SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Akoss

I worked on my MG wip last night. 5th edit of chap 1 done. Now moving onto chap 2 and hopefully more by sunday. :tea
#931 - January 14, 2011, 07:35 AM

I actually succeeded today!!!  540 words,but now the furry laptop's dancing across the keyboard and making it almost impossible.
#932 - January 16, 2011, 12:00 PM

myriad_of_colors

So, for the last week or so, I've been in this really weird rut. I mean, I know that it's a necessary rut, because my MCs have gone from working full-time in a profession that they absolutely love to plummeting into this weird situation that results in their having nothing to do during the day while they wait for an event that (they don't know it yet) will occur in two months. Meanwhile, though, while they are absolutely bored out of their minds, their author, who absolutely HATES being bored, is starting to feel uneasy about her writing.

But I've decided to rewrite what I can and hurry the pace up again. See if that is the final push to making my story pick up again, to make me excited about it again.

So...... that's how I worked on my WIP today!  :biggrin:
#933 - January 25, 2011, 06:20 AM

jenniferfisher

Hey Myriad..I can relate to trying to capture that excitement about writing. If I'm bored, the reader's probably asleep  :goodnight:
Even when I'm firing up the keys, I still plateau at about 1200 words a pop.  :sigh
Still your story sounds like a reality show, or Pulp Fiction (in a good way!)
hope your WIP has you feeling like this guy  :hairdude
#934 - February 01, 2011, 06:31 AM

shamrock838

Okay. I'm here. I'm in. I WILL work on my WIP today. I will. :hiding

Verla,

OK, I'm still new here ...

What is a WIP please?  Does it mean "Writing In Progress" or something such?

Thanks,

shamrock838 (Mike)
#935 - February 02, 2011, 06:49 AM

jenniferfisher

Yes shamrock838, that is exactly what it means. Currently, my WIP seems to be writing itself. I couldn't believe I sat down yesterday and wrote about 3k words...a veritable miracle for me since I'm the equivalent of a writing  :snail
#936 - February 02, 2011, 06:53 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Thanks for answering for me while I was off line, HappyCamper. I love having an alter-ego... especially since it's YOU. :hug (And in case you are worried, no, I had no problem at ALL with you jumping in and covering for me. I'm extremely glad you did as it got the answer to Shamrock838 that much quicker.)
#937 - February 02, 2011, 07:00 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

jenniferfisher

:sorry :booboo:  Verla, I even reread the post to check if the question was addressed to you. Still overlooked it  :embarrassed2 
Verla thanks... :yourock
#938 - February 02, 2011, 09:55 AM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Naw... YOU rock, HappyCamper. You did a great job of answering a question by someone. I'm sure it was only aimed at me because I'd mentioned my WIP in my post.
#939 - February 02, 2011, 12:31 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

jenniferfisher

We BOTH Rock  :hairdude :hairdude
#940 - February 02, 2011, 03:35 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Well, my snow day goal was 1000 words, but I haven't been able to get near that in one sitting recently. 497, not quite half, but not half bad. One of these days, I'll get back into the zone. Bit by bit, right? My mom always used to tell us "inch by inch, anything's a cinch." I wonder how many inches 497 words covers?

Hope you all had a productive day! :snow
#941 - February 02, 2011, 04:25 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
I haven't posted in awhile, but I HAVE been working on my WIP. Matter of fact, I typed the words THE END a few weeks ago at 64K! I'm now revising. It's been trimmed to 58K and is beginning to shine. I'm almost ready for a trench...  :pickle
#942 - February 02, 2011, 04:33 PM

myriad_of_colors

Oooh! Congratulations on THE END!

And thank you, HappyCamper, I've finally worked myself out of the awkwardness and stillness. My WIP is starting to make me feel happy again! YAY! :pickle
#943 - February 02, 2011, 10:22 PM

jenniferfisher

:yay   Myriad & Nora :partytime
I too see The End in sight....such  :broccoli :bananadance :carrot  feeling!
#944 - February 03, 2011, 05:41 AM

Verla,
Can I still be included here?  I have actually FINISHED my w.i.p.  However, because it is long hand, I am revising as I go along and type it up.  I can't make out my own revisions!  I am actually re-writing an awful lot of text.
PS: I know this was covered in a lot of other threads, but I showed my stepfather a section of my current longhand story.  Quote: "You should show this to your mother. I think she'd enjoy it."  FINALLY some recognition from my family! :yay
#945 - February 03, 2011, 06:30 AM

Cat

I received a critique today and jotted down a couple of ideas. Does that count?

Of course it does. Beautiful job!
Me, I've got three different WIPs that I go to. Today, I didn't work on any of them. I was busy putting books in the new bookshelves my sweet li'l Dad made for me.  :hurrah
#946 - February 04, 2011, 09:12 PM

Tinamarie

Congratulations to all of you who've reached those magical words - "The End"!!!

After a LONG absence from my WIP and this thread (waylaid by holiday travels, being trapped in NY thanks to a blizzard, then playing catch-up back at home on my work, and so on), I did two more chapters for my MG novel. They're of terrible, "exploratory draft" quality, but they're on the page and that's all I care about right now.

Looks like I've got 7 more chapters to go - the goal is to finish by the end of this month.

Hope everyone's having a fabulous weekend,
Tina
#947 - February 05, 2011, 02:45 PM

jenniferfisher

Haven't typed the words 'the end' yet, but I'm chug chug chugging along nicely   :train  Made many break throughs and expect a week to ten days left  :horse:
#948 - February 05, 2011, 04:13 PM

Tinamarie

Did about 1,000 more words today.  Am working through a climactic sequence, the writing is not measuring up to the drama yet! I keep whispering <firstdraftfirstdraft> under my breath.

#949 - February 08, 2011, 08:34 PM

Cat

Did about 1,000 more words today.  Am working through a climactic sequence, the writing is not measuring up to the drama yet! I keep whispering <firstdraftfirstdraft> under my breath.

LOL!
#950 - February 08, 2011, 09:27 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
May I come in? I've started a new WIP (which I think of as 'work in progress' rather than 'writing' - just me?). It's a short-ish chapter book - needs to be around 9000 words and I want to have it drafted by the end of the month. I have lots of other commitments at the moment, so I'm not setting daily goals. It just needs to get done somehow.
#951 - February 09, 2011, 06:09 AM

jenniferfisher

Welcome MegM
Every stage of my writing I think I can't possibly squeeze in one more project. Every time I do!
The goal for my WIP was to reach 40K words and start wrapping it up. However, the characters had other plans, and @ 36K the story continues to evolve  :revising:   
#952 - February 09, 2011, 08:26 AM

Tinamarie

Welcome, MegM!

(for what it's worth, I translate WIP as Work In Progress)
#953 - February 09, 2011, 10:29 AM

Cat

Hm. I think I managed about 500 words. What a bunch, huh? There's like this fug in my head that won't let the words OUT! :bewildered:
#954 - February 12, 2011, 09:41 AM

I have finished my current W.I.P but since it's longhand, I still have to type it up.  However furry laptop (as shown in my avatar) is preventing from progressing any further-he keeps tapdancing across the keyboard.  I can't get rid of him, the flat's too small and he can open the doors.  John's hijacked the pc so that's a no-go area too.   :cat :voodoo
Cat-500 is a good total.  We don't need to get that 1k all of the time.  Don't think I have ever managed it, my hand would fall off!
#955 - February 12, 2011, 10:16 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I have not either posted to or even read this thread before, but I do work on my WIP every day, so I've decided to jump in here. Hope you don't mind.

Here's where I am.  I've been working on this WIP for three years.  Four months ago I literally tossed out the entire MS (metaphorically) and started over from scratch.  Same characters, same basic story line (though with some major alterations.) but with a whole new approach.  I've been working almost daily on it since October - and at present the draft - which hardly deserves to be called a first draft, but the draft is approximately 52,000 words right now, and 2/3 finished.

It's an MG, I know that's too long, but I'll cut later.  Right now I just want it finished.

I have the third section of the MS outlined, and several scenes have been written out of order.  My goal is to have a completed draft of the third section finished two weeks from tonight.

I will not fail at this.
#956 - February 12, 2011, 03:41 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
:yourock 1846. Go for it!
#957 - February 12, 2011, 07:49 PM
Verla Kay

:yourock 1846. Go for it!
Ditto.

I have revised so much that I can't decide whether I should be in Revisionland or here.  I can hardly see all of my handwritten work and I keep adding paragraphs.   :cat He also keeps tapdancing across my keyboard. :voodoo
Hope you don't have such annoying interpretations. 
Right, I am about to have lunch and relocate somewhere where I can't be interupted.  Unfortunately I'll be soaked along the way. :coldsick:
#958 - February 13, 2011, 06:40 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region iowa
2,204 new words today.  Eight pages.  Plus a couple of passes for light revisions through the two chapters I wrote yesterday.
#959 - February 13, 2011, 07:36 PM

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Go 1846!!!!  :cheerleader

I wrote 400 words this afternoon! First in several weeks!  :clap:

Rue
#960 - February 13, 2011, 07:45 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Members: