SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

:cheers: to anyone who got writing done over the new year celebrations.  I left the beasties at home and went into the coffee shop to recover from yesterday's festivities.  Got four hundred and thirty written, which I am quite with AND the mc is content with his progress for a change.  Now, all I have to do is figure out what to do with him.
#901 - January 02, 2011, 12:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Congrats on the progress, Thundering.

I'm off to hang out in revisionland for a while. Best of luck to all of you!
#902 - January 03, 2011, 10:34 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Well, I'm back in the saddle again. After sporadic writing over the holidays, I worked two hours this morning and revised most of a chapter. If I can keep this up, maybe I will  get my manuscript in the hands of my readers by Febrary rather than March.  :revising:

Ooops, looks like I was so tired last night I forgot how to spell February.
#903 - January 03, 2011, 08:25 PM
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:54 AM by Michelle DP »

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I looked at my WIP today. :neck Does that count? :lol
#904 - January 03, 2011, 08:55 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
It means you're thinking about it. I'd say, yes!
#905 - January 04, 2011, 04:49 AM
Twitter: @rs_gignilliat
www.rsgignilliat.com

I looked at my WIP today. :neck Does that count? :lol
You started this thread, course it does! :yup
Dying with a cold, so not feeling up to writing at the moment.  Sitting here with the beasties with a hot water bottle stuck to my tummy.  Maybe I will trot into the coffee
shop after my usual shopping expedition and attempt some writing.  Otherwise, I will be in much the same position as Verla.
The heating isn't working either which doesn't help matters either.
Sorry guys, just feeling sorry for myself!
#906 - January 04, 2011, 05:58 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Thundering, get warm and get well fast. :sick2 Hope your cold symptoms disappear very quickly so you can get back to :writing. :grouphug2
#907 - January 04, 2011, 06:54 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Oh, Thundering, I hate going without heat in the winter. I hope things look up fast.

I officially HATE autorecovery!! :! It's a great idea, but the autorecovery on my machine kicks in while I'm typing and crashes the whole system. Of course, this always seems to happen when things are flowing really well and I am so into the work that I'm not saving as often as I should.  :gaah I think I got most of it back.
#908 - January 04, 2011, 09:01 AM

That's why I love it here!  I did go and do some shopping with my mp3 then for my brew and wrote 310 words.  That's productive for me. :coldsick: Still feel like this and should be doing  :ironing: but it can wait until tomorrow.
I think I will just hug Moggy and keep warm. Hope you guys are more productive.

Love your new smilies, Verla. :yourock
#909 - January 04, 2011, 12:28 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Okay, I'm back in this thread. I know you'll all help keep me honest   ;)

I have been making good progress on my WIP in the last week and, after having a night off last night, I'm back into it again tonight. I'm doing a lot of 'linking' chapters at the moment, so it's rather satisfying because it's pulling it all together (I've written a lot of chapters from the beginning, middle and end and I'm currently sorting out the order of events and then creating nice segueways between the chapters).

If I crane my neck  :neck  and squint, I can almost see The End in sight, but I've got a quite a bit more writing to do to get there.

And now I'm using this smiley ------>   :chocolate:  because that's what I just did to kick off tonight's writing. hee, hee.

Happy writing everyone!
#910 - January 05, 2011, 01:30 AM
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:32 AM by SarahE »
http://sarahepsteinbooks.com/
https://twitter.com/SarahLEpstein

"Act as if it were impossible to fail." - Ashanti Proverb

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
And I'm jumping back in to mention....I managed to write 2100 new words tonight   :chickendance

But now it's 2.20am here and I'm tired, so 'night all!
#911 - January 05, 2011, 07:29 AM

myriad_of_colors

Goodnight SarahE! Hope you slept well!

Just mentioning (because I don't want to jinx it) that I have written ALOT on my WIP and plan on doing more and more and more until I either am finished or I go mad. (And I can only hear Bullwinkle ask "What's the difference?") Pieces are finally making sense, and as I delve more into the world of my book I realize that it is a lot more complicated than I supposed when I first started out. But good complicated. In a way, it makes the world become more real, more sensible than just the whims of a couple of characters.

So. I'm pretty happy with my work so far. (rubs a sleeping kitty's paw) Good luck to all! :laugh
#912 - January 05, 2011, 10:23 AM

Worked much too long on my manuscript today, but I'm not sure I'm accompishing anything.
#913 - January 05, 2011, 03:29 PM

Worked much too long on my manuscript today, but I'm not sure I'm accompishing anything.
Wish I could say the same!  Things like a broken heating boiler and an earache are putting me off.  Never mind, going to doctor to sort myself out tomorrow.  You never know, it might inspire me.
Happy writing, everyone else.
#914 - January 06, 2011, 09:35 AM

Spent two hours today reworking a conversation. It's still not there, but it's getting closer. It's snowing steadily outside, and there's a good chance that all of my children will be home with me all day tomorrow. Oh, and I am completely out of chocolate. :sigh:
#915 - January 06, 2011, 02:21 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
... there's a good chance that all of my children will be home with me all day tomorrow. Oh, and I am completely out of chocolate. :sigh:

:ohno  :ahh :protest: :bewildered: :gaah :help

I really feel for you!    :hug
#916 - January 06, 2011, 03:29 PM
Verla Kay

Yay, I totally worked on my WIP today!  :yay  And, I got to use the word "minion" too!  I'm totally excited for this.  It's silly, I know, but also so funny.  :turtlego:  Kind of like this turtle.  Love this one!
#917 - January 06, 2011, 11:17 PM

Wow, this is a sloooooowwwwww thread.  :shrug:   :zzz   Well, I skipped the football games yesterday and went to the library for the first time to write.  I've only ever written at home, so this was a new experience.  I loved it, and I got over 2K written for my WIP.  :oncomputer  Yay! Gonna take the night off tonight, but I'm hitting the computer again tomorrow! :horse:
#918 - January 09, 2011, 07:05 PM

I looked at my WIP today.
I'm back to visit today, for exactly the same reason.  Still dying of a cold with the cat glaring at me.  Not condusive to a writer's mood.  I managed a hundred words yesterday, then scratched thirty out. 
Will that do?

Michelle, I have 1kg of chocolate in my refrigerator, waiting to be turned into truffles.  I'm certain I could spare of it for you. :fridge
#919 - January 10, 2011, 06:42 AM

myriad_of_colors

Have little to no idea about my word count today- it began with erasing a lot of the work I had done last night and then stopping and playing around on the internet, because my description of a character as spoken by another character didn't sit right with me. Still doesn't. But I slogged through onto the next scene, with a mental note to stop making him sound like a poet when he's clearly not. A skill I'm still learning as I go along.

I managed a hundred words yesterday, then scratched thirty out. 
Will that do?

Phsaw, that's 70 more words than you had before! I do believe that counts!!!

#920 - January 10, 2011, 08:58 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I am at the point I have no idea how many words I am putting in and how many I am taking out.  Moving paragraphs here and there and trying to make it sound like a real story.   :sigh

In the next couple of days I will have to put in a new ink cartridge and print out all my pages and read them and really edit my WIP.  :scissors:

But I am going through with this one, I am not going to give up! :hanginthere

May be eating the raw cookie dough in my freezer. LOL
#921 - January 11, 2011, 03:29 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
I LOVE raw cookie dough. I'd rather eat it than the baked cookies any day. You have never known what real joy is until you saw my face the day I first found out you could buy COOKIE DOUGH ICE CREAM! :icecream:
#922 - January 11, 2011, 04:40 PM
Verla Kay

Can I make my W.I.P grating chocolate?  I'll get cracking tomorrow.  Keep some of that cookie dough for me, please.  I'm going to aim for three hundred by Friday. :coldsick:
Also  :cat keeps climbing across the keyboard!
#923 - January 12, 2011, 04:50 AM
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:39 AM by thunderingelephants »

Akoss

I may be late to this thread but I'm in. I'm on my fifth rev of my WIP and I NEED it to be done by March.
This week I worked on it twice already. so this is the place for me. :banghead
#924 - January 12, 2011, 09:02 AM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
My WIP is going backwards. See that 10,000 words in my sig line? Well, it's been chopped down to 7900.  :sigh

Hoping the next scene will gell for me soon, so I can write it and get that word count up again!  :writing3

Rue
#925 - January 12, 2011, 05:40 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw

My WIP is going backwards. See that 10,000 words in my sig line? Well, it's been chopped down to 7900.  :sigh

Cutting words out of manuscripts is just as important (and sometimes even more important!) than adding words. So going backwards counts in this thread, too, Rue! :smile
#926 - January 12, 2011, 07:03 PM
Verla Kay

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Thanks, Verla. You're right. It had to be done. Just hate doing it. :(

Off to try to turn that wordcount around...  :typing

Rue
#927 - January 12, 2011, 07:50 PM

Cutting words out of manuscripts is just as important (and sometimes even more important!) than adding words. So going backwards counts in this thread, too, Rue! :smile
You've just made my day!!  Got three hundred written in between being pelted on by disgusting rainy weather and an interesting conversation about vegetables.  Great for inspiration!
 :coldsick:  Feelin a little like this so I might check in with you guys and see you are progressing later.

Thanks, Verla. You're right. It had to be done. Just hate doing it. :(

Off to try to turn that wordcount around...  :typing

Rue
At least you don't have to do word long-hand, Rue.  Laborious to say the least.
#928 - January 13, 2011, 10:40 AM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Well, it's going in the right direction again! 8300 now! :)

Rue
#929 - January 13, 2011, 11:43 PM
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:52 PM by ruecole »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Hi all  *waves*

I'm desperately trying to get back into this thread (by writing something, of course!) but I've been so distracted for the past week by these devastating floods here in Queensland, Australia. I am lucky, as it does not affect me or my family, but I have been busy organising my own donations to some fabulous Flood Appeal online auctions (some handmade goodies and my graphic design services to raise funds).

It's been a busy old week, plus I have some design work on. But I'm hoping to write something (!) this weekend to move my WIP forwards.

Wishing everyone lots of shiny new words!

Sarah  x
#930 - January 14, 2011, 01:59 AM

Members: