SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Raynbow makes excellent points.  :)  You definitely can do it, Verla!

I made good headway on chapter five today. Yay!!  Am hoping to get a bit more done tonight...

Sending productive thoughts out to everyone!!

Tabitha
#721 - November 10, 2010, 03:44 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Been working on the color cover for my dummy...man, this stuff is hard!!  :feelbad

I need an egg nog latte...anyone join me??  :coffee
#722 - November 10, 2010, 04:49 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Tinamarie

Am returning very sheepishly to this thread after a long bout of no work on the WIP to report that I wrote a whole chapter - over 2,500 words - hurray!  Given how slow a writer I am, that's a lot for me.  And I made brief notes on each of the chapters that remain to be written.  The key was making a writing date at the library with my critique buddies.  Unfortunately, will be a long time before my schedule permits allocating another big chunk of time like that to writing.  For the next couple months, will simply have to make better use of those smaller chunks of time....

Good luck to everyone with all your projects!
#723 - November 10, 2010, 08:52 PM

Artemesia, got my egg nog latte right here.   :coffee  Those specialty lattes are one of the things I look forward to most during the holidays.  :)

Tinamarie, yay for that whole chapter!!!  That's great!!  I have a similar schedule, and always get the most done when I meet up with a fellow writer.  There's something inspiring about hearing someone else clack-clacking away at a keyboard, isn't there?  :)

I finished chapter 5 last night, and am off to start chapter 6.   :typing  Happy writing, everyone!!

Tabitha
#724 - November 11, 2010, 07:50 AM

It seems like everyone's having a productive week. Me, too! I've written 3k in the last two days, and have completed 5 out of 7 chapters that are the final ones of my novel. It will come out over the minimum, but I had to just write it instead of obsessing about the word count.  :duh  I'll fix it in revision. Uh, yeah. Sure I will...

Sending out happy, productive thoughts to all of us determined writers (and illustrators, Artemesia).  :goodluck
#725 - November 11, 2010, 01:09 PM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Sending out happy, productive thoughts to all of us determined writers (and illustrators, Artemesia).  :goodluck

thanks, Laura. lol, I write, too, tho, so I should get twice the happy productive thoughts.   ;)

hooray for progress, everyone!!
#726 - November 11, 2010, 01:15 PM

@cynmarko

Tinamarie

Tinamarie, yay for that whole chapter!!!  That's great!!  I have a similar schedule, and always get the most done when I meet up with a fellow writer.  There's something inspiring about hearing someone else clack-clacking away at a keyboard, isn't there?  :)

ITabitha

Thanks, Tabitha!  This was the first time I got together with my writing buddies to write rather than critique.  In addition to enjoying the solidarity, it also prevented me from giving up earlier than our agreed-upon end time to wander the nearby shopping mall and stuff my face with chocolate chip cookies.  I need strong reinforcements for my writing time accountability, clearly.
#727 - November 11, 2010, 01:33 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I worked on my novel today. Took out a few words, added a couple of words. Then gave up. My heart just is NOT in this version of the story. <sigh> :voodoo
#728 - November 11, 2010, 05:47 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

I worked on my novel today. Took out a few words, added a couple of words. Then gave up. My heart just is NOT in this version of the story. <sigh> :voodoo
:hug
Hope you don't mind that, Verla.  I know exactly how you feel. Since John finished his job in September, I've been finding it really hard to concentrate. I just can't work with him around.  I am not blaming him in the slightest.  It is just an unfortunate set of events and we'll have to work around them.  Also, my mp3 died and I can't work without music.  It blocks everything and everyone out.

Maybe you should just turn off the computer for a while and relax. Then just think, but don't write.  That sometimes helps me when I find my characters getting stuck in a rut. I try to look at the situation from the character's POV and see if they offer advice on what they would do if they were writing about me.  That probably sounds bonkers, but turning the tables seems to fit.

Anyway, best of luck and if all of that sounds crazy, I apologise.

Leaving the boys at home later and going in to work with my cats.  One of the characters is really annoying me and I want to put him straight.
#729 - November 12, 2010, 02:27 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I appreciate everyone's suggestions. My problem is not with the story. It's not with anything but ME. There's something that feels so... WRONG to me about trying to get INTO my dead parents' heads and BE THEM when they were just barely in their twenties. If I can get past that, I'll have a chance to write this story.

It's also an extremely difficult story for me to write because my heart isn't in it. This novel version is NOT the story I want to write. It's what I've been told I HAVE to write if I want this book to ever sell. And I really, really, really want this story to be out there - to sell. I've been working for seven years on this as NON-FICTION. Totally non-fiction. I'm finding it almost impossible to pull away from the non-fiction and turn it into fiction.

And my second big problem with writing this book is "voice." The few people that I've shared what I've written so far with have all told me the exact same thing. You are writing this in a PICTURE BOOK VOICE and it doesn't sound like a YA story. Well, DUH. Picture books are all I've written (and sold) for the past 16 years. It's not easy to find another kind of voice after spending that long working on perfecting a picture book voice - you know?

When I sit in front of the computer screen, I feel like  :bangcomputer. There's no thrill of writing. No enjoyment in it. It's like going to the dentist. (Sorry for any dentists that might be on board, but I HATE going to the dentist!) It's just downright painful and uncomfortable and not a good feeling. My stomach ties itself in  :knotted  :knotted and I feel almost  :feelbad. It's making it very, very difficult to work on this book.
#730 - November 12, 2010, 06:41 AM
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:44 AM by Verla Kay »
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Verla, do you think you might get any interest in writing this as ADULT non-fiction? Do you have any contacts in the adult publishing world that might have any insights for you?

But I have to agree with Salina, if it's making you so unhappy, you absolutely don't have to write it that way. You got two people's opinion that said write it as fiction...but we all know how many rounds something can go through, how many people say no...but it only takes one to say yes. The passion is there for the NF version, maybe you should finish it that way. If you hate the fiction version, how can you expect that anyone else will love it enough to publish it?

Stop torturing yourself, if you believe strongly enough in the NF version, whether you write it as adult or YA, someone else will too.

We're all pulling for you, Verla!!!  :grouphug2
#731 - November 12, 2010, 08:57 AM

@cynmarko

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
LOL, SYoon and Artemesia. The points you both brought up are exactly what's making me so resistant to doing this story this way. BUT... I've also seen flashes of what it COULD be if it were done well, and that has me determined to at least give it a good try. If it doesn't turn around, though, in a reasonable amount of time (I'm thinking maybe six months or so of working on it this way) then I'm going to pursue another non-fiction avenue - either the adult non-fiction or perhaps something else. I just talked to one of the people at an aviation museum that has people specializing in WWII aviation history and they might be interested in helping me work something out on this story. I KNOW there is a way to do it. I just want it to be done in a way that will allow the story to shine in the best possible way it can. If that's fiction, then so be it. If it's non-fiction, then hooray! But whatever it is, I WILL get this story done and published somehow - even if I end up doing it myself as a Print-on-Demand book or something like that. The passion is there for the story - I just haven't gotten the venue right. Yet. (YET, being the definitive word, here!)
#732 - November 12, 2010, 09:18 AM
Verla Kay

I know. I know, Raynbow. It's just unbelievably HARD to change this totally non-fiction story into FICTION. I've been working on it, thinking of it as non-fiction for SEVEN YEARS now. To suddenly change it to fiction is extremely (and I do mean EXTREMELY) difficult for me. I don't take well to changes. I'm too OLD to take well to changes.

:banghead
Never too old, Verla.  I feel I'm sometimes for writing in this market and I am "only" 37.
Got my manuscript about ten minutes ago. Now, I have to back to Revisionland but I am going to leave that for a few weeks. If I start now, I will probably rip the story up.

Verla,
I really do wish you luck with your work.  It's truly hard when you want to write but don't know where to go next, as I am sure you know.  We are all definitely rooting for on the boards.
I am in so much awe of your determination.  I wish I had it!
 :grouphug2
TE
#733 - November 12, 2010, 11:21 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Verla, I had a thought. What if you were to compose an author's note now? Explain that the characters are fictitious, but the story was inspired by/based on the real life experiences of your parents, and the setting by true historical events. Maybe writing this will help you to separate in your own mind your parents from fictional characters, allowing you the freedom to write them and fictionalize the parts that you can't know (inner thoughts, dialogue, any chronological holes in your father's journal), while still honoring your parents and telling their story. It might be worth a try.
#734 - November 13, 2010, 11:22 AM

@cynmarko

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
And another great idea comes forth! Thanks, Artemesia.

You have all been so helpful with GREAT suggestions on how I can manage to get past the mental blocks I have on this story. :thankyou

I'm working on it. I am.
#735 - November 13, 2010, 11:34 AM
Verla Kay

Great to hear, Verla.
Can I be a real pain and share the good news that after John ordered me some truffle molds last week, they arrived on Wednesday and I thought it would kill me to figure it out. BUT I actually worked on it diligently until I sorted it, then I ran out of chocolate!  However, if anyone's interested milk and dark chocolate truffle filled bars, I'd gladly hand them out. :chocolate

Also worked on my story for half and only got fifty words done.  It all counts, hopefully.
Keep it up! :grouphug2
#736 - November 13, 2010, 12:17 PM

Ok, I've been absent for a while, but wanted to sneak back in.  I've been working on my WIP for a while now, I started back in December of last year. Yikes! :paperbag  My goal is to finish it by the end of the month for two reasons, ok, maybe three.  First, I want to finish it before the holidays bog me down and I won't have time to finish it.  Second, because I don't want to accept that it's been almost a year since I started it.  And third, I'm going to a conference in Aprli, and I know how long it takes for revisions, so I want to get it revised and polished by then.  Does anyone else have deadlines they are working towards?   I guess you could say it's my own little NaNoWriMo. :oncomputer
#737 - November 13, 2010, 10:02 PM

Verla - I admire your determination. That's why you're so successful. Remember this is a first draft and give yourself permission to suck. We all suck in our first drafts.  :ahh
Artemesia - Wow! I liked that author's note idea. It may help make the idea that it's fiction more real.  :cupcake
Thundering -  Yes, fifty words counts. Keep up the good work!!  :cheerleader

I finished another chapter, the second to last.  (I've written 16.7k since I started this month! :chesirecat ) However, this chapter was like pullling teeth. The climax is complicated and needs to have various threads woven together while keeping the action going. Still not done yet. I have crits to do today, and will embark on the final chapter Monday. I'm getting really tired...
#738 - November 14, 2010, 12:37 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
I had to jump in here too!
First- thank you so much Verla for this board- have looked at it for years, read the archives of the chats with agents and editors and been so educated by what I have learned- ! Double thank you!
Now freelancing full time- it is helping me stay sane- working at home all day looking at my dogs!
A book on WW2 Aviation- is wonderful- I was down in Tucson last spring and went to the Aviation museum and to see the planes and the places the crewman stuck their bodies into for long flights - tiny holes in the huge bombers was amazing- it is sure a story that needs to be told-
 I am working on a WW2 novel too- set in Utah involving the Manhatten Project''s  need for Uranium.

Right now am cutting and pasting other attempt at the novel together- think I have written the First Act, ohhhh 5 times- yeah I know it needs to just be stinky- and move on to ACT 2- anybody else have that problem-
plus I have  sooooo many files on your computer of sections of my  novel I can't  find what I need- I'd be good to go through all of them today and do some recycle bin tossing - just so I can keep it all straight- maybe will be able to report back tomorrow that I was able to organize everything. 
#739 - November 14, 2010, 07:22 AM

:ohnoI am really starting to wish that I could write on the computer.  I wrote what I thought was a plot with good characters and I lost the whole hard copy document.  Can't find it anywhere so I'll have to start again.  It makes me want to  :grrr
#740 - November 14, 2010, 08:59 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
EEK, thunderingelephants. Look in the freezer and behind the sofa. That's where I usually find missing things. :lol
#741 - November 14, 2010, 01:20 PM
Verla Kay

Got about 1700 words written today!  I was hoping for a bit more, but I'll take it!!  :)

:ohnoI am really starting to wish that I could write on the computer.  I wrote what I thought was a plot with good characters and I lost the whole hard copy document.  Can't find it anywhere so I'll have to start again.  It makes me want to  :grrr
AUGH!!!  Talk about  :bangcomputer :bangcomputer :bangcomputer 
I really hope you find it. There's nothing more frustrating than losing a bunch of work like that. 

Tabitha
#742 - November 15, 2010, 05:39 PM

I didn't have a chance to write much last week--I was too busy being a mother, wife, and birthday girl. However, now the emergencies, bank holidays, and celebrations are past and I can settle down to work again.

The new direction I wanted to take on Chapter Three required me to go back and make still more changes to Chapter Two, so that's where i am now...again. <sigh>

Today, however, I found myself filling in details for subsequent books. The ideas had been kicking around in my mind for a while, and I finally sat down and jotted them into the appropriate files. So, it's kind of like working on my WIP, isn't it?
#743 - November 15, 2010, 08:56 PM
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:58 PM by Michelle DP »

Anything jotted is a w.i.p., in my estimation anyway.
John's gone off to see the witch his mother, so I have a bit of time to myself.  I have decided to write the story again and got some jottings on the basic plot and characters.
Now I need some really disgusting food to horrify the headmaster.  Maybe one of my curry truffles could work...hmm...   They weren't my idea, by the way. My father asked for them :rip.  He is still aliv...but for how long? :eh2

Editing this post to clarify: John is not strictly my partner, but we have lived with each other for nearly fifteen years.  His mother has always hated and refuses to have anthing to do with me.

Still, while John was there,I got three hundred written.  Got very wet, but my story's safe so I don't care.  I'm happy.
Hope your writing goes well, too.
#744 - November 16, 2010, 04:02 AM
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:54 AM by thunderingelephants »

Michelle -  :music Happy Birthday!  :sing

Thundering - "the witch" - You crack me up! :dr

I got 1500 done on my final chapter today. I expect to finish tomorrow.  :crossedfingers
#745 - November 16, 2010, 10:02 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Thundering... I do hope your MIL doesn't have access to this message board. :faint And, curry truffles? Now that is truly EVIL. :skull :devil :voodoo

Hooray on 1500 words and being SO close to the end, Laura_6!

Thanks for all the support everyone. I needed it and am feeling better about my current writing efforts every day.

It's so encouraging to read about everyone's progress... large and small. They all add up and they all count.

:ladder
#746 - November 16, 2010, 10:25 AM
Verla Kay

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
It's so encouraging to read about everyone's progress... large and small. They all add up and they all count.

I must agree! I've still been plugging away too - some days better than others - but it always feels good to come here and see everyone else working hard. Nice work, people!
#747 - November 16, 2010, 03:26 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
 Got very wet, but my story's safe so I don't care.  I'm happy.
Hope your writing goes well, too.

What's that quote- " you make me curious and curiouser "...about what happens in your day- now I want to know how you got wet and did you find your lost pages?

I worked on my illustration WIP of a series of Valentine's card- yes - Valentine's cards- and hope to switch back to my Writing WIP tomorrow.
#748 - November 16, 2010, 07:40 PM

What's that quote- " you make me curious and curiouser "...about what happens in your day- now I want to know how you got wet and did you find your lost pages?

I worked on my illustration WIP of a series of Valentine's card- yes - Valentine's cards- and hope to switch back to my Writing WIP tomorrow.
Julia,
Most people who read my posts here on the boards know that I can't write at home.  I do it in a very public coffee shop, where it can be noisy. But that is how I operate best.  The buzz around me gives me inspiration.  Although it's noisy, I seem to be able to block it off and write. 
I haven't found my lost pages, the manscript is going to be written again. I ended up re-writing so much of my last manuscript that it turned into something completely
different.
Hope you are productive again today.  I might be.

#749 - November 17, 2010, 02:08 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
T.E.
yes- I caught you work at a coffeeshop- I like that too- never could work in a libaray too quite! and I would love to work everyday somewhere interesting like that- I live way out in the country so have to plan such things- but need to do it- periodically for sanity- was curious how you got wet! did  you walk to coffeeshop and did the weather turning blustery?

A lot of writers I know- work in coffee shops in the morning- about 4-5 hours and that is their writing limit for the day- two or three is mine and then the rest of day is spent  illustrating-

Glad you dont need the missing pages anymore-
well here is to a productive day on our WIP-
was planning on heading in to C.S. to write- but daughter sick home with a stomach thing!
#750 - November 17, 2010, 08:05 AM

Members: