SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Yay, Tara! I haven't touched my ms in two weeks. Christmas glitter has fallen all over my laptop. Maybe tomorrow.  ;)
#871 - December 14, 2010, 09:43 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I think I've written about 3000 words today! I've been chopping out stuff that doesn't really fit the story as it's unfolded and adding in new stuff, so it's hard to say just how much I've written--but when I started, it was in the 49,000 range and now the first two numbers are 52-something. !! As soon as my son's homework-tears-extravaganza is done and I can concentrate again, I will be penning my final words on the first draft! Fastest book I've EVER written (August-now.)

I'm about to plunge into the woe-is-me-this-is-DRECK of revision, though, so don't get too excited. :)

ETA: DONE!! Done, done, done, done, D-O-O-O-N-E!  :snoopy

Off to crash!
#872 - December 14, 2010, 10:15 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Wheeeeee, Olume!!! Congrats on finishing! What an accomplishment!!  :yay
#873 - December 15, 2010, 04:59 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Great news, Olmue! Who cares (for now) if the upcoming revision is going to be a slog? You hit the end! Celebrate!

Tara and Michelle, great job. Keep it up.

I wrote 1600 words today.
#874 - December 15, 2010, 10:26 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Glad to see people are still chugging along.  :snowplow

I am almost through the cutting and pasting stage.  I almost had the screaming meamies last night while doing this, I kept losing my place and well you know how it goes when you move large chunks of text from one place to another.  However, I had an inspirational thought, you know one of those light bulb moments when you realize that the person that you want to be the ring leader ends up not being the ring leader, but it is some one different and has been all along.  I love it when the plot goes devious.  hehehe.

It makes a lot more sense also.

Almost to the stage I can begin making my corrections and finish this story.  yehaw!
#875 - December 16, 2010, 11:25 AM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Sounds like you're doing good work, Liz.

1,900 words today. They're really sloppy words, but hey, there's a lot of them.
#876 - December 16, 2010, 11:31 AM

Danyelle

I got close to 2k today. It feels good to be working on the WIP again!  :yay
#877 - December 16, 2010, 10:50 PM

mswatkins

Okay! The semester has ended.  Now I can get back to revising my story.  I've missed it muchly! 
#878 - December 17, 2010, 08:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
700 words today, plus some long thoughts about the story's structure. Do I want to go back and change the whole beginning or plunge on? I don't know I don't know.

MSW--Good luck!

Danyelle--Glad you're back at it!
#879 - December 17, 2010, 11:18 AM

spider2387

:dog3 I write PB sonot every day I work on the same MS. I write it, wait 4 dys, look again with fresh eyes. Over those for days I will do the same with another. Ideally I have 3 or 4 stories ready to sub at the same time.
#880 - December 17, 2010, 03:29 PM

My hand feels lonely at the moment. I haven't been able to write because of being in hospital and other things.  It's Sunday in two days and I hope to do a little shopping and more writing.  Maybe fifty words.  That's all that's in my head at the moment. :notworking
#881 - December 17, 2010, 04:48 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thundering, best of luck with your writing and your health issues.

Spider, it sounds like you have a good system worked out for yourself.

I decided to go forward with my WIP instead of re-doing the beginning. Lots of new words today. I added text in a couple of different places, so I'm not sure how many words. I think I hit my goal, though.

#882 - December 18, 2010, 12:02 PM

is kooky.
Poster Plus
I managed to write 4K before lunch, so I think I'm back in the saddle! I had 40k, stripped it back to 32 (that was rough) so now I'm back up to 36 (not so rough). I'm hoping it will be wrapped up by the end of Christmas break. Like Olmue, this ones' been pretty quick. I started it in October, spaced out for all of November, and have been crawling back in a page at a time this month. Then WHAMMY! I'm pretty sure if I can finish this thing before New Year's it will be the fastest book I've written (and I'm pretty sure it's my best yet). #noJinx

Whammy is good.  :!
#883 - December 18, 2010, 01:20 PM
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." ~Buddha   

Blog - http://yarghing.com

myriad_of_colors

Huzzah for everyone making great progress in their WIP! Thunderingelephants, I hope you get better soon!! (And writing in your head is frustrating when you can't put it on paper, isn't it? :( good health!)

I decided to scrap my last WIP (because I realized my MCs were going to end up in a high fantasy journey, which I did NOT want to do. So, I switched it! Hopefully this one won't end in a realization like "Ohhhhh my Elf and my human are about to travel the world together, what else does that sound like??") So instead I'm throwing myself at a new project that I won't talk too much about (since that seems to be my problem.) Toodles, and good luck in everything you do!

Happy Holiday time!
#884 - December 18, 2010, 10:59 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I'm in hiatus right now. Working on sewing Christmas presents for my family instead of my WIP. Yoiks! I hope to get into some kind of schedule after the holidays are behind me.
#885 - December 19, 2010, 10:08 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Verla,
Do you ever stop working on something?  Baking (particularly spectacular wedding cakes!), sewing, writing, moderating blueboards. This multi-tasking must leave you drained.
Myriad,
Thanks for your concern.  Still slip-sliding away, but not quite as bad as a few days ago.

Managed 159 today, but still enjoying this ridiculous story.  Can't write now 'cos I'm exhausted and furry snoring beasty is beside me doing exactly that.  Still loving writing this story...it's bonkers beyond belief.  I'd never submit it anywhere.  The characters are devious, even the secondary character is coming around to their ideas.  Shutting up and shutting down in a few minutes.
#886 - December 19, 2010, 01:15 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw

Verla,
Do you ever stop working on something?  Baking (particularly spectacular wedding cakes!), sewing, writing, moderating blueboards. This multi-tasking must leave you drained.

Actually, it does exactly the opposite. I feel totally drained and depressed when I'm not busy doing something. When traveling, I have to have my computer or a book or puzzles, hand sewing, or SOMETHING with me. I go nuts sitting still, doing nothing. My mind hates being idle, I guess. I'm happiest when I'm busiest. So I tend to keep myself busy with things I love to do. :moose
#887 - December 19, 2010, 01:36 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Actually, it does exactly the opposite. I feel totally drained and depressed when I'm not busy doing something. When traveling, I have to have my computer or a book or puzzles, hand sewing, or SOMETHING with me. I go nuts sitting still, doing nothing. My mind hates being idle, I guess. I'm happiest when I'm busiest. So I tend to keep myself busy with things I love to do. :moose
Actually, I am the same. Right now, I am about to join John and Moggy do some puzzles (if the furry guy lets me).  I think that's why I write longhand. Using a computer takes too much effort and longhand gives me more thinking times while keeping active.
This is DEFINITELY my last reply!  Goodnight.
#888 - December 19, 2010, 01:53 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Okay, here's a scary thought. I just finished my draft this week. And already another story has moved in! Seriously. I need to revise this other one. But more characters are whispering to me. I'm sitting here working out an opening scene for the book, and realizing what the main character desperately wants, and... Hello, it's Christmas! I have a real life! And a book to revise! How can I be in the head of a contemporary 13YO boy inventor's head AND the head of a teen girl in a historical fantasy at the same time?

So...maybe I'll take out dual residency here and in the revisions camp...
#889 - December 19, 2010, 06:21 PM

Poster Plus
Most of the past week seems to have disappeared into the time vortex ... but I've picked up the WIP again today and I'm working on an outline for it based on the W-plot link Raynbow Gignilliat recommended upthread. I may just complete my first ever SUCCESSFUL outline this way, I like it so much. *crosses fingers*

olmue, twotiming on a project can sometimes be really productive - of course it depends on your writing process though. But for me, I sometimes find that spending time in a different MC's head, helps me get more into the voice of the OTHER MC just by virtue of being able to see their differences. Or if I'm stuck on a plotpoint of one WIP, I can go work on the other one and not waste writing time, while the problematic project does a bit of mental composting on the backburner. Good luck :)
#890 - December 20, 2010, 09:18 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
True, Emily! I'm hoping that happens.

(And I think I'm going to check out that W-plot link as well!) Glad your outline has turned out so well!
#891 - December 20, 2010, 09:48 AM

Miserly, but productive one hundred and fifty words written.  However, my secondary has decided to come around to my primary character's sense of thinking and although they don't agree, they are co-operating.  Just ended up in a muddy field (them, not me) with a load of other kids and enjoying every minute of it.

I'm going onto grater things with my :chocolate. Talk to you all tomorrow.
#892 - December 20, 2010, 12:27 PM

mswatkins

I feel like a million bucks!  I've worked on my wip the last two days and It's actually been productive!!  I'm removing a character from the story and so far I've been able to replace him by using other characters to say his lines.  It's forced me to develop the other characters as well.  The voice is good, not perfect, but good enough for now and I feel just strait up excellent!!!!!  Man, I've missed this story.  Hopefully this continues for the next few weeks before classes start again and the work load gets too heavy. 
#893 - December 21, 2010, 05:34 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Congrats to all of you who are making good progress. I'm not. Apart from holiday prep and duties, I had a sudden frantic call from a woman who needed someone to teach some community college classes starting very soon. I've taught before and liked it, but it's not really where I want my life to be right now. Still, I spent two unproductive days freaking out over an interview for a job I ultimately turned down because it won't pay more than my freelance work anyway. Not too smart, eh?

I'm headed out for some travel for a week. I plan to try to write some while I'm away, but I may not check in here every day. All my best to all of you. I hope your WIPs swell up with good words.
#894 - December 21, 2010, 10:24 AM

mswatkins

Enjoy your break Melissa K! 

It's been another good day for me.  I finished editing one chapter that I split into two.  I can't be happy enough.  I know this won't last, but I'll take the good while I can.
#895 - December 22, 2010, 06:19 AM

I haven't worked on my W.I.P for a few days and today I wished I had instead of  meeting  mother.  She was truly monstrous and would have fitted in my story perfectly.  She kind of reminded me of the Christmas Grinch in reverse.
Gonna do some shopping and attempt to work tomorrow.
 :goodnight:
#896 - December 22, 2010, 01:27 PM

:snowman2: Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!   :santasleigh2:

Although I'm still officially revising my MG novel, I thought I'd poke my head in with Christmas wishes for you all.
I hope to be jumping into this thread in mid Jan.  After TWO months of trying to come up with a good idea :eh2 , I finally got one -- it's a YA Urban Fantasy! Yay!
#897 - December 24, 2010, 11:23 PM
Soul Cutter ~ YA Horror/Romance (MuseItUp Publishing Dec 2013)
Blog: http://lexacain.blogspot.com/

Congrats to everyone who has worked on their WIP!   :yourock  I've been in a slump for the past few weeks, but as soon as the holidays are done, I'm diving back in.  I did decide to do chapter outlines for my story to lay it out more, make sure I'm not getting too far off point.  I'm 44k into it with about 10k to go and I'm not seeing much in the way of an end anytime soon, so I'm hoping my chapter outlines will help me tighten things up a bit.  Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone!  I hope Santa brings you everything you want!  :santasleigh2:
#898 - December 24, 2010, 11:36 PM

joypainter

:newyear  to everyone!

I will try to  :hanginthere and write everyday! 
#899 - December 30, 2010, 05:53 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hi all! I hope you've all had a good holiday season. Congrats to all of you who got any writing done. If you didn't, that's probably okay too. Everyone needs a break.

Winter storms and bad driving conditions kept me away from home a little longer than expected, but I'm back in gear now. While I was on vacation I took off four or five days from writing entirely. After that I tried to do a little work when I could sneak away from family obligations. I wasn't very productive in those writing sessions, but it was good for my introverted self to get into a quiet room and type a bit.

I'm now back home and hoping to jump into my normal 7 day per week writing schedule. Today I wrote a new final chapter for one of my WIPs. It's an improvement over the previous version but still not great. I had to submit it to my crit group right away, so I'm crossing my fingers that they'll have some good suggestions.
#900 - January 02, 2011, 11:02 AM

Members: