just been finished.  Four dozen beer-filled chocolate truffles.  At least 20 reserved for the blueboarders, if you want them.
#464 - September 16, 2010, 01:13 PM

Tinamarie

thunderelephants - do you make truffles for work, or just for the fun of it?  You seem to be in constant production!  Such a pity you can't send them for real through the boards, I'd gobble up a dozen in no time, I'm sure.  (Though that would conflict with my goal of shedding a few more pounds before the holiday madness begins...)
#465 - September 16, 2010, 03:44 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Writing. writing. writing. Ahhhhhh! Feels so great. :)

I know. I know. I am so energized working on my WIP right now. I tossed so much changed a lot in this second go-round and I'm so much happier and moving forward much more quickly.
#466 - September 16, 2010, 05:26 PM

I broke down and started cutting the beginning again. I had thought to save it for the next time through, but it needed to be done. I haven't been able to do much work due to back to school meetings and activities. Also my son and I are in potty-training crunch time. It's two weeks until preschool starts, and he has suddenly decided he wants to go back to pull-ups. By evening my brain is so fried I can only open my manuscript and stare at the words. Maybe next week...
#467 - September 16, 2010, 07:03 PM

Having a slight middle-of-the-novel-not-sure-this-is-any-good-or-even-makes-any-sense crisis. Will try again tomorrow. :bricks
#468 - September 16, 2010, 10:36 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hey Joanna,

I just spent the last week or two in that same place, throwing out a lot as I reworked where things were going. PAINFUL. Are you doing the CYD challenge? (can't remember who is on which part of the board) Anne and Lesley have been posting a lot of links to interviews with great authors with tips to get through stuff like this, and I was particularly inspired by today's:
Guest post from Tera Lynn Childs about suckage http://lesleysays.livejournal.com/

Good luck to you in pushing through!

#469 - September 17, 2010, 04:17 AM

thunderelephants - do you make truffles for work, or just for the fun of it?  You seem to be in constant production!  Such a pity you can't send them for real through the boards, I'd gobble up a dozen in no time, I'm sure.  (Though that would conflict with my goal of shedding a few more pounds before the holiday madness begins...)
Tina, I am unemployed.  I have nothing else to do except write.  So you could say it is for the fun of it, but these days I take it more seriously.  An associate of mine has a stall at a farmer's market tomorrow.  I might take a few out there.  As for the truffles.  Only three ingredients:99% chocolate, unsalted butter and beer.  Not that fattening really.  That's been my W.I.P for the last few days.  I'd like to do some writing today, with my faithful cappucino beside me.  I really have to escape the other two beasts.  It is a hard task.
#470 - September 17, 2010, 05:11 AM

kiperoo,

Thanks for the encouragement and the inspiring link!! I'm not actually participating in the CYD challenge, as I'm in the middle of a revision and didn't think I would be adding 25k worth of new material to the novel, but I AM trying to power through the rest of it—it's SO HARD! But you've inspired me to NOT watch Netflix TV shows this morning and actually work on the darn thing. :shh So thank you for that as well! And good luck on finishing your draft!! :cheerleader
#471 - September 17, 2010, 10:36 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I worked on some color sketches last night to work out how the main cast will look, and I worked some more on my website (it's meant for agents to view the dummy). Getting so close to subbing this. squeee!

I love your chicken baseball player! They combine two of my favorite things.  (Not that I would own a live chicken, that's another story)

I have gone to town reworking and writing on my WIP.  MY BIC has been working!   :woo

#472 - September 19, 2010, 01:24 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Raynbow

I tossed so much changed a lot in this second go-round and I'm so much happier and moving forward much more quickly.

That's exactly where I am, except it's the third-go-round. lol
#473 - September 19, 2010, 02:17 PM

Tinamarie

Tina, I am unemployed.  I have nothing else to do except write.  So you could say it is for the fun of it, but these days I take it more seriously.  An associate of mine has a stall at a farmer's market tomorrow.  I might take a few out there.  As for the truffles.  Only three ingredients:99% chocolate, unsalted butter and beer.  Not that fattening really.  That's been my W.I.P for the last few days.  I'd like to do some writing today, with my faithful cappucino beside me.  I really have to escape the other two beasts.  It is a hard task.

Well I wish you happy truffle selling, cappucino swilling, and writing.

(Not sure I've heard of beer truffles before, will have to keep my eyes open for them here in LA and try them some day)
#474 - September 19, 2010, 05:28 PM

Well I wish you happy truffle selling, cappucino swilling, and writing.

(Not sure I've heard of beer truffles before, will have to keep my eyes open for them here in LA and try them some day)
A rare commodity: I've goggled googled it.  They are popular in Germany and Belgium, unsurprisingly, but I am always handing them out here so feel free to nibble.  And they are not that fattening, honestly.  I am only eight stone.
As for writing, furry laptop prevented me this morning from doing anything significant.  He tramples over the keyboad quite a bit.  Oh well, time to get out the A4 writing pad and do some revision instead.  
Sometimes the old ways are the best. :cat :voodoo :writing3 :coffee :writing
Left the lads at home and packed myself for my coffee and retail necessities.  I have to admit, I suppose I should remove voodoo from the Mogster.  He provided me with quite a bit inspiration over my writing stint.  Now, I have to get on with the mundane tasks, so no more writing.  Still, at least I got something done.  And my character is quite with himself.  For once.

Enjoy your writing, guys.  Have to turn this thing off in a few minutes.
#475 - September 20, 2010, 03:26 AM
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:10 AM by thunderingelephants »

Raynbow

I just deleted 6000 words from my wip.  :cry2  :faint  :cry2 But it's going to be so much better than it was. Still:  :cry2 :cry2 :cry2
#476 - September 20, 2010, 06:28 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Oh, Raynbow -- 6000 is nothing! I think when all is said and done, I'll have trashed about 30,000!
#477 - September 20, 2010, 06:33 AM

Raynbow

Oh, Raynbow -- 6000 is nothing! I think when all is said and done, I'll have trashed about 30,000!

:ahh :ahh :ahh :ahh :ahh :ahh Jude!!!!
#478 - September 20, 2010, 06:40 AM

Poster Plus

:faint 30,000! Ouch!!

I've managed a few hundred on my WIP so far today - hopefully get more done this evening. I'm around 10K in, which is usually the point where my initial giddy intoxication with the idea succumbs to reality and I realise my beginning is All Wrong, but that hasn't hit me yet. Maybe I started in exactly the right place for once! *crossed fingers*
#479 - September 20, 2010, 06:59 AM
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:01 AM by Emily G »

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Hmm, with my little 250 - 350 word stories, if I were to trash 30,000 words, I'd be at minus 85 to 120 complete books!  :lol
#480 - September 20, 2010, 10:34 AM
Verla Kay

Members: