SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Amykated -- I hope your little guy feels better soon. 2 1/2 pages is a pretty big accomplishment during a little nap. Props to you for making progress at all on a hard day.

Thundering -- I hope you're feeling better soon. Best of luck with your medical stuff.

I seem to be getting rolling again. I've decided that I've made good progress with my haphazard planning method, but that I need to push myself to put it all together into something coherent that I can refer to while writing. I spent the morning working out one of those 9-point plot diagrams I've seen people on these boards describing. Really helpful. It helped me make some directional decisions I've been hemming and hawing about. I'm going to start on a more detailed outline tomorrow.
#841 - December 08, 2010, 11:34 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Melissa, have you heard of the W Plot? It's one of the best plotting techniques I've read about. Here's a link to a blog post about it: http://kathleenwall.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/wow-for-the-w-plot/

I had an epiphany last night about a major plot contrivance in my rewrite. So, went back and revised the 32 pages I'd just revised. Woot for progress!
#842 - December 08, 2010, 01:37 PM
Twitter: @rs_gignilliat
www.rsgignilliat.com

I cut 100 words out of my manuscript today. I think I may finally have gotten this particular scene where it needs to be. I'll go over it again tomorrow and see if I like it as much then as I did today--or maybe Friday. I have to work the bookfair at my kids' school tomorrow.
#843 - December 08, 2010, 07:21 PM

Thanks guys,
I was at my mum's last night and wobbled all over the place!  I'm also freezing.  It's four degrees here which isn't that cold so my stepdad is taking me to the hospital tomorrow.  I managed a few words this morning and really enjoyed it.  I've never created such a devious character before.  He's pretty mad and that's not something I am used to.
Anyway, I am shutting down and getting the pen and paper out.
Talk to you after.

Speaking of plots, has no-one ever heard of spider plotting?
#844 - December 09, 2010, 05:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Raynbow--Thanks! I haven't heard about W plotting before. At a glance, it looks great. I've been shopping around for good plot techniques. Lack of good plot organization has killed some of my previous manuscripts, so I've been messing around with a lot of techniques to kind of figure out what works for me best. It means I'm spending an insane amount of time on the planning stages of my current novel, but I figure it's worth it.

Michelle--Glad you made progress. Sometimes cutting is harder work than adding.

Thundering--I've heard of spider plotting. I know a some people who swear by it. It's not one that works for me, for some reason, but I

I worked on plotting again today.
#845 - December 09, 2010, 11:26 AM

amykated

I bookmarked the W plot page.  After reading her explanations that go along with it I think that I already do kind of use a W plan for my plot.  However, that may just be wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for sharing it with us Raynbow.

Also, thanks for all the well wishes for the boy.  He's still got it, whatever it is. I hope that it goes away soon.  We're supposed to have a birthday party at our house this weekend and I don't want to be passing germs along to the entire extended family right before Christmas.

In the last two days I've written about 6 and a half pages.  I'm trudging along.  :camel Don't know that I'm gonna finish it before January, but I'm trying. And given the obstacles that have been thrown in my way I think I'm doing quite alright.

#846 - December 09, 2010, 12:53 PM

Tracey N

I'm brand spankin new here but I had to post: I finished the first draft of my WIP! I was hoping to be done by Jan 1 so I'm pleasantly surprised. Of course, it's spare and needs plenty of editing but for now? Happy dance!

Hope everyone's having a productive day. :)
#847 - December 10, 2010, 10:29 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Yay Tracey! Now you can relax and enjoy the crazy time of year and let your draft simmer. Nice!

I'm close to the end! I need a big emotional moment and I need the action climax and a denouement. I just want to  :giddyup to the end, but first I have to take care of present ordering (small town = no stores to do Christmas shopping at). And my kids are suffering from extreme wakefulness, and I can't seem to find any time to be ALONE. Some parts of the book I just have to hit right the first time, emotionally. So I'm holding off and hoping that this weekend there will be a quiet moment where I can do some intense writing.
#848 - December 10, 2010, 10:37 AM

amykated

Congrats Tracey! It's my goal to finish my first draft before January as well.

Well, no new words on my WIP and I don't anticipate being able to work on it at all today.  Gotta get the house ready for a birthday party, which means I have to clean, clean, clean. YUCK!   I did, however, write a piece of flash fiction that I absolutely love. The idea struck me in the middle of the night and amazingly the words were all still there fresh in my mind when I woke up this morning.  Inspiration feels wonderful.  I love you muse! Come back again tonight!
#849 - December 10, 2010, 11:08 AM
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 11:55 AM by amykated »

Roll on Sunday.  That's usually my creative day.  My spider plots have kind of wilted at the moment, but I'm still on track.
At the hospital today and told exactly what the doctor told, then another one contradicted what first doctor and gp told me.  John wants the computer and furry laptop has been on his own all day, so I think he wants a cuddle.
Just about to go and smash some chocolate.  That's sometimes worse than writer's cramp but just as rewarding in a completely different way. Don't quite get the same feeling of achievement though.
#850 - December 10, 2010, 11:30 AM

Tracey N

...but first I have to take care of present ordering

Technically that's what I should have been doing! Fifteen days to Christmas and I have yet to buy any presents. Whoops!
#851 - December 10, 2010, 12:50 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Tracey--Hooray for you! And if you're a little behind on the Christmas shopping, maybe your family can have New Year's gifts this year.

2200 words for me today. Oh, yeah.
#852 - December 10, 2010, 02:57 PM

Aah, that's just about the only pleasure of being an only child with no children of my own.  Just four presents to buy.  Myself and John are staying at home this year so my W.I.P can be worked on a little more than the one last year.
Best of luck with your shopping.
#853 - December 11, 2010, 05:48 AM
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:40 AM by thunderingelephants »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
900 or 1000 words today. I added in a few different places, so it's hard to do the count. I also worked on some revisions of an older manuscript for an hour or so.
#854 - December 11, 2010, 01:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Another couple of hours of revision of my older WIP.  It's better than I remembered.  Hooray for critique groups! 
#855 - December 12, 2010, 11:28 AM

Cold cappuccino (as usual).  Beasties abandoned and pen and paper brought out in a packed coffee shop filled with Christmas shoppers.  I ignored them all, left the laptop at home and got writing.
375 written and my hand was fit to drop off by the time I had finished.  I am glad, my character he just reeked revenge on his headmaster in an absolutely disgusting manner.  So badly, in fact, that as soon as I wrote it I thought to myself: how could you, Fiona?  That's just disgraceful! 
I'm going to leave it that way, because that's what I had intended, but I still feel nasty. 
It is 9p.m. here and I am exhausted.  I have used all of my brain power for the day.  Time to have a cup of tea and a biscuit.  Hopefully I will have the energy to do the same (to write, not drink tea!) tomorow.  Hope you do too.
#856 - December 12, 2010, 01:05 PM

Read to your kids
Poster Plus
Rainbow, I just hopped in to thank you for the above link.  :smile I've finished my first draft though it needs a lot of beefing up with descriptions and such.  :bangcomputer My writing has been at a stand still because I knew I needed to add lots of information but I wasn't sure how or where to start. After reading through Kathleens posts, I think I may be ready to dive in at last and start revisions. :crossedfingers

Thanks and Cheers,
CAli :hug
#857 - December 12, 2010, 02:16 PM

Poster Plus
I worked on my new WIP today ... added about 750 words. And I did something I have never done before, which is leave a note to myself to add a scene. I mean, not in the sense of "hmm, it would be good to add in a scene showing xyz here", which I do during rereads/revision - no, this time I simply didn't have the mental stamina to write the next scene. So I wrote into the manuscript, "scene x" and just ... jumped to the scene after that and continued writing. Is this what nonlinear writing is? It feels weird ... but hey, progress is progress, right?
#858 - December 12, 2010, 02:44 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Sometimes, jumping past a difficult area and working on the rest of a story is the only way to get past a tough spot. I've found when I've done that in the past, the missing scene/s came very easily later when I came back to them.
#859 - December 12, 2010, 03:11 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

amykated

Didn't get much work done today, around 600 words.  It's hard to really get into my writing mode when everyone is home during the weekends because they are so loud and are often interrupting.  I'll take what I can get. 
#860 - December 12, 2010, 04:00 PM

Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Cali, yay! I'm happy that post helped. The W plot is pure genius.

Raynbow
#861 - December 12, 2010, 05:12 PM
www.rsgignilliat.com

Poster Plus
Verla, thanks for the words of support! :smile I'm going to tackle the missing scene today - crossed fingers it comes out smoothly.

Raynbow, I just looked at the W-plot you linked to upthread - wowzers. Thanks for the link. It looks like a really, really great technique.
#862 - December 13, 2010, 02:07 AM

Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
I was at the local meeting where the author talked about the W plot, but I go to Kathleen's notes because mine aren't nearly as coherent as hers are. So glad you all are finding them useful. :)

Raynbow
#863 - December 13, 2010, 05:17 AM
www.rsgignilliat.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I wrote about 600 words this morning. Good luck with that missing scene, Emily G.
#864 - December 13, 2010, 11:43 AM

Poster Plus
Good luck with that missing scene, Emily G.

Thanks Melissa. (congrats on your 600 words!!) I did get my scene done ... 474 words, it was shorter than I expected, but still quite hard to write for the emotional content. Still, I'm really glad it's in place - I can carry on writing forward with a clear conscience.  :smile
#865 - December 13, 2010, 02:11 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I was at the local meeting where the author talked about the W plot, but I go to Kathleen's notes because mine aren't nearly as coherent as hers are. So glad you all are finding them useful. :)

Raynbow

Raynbow, I wanted to chime in with my thanks too - on that W-plot page, there was also a link to "rooting" your MC in the beginning of the novel, and it has helped me immensely. Awesome!
#866 - December 14, 2010, 05:24 AM

I just about worked on my manuscript yesterday.  Going in today to write a little more.  Mind you, I was woken by Mogster this morning so I don't know if I have the energy.  I will just have to see.
Hope you are more productive than I have been the last few days.  450 written yesterday, I suppose that's my week's progress.  Not too bad for a longhander.  I think!
#867 - December 14, 2010, 08:01 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
About 1400 words today. Congrats on your recent progress, Thundering and Emily G.
#868 - December 14, 2010, 11:12 AM

I worked on my WIP yesterday and today. I finished chapter 3 and cut about 200 more words. It's really starting to shape up.
#869 - December 14, 2010, 08:32 PM

I actually whipped out about 700 words last night, and was going to write tonight, but decided to watch a movie instead.  I will get right back at it tomorrow though, I have to!  My goal is to finishe my rough draft by the end of December.  I have about 8k to go.  Conference is in April, so I need a nicely polished ms by March!
#870 - December 14, 2010, 08:56 PM

Members: