SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Thanks for the birthday wish, Laura

Verla, I am glad to hear you are making progress.

I, too, made some progress today. It's miniscule, but it's there. Generally, I like writing dialogue, but today I could happily do without it.Maybe it will sound better tomorrow.
#751 - November 17, 2010, 12:37 PM

Spent my afternoon pickling...again.  The thought of gherkins churns my stomach.  Came home, tried a truffle and felt so much better!
#752 - November 17, 2010, 12:49 PM

I'm FINISHED!  :yay

2700 words finished the last chapter.  :turnblue Of course, after I got over the thrill of being done, I decided I'm not happy with it. *sigh* I'm off to Revisionland to whip the thing into shape.

Best of luck to all who are so devoted to their WIP and to this inspirational board.  :hearts
#753 - November 17, 2010, 04:55 PM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I got 1006 words into a new chapter today on my WWII POW WIP. It stinks. But it's written! :-)
#754 - November 17, 2010, 05:59 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Yay, Verla! That's how my writing goes too, it stinks but it's written! That is what revising is for, right? I love revising. Anyway I keep forgetting to post here. Wrote 3K yesterday and 2K today. 8k left on my projected wordcount. I must finish before Tuesday when I have to start planning/prepping the big turkey dinner!  :turkey
#755 - November 17, 2010, 08:38 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thundering, I have always wanted to write at the local coffee shop, but i am afraid of two things. One, someone might ask me what I am doing and I really don't want to talk about it, you know? Two, I'm afraid someone will hold up the place and steal my laptop on their way out.

Just a little paranoid  :hiding
#756 - November 17, 2010, 08:40 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I finished a color spread tonight!! YAY!! And I finished a little scene for the landing page of my website....one more color spread and that baby is going out!!

#757 - November 18, 2010, 12:50 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

I got 1006 words into a new chapter today on my WWII POW WIP. It stinks. But it's written! :-)
Well done, Verla.

Thundering, I have always wanted to write at the local coffee shop, but i am afraid of two things. One, someone might ask me what I am doing and I really don't want to talk about it, you know? Two, I'm afraid someone will hold up the place and steal my laptop on their way out.

Just a little paranoid  :hiding
Apparently I have a "I don't want to be disturbed" look on my face when I am writing.  It can be great because people who are regulars ther know I am busy and just pass by and ask how my characters are coming along. At least they appreciate I take my writing seriously (more than be said for my family, but that's a different issue).

More work this afternoon, I hope. 

OT:I must also post off those curry truffles to my father. They are so disgusting, even as a writer I can't describe them, but here goes: smooth and creamy shell that has nice crunch with creamy ganache that tastes nice until it hits your throat.  Then you are on fire.  What was my father thinking?  John likes them though and thinks I should give to the bar, it'll drum up business for customers gagging for a drink after.
#758 - November 18, 2010, 02:25 AM

Tinamarie

Congratulations, Laura, on FINISHING.  I can't wait to be ablet to say that word (my self-imposed deadline for finishing my WIP is Jan 30, 2011)

And congratulations to everyone else, I'm so impressed by how productive you've all been.  Verla, so glad to hear you're chugging away despite finding the process painful.

I added a measly 267 words today, but the key was that I finally broke the ice on a new chapter I'd been avoiding...(needs to include a big argument, trying to work up some heat in my fingertips for it)

Between now and early Jan (b/c of work deadlines, family visiting, holiday travels, etc), I anticipate squeezing in just these dribs and drabs of writing, but I tell myself it's better than nothing!

#759 - November 18, 2010, 02:10 PM

Congratulations, Laura, on FINISHING.  I can't wait to be ablet to say that word (my self-imposed deadline for finishing my WIP is Jan 30, 2011)

And congratulations to everyone else, I'm so impressed by how productive you've all been.  Verla, so glad to hear you're chugging away despite finding the process painful.

I added a measly 267 words today, but the key was that I finally broke the ice on a new chapter I'd been avoiding...(needs to include a big argument, trying to work up some heat in my fingertips for it)
Between now and early Jan (b/c of work deadlines, family visiting, holiday travels, etc), I anticipate squeezing in just these dribs and drabs of writing, but I tell myself it's better than nothing!

Please humour me and don't use the term "measly".  For long-handers like myself, that's hard going.  No work yet, have to abandon the boys first and get the pen and paper out with my  :coffee :coffee

There are advantages to the fact that I can't use the internet (John's hijacked my modem).  I trotted into town and wrote for over an hour and a half.  Also met with a teacher who I know briefly.  She read the intro to my latest story.  "Your headmaster character is truly horrible...my students would love him".  I took it as a compliment.  Think I got around three hundred written today, so at least I accomplished something.
#760 - November 19, 2010, 07:51 AM
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:26 AM by thunderingelephants »

Tinamarie - Thanks so much for your support. Your 267 words isn't measly. Nothing's measly if you get something down on the page. Keep up the good work!
Artemesia - Yay! Good luck on that final color spead!
Verla - That's the way! Try not to judge it - just concentrate on getting it down. Plenty of time for revision later.

Everyone's doing so well.  :grouphug2 Thanks for all your encouragement!
#761 - November 20, 2010, 07:08 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
thanks, Laura! My cg told me I have enough color samples without doing one more spread, so on Thursday I sent my first agent query....now it's the waiting game!!! Back to the storyboards and the YA to keep me busy so the waiting doesn't kill me!!  :knotted

everyone here has been awesomely supportive...you guys rock!!  :grouphug2

#762 - November 20, 2010, 09:02 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Juvpoetess

Earlier this week, I submitted my first critique to the MG cg I joined this fall. So far, one of the members has shared her thoughts. Most of what she suggested is very fair, and helps me think about my WIP in a new way. It's funny to have blind spots pointed out. We really are too close to our writing sometimes, huh? About two percent of the suggestions are a difference of style. Is that typical of your critiques?

Now I feel like I can dig back into my work, and add scenes around some that were confusing to the critiquer.

'Becca 
#763 - November 20, 2010, 05:18 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
When critique comments I get on my stories are due to a difference of style, unless they "feel right" to me, I don't use them. Each of us has a different way of telling our stories, and you need to stay true to your story, to the way you want to tell  your story. Comments that are made that improve the story YOU want to tell? Now those are comments that I immediately put into effect to see if they will make my story better. (Even when I don't like them, I still TRY them out. Sometimes I'm very pleasantly surprised at the improvement in my story because of those changes.)
#764 - November 20, 2010, 07:48 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I looked at my editor's comments and said, "Tomorrow."
#765 - November 20, 2010, 07:54 PM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

It's Sunday.  I'll be alone and I will write at least fifty words.  You see if I don't!  Now, if I could manage to multiply that by at least ten I would be happy, but there's as much of a chance of that as getting published.
Truffles are being handed out later, by the way.
#766 - November 21, 2010, 05:42 AM

RachelGlenn

2,897 words on ye old WIP today . . . I love lazy Sundays.  (:
#767 - November 21, 2010, 06:52 PM

Between today and last night, I've added 3K to my WIP!!   :snoopy  The night is young, and I plan on at least another 500 which will mean I will have hit the 40K mark. :yay
#768 - November 21, 2010, 07:26 PM

I will be eternally jealous of you guys who can write that much.  BUT, I did manage to iron the creases out from my characters and get a good bit done.  Don't know how much that was (I couldn't be bothered counting), but I am happy with what I did write.
#769 - November 22, 2010, 02:39 AM

Go Rachel and Tara! Very impressive word totals there.  :smile
Thundering - Everyone works at different speeds. On another site, I'm known as the "tortoise" because I'm so slow! :dr
Juvpoetess - Funny you should bring up cg's. I have several great groups, but unless they all agree that something big has to change (as opposed to little word tweaks), I only change things that I "feel" are right. I guess I'm very democratic that way! I'll go with the concensus.  One of my critters is a slush-pile reader; she's been a great teacher/mentor to me, but she has some strange ideas about my novel now - none of the other critters agree with her, so I'm going with my gut instinct and not doing it her way.
We'll see ...  :neck
#770 - November 22, 2010, 05:29 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hi, all. I haven't been around that much for a while, but I recently started a new MS, so I thought I'd jump in. My goal is 1,200 words/day. Today I got a little over 1,400! Hooray!

Tara and Rachel--Yow! You guys rock.
#771 - November 22, 2010, 06:16 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Juvpoetess

Thanks, Laura_6. That's a sensible way to sift out what critters (great word!) tell you. Once I get a couple different viewpoints, I'll see if any of their larger points are the same. I think my WIP's biggest fault is that I ran out of steam about halfway through, and I'm the kind of writer who bounces from scene to scene-- not linear, you know? I'm just about ready to write a chapter one, which might go a long way to helping my cg understand what the heck I'm aiming at.  :lol2

I appreciated your comments, Verla. Almost forget to thank you!  :uhuh
'Becca
#772 - November 22, 2010, 06:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I keep forgetting to post here.

3,900 words today. I am a chapter away from starting revisions! (we had a :snow day today so I didn't have to work and the kids played outside a lot and I drank tons of coffee)
#773 - November 22, 2010, 10:42 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I will be eternally jealous of you guys who can write that much.  BUT, I did manage to iron the creases out from my characters and get a good bit done.  Don't know how much that was (I couldn't be bothered counting), but I am happy with what I did write.
Thundering, I love a happy writing day, no matter what the wordcount.  :chickendance
#774 - November 22, 2010, 10:44 PM
Twitter @Shannywriter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Hey guys!

Wow, so impressed with everyone. What I love about this club is watching the everyday progress, know what I mean? It's just so nice to see people continuing to chug along, whether it's thousands of new words (way to go!) or refining characters (also awesome).

I'm likewise working on revising my WIP every day over here and am loving it! 
#775 - November 23, 2010, 02:06 AM

Well, I did manage to get around to counting my word accumulation on W.I.P.  That was a little by accident.  I joined John in a coffee shop before he went off to visit the witch his mother.  Then I wrote a little and did the shopping, went to another shop and wrote some more.  Four hundred.  I'll definitely take that.  Another cold  :coffee, but that always.  Funny how I always finish it, but never at home.
#776 - November 23, 2010, 02:18 AM

I finally finished the scene I have been working on for a week or so and actually moved on to the next bit, which isn't going to need nearly as much revising. I'm hoping to be out of chapter three by the end of November.

Juvpoetess, I have a crit group member who's style is a lot sparer than mine. She gives me great feedback, but our styles clash. She always suggests tons of cuts to my manuscripts, and I always ask for more details when reading hers. Still, she does cause me to evaluate every wordI use, which is good.
#777 - November 23, 2010, 10:16 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
1,214 words on my WIP today. My characters took off in a spontaneous direction for about half of the writing session, and I think I like where they went. We'll see if I leave it there when I revise or not.

Juvopoetess, if you can tell that the comments just come from a different style than yours, that's great, dismiss them. When my critters make comments, most seem absolutely right to me. I try to keep my mind open about the comments that seem wrong. I don't make the changes, but I file them away in my head. Sometimes--not always, by any means, but often enough--I come around to agreeing with them later.

#778 - November 23, 2010, 11:09 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
1,206 today. I'm barely hitting my word count goal, but I'm hitting it. I think I'm actually going to keep a lot of it, too, which is great. It'll need revision, of course, but it's chugging along.
#779 - November 24, 2010, 10:07 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I "thought" a lot about my WIP last night. Read a bunch in my new "How-To" book on writing a YA novel. Got some interesting ideas and plan to implement some of them later today. YAY! No actual "writing" yet, but ideas are spinning in my head like whirlwinds, so I feel I'm making progress, even though it's not tangible - yet.
#780 - November 24, 2010, 12:29 PM
Verla Kay

Members: