SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I Worked on My WIP Today

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
  • SCBWI PAL

WOW, Yellow Submarine!!! 4,000 words/day is FANTASTIC!!!
I'm trying to get into the flow with a first draft and can't get any momentum yet. Hoping it will kick in soon!

Good luck to everyone else toiling away!

Dawn
#1051 - June 28, 2011, 07:04 AM
http://www.dawnmalone.blogspot.com
'Perseverance, the secret of all triumphs.' - Victor Hugo

Thanks, Dawn!  :) Of course, it helps that I recently finished exams so I have plenty of time for writing.

Good luck finding momentum in your draft! It's always frustrating when things refuse to flow, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.  :cheerleader
#1052 - June 28, 2011, 11:33 PM
MG/ YA Fantasy from PRH (Aus):

* ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy (2013-2014)
* Tɧe HµSɧ (2015)
* Aℊeηt NøмAⅾ series (2017)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

Hurrah! After several frantic days of writing, I finally finished my WIP (at 81,000 words).
I actually have a few days to rest before my holiday.  :beach

Hope everyone else is going great with your writing goals!
#1053 - July 02, 2011, 05:16 PM
MG/ YA Fantasy from PRH (Aus):

* ƇᕼAᔕIƝG ƬHƐ ѴALLƐƳ trilogy (2013-2014)
* Tɧe HµSɧ (2015)
* Aℊeηt NøмAⅾ series (2017)

http://twitter.com/SkyeOhWhy

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Awesome, Yellow Submarine! That's such an amazing feeling.

I think I've finally found my way into the book I'm trying to write. Despite summer and chaos of kids out of school, it's starting to take shape. Yay! (Um...so it's about 350 words long so far--but the pieces of the story are coming together! So I know what to write when I sit down next.)
#1054 - July 02, 2011, 08:59 PM

Wow, yellow-submarine, that's some mean feat.  Well, John's 40th celebrations are over, so I can get back to work...hopefully.  I'd like to work now, I have the ideas etc., but all I hear is those darn noisy water pipes and they're blocking my train of thought.  I guess I might get some done later.
I am going to ask John to upload a picture of my truffles later for you guys to pick on and have a nibble...
#1055 - July 03, 2011, 04:10 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Well, things have gone quiet here...anyone getting any work done?
#1056 - July 28, 2011, 01:32 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

frogs

I worked on my WIP today.  Hopefully I can have it done soon.

:frog: :frog:

#1057 - August 02, 2011, 06:13 PM

mswatkins

I've been working on mine almost daily and I'm about to start on it again... once I quit playing online.  :)  Lots of revisions...
#1058 - August 03, 2011, 04:41 AM

Cat

I just finished the first draft of a novel that's apparently going to be a trilogy, though it was supposed to only be one book, nad now I'm back to working on a different one.
#1059 - August 03, 2011, 07:42 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
Worked on one ms until 5 this morning and then did some research and writing on my other WIP this evening.  My eyes feel like this  :ahh
 :snail but feel like I'm making progress.
#1060 - August 03, 2011, 08:09 PM

mswatkins

Working on it still and have come to the conclusion that it is a complete disaster... not a fun day. 
#1061 - August 04, 2011, 08:16 AM

Cat

Working on it still and have come to the conclusion that it is a complete disaster... not a fun day. 

Awwww. I'm sorry, MSW. What a dreadful feeling!
#1062 - August 05, 2011, 08:42 AM

mswatkins

It is, but at the same time it's forcing me to do some serious thinking about my story and decide what needs to take place to clean it up.  Too much stuff is going on for one MG story.  Earlier this week I was ready to chuck it out the window, but after giving it some thought, I think it can be salvaged.  It's still a mess though, but not one I'm ready to walk away from. 
#1063 - August 05, 2011, 12:08 PM

Msw, why don't you come and visit us briefly in Revisionland.  That way, your w.i.p can't force itself on you quite as much.  Maybe you can treat it the way I do: a revision.  Sometimes when I look at it from that perspective, I don't force myself to work as hard.  Doesn't always work, but the pressure unloads a little.
Just a thought.
#1064 - August 05, 2011, 02:20 PM

Brenda Z

Have started a MG novel and worked on it all day...almost burnt dinner because I couldn't figure out this one part until right about time dinner was ready...started writing things down on a paper towel and didn't hear the oven timer... :oops

Good news...I made sure the paper towel was safe...dinner, not so much...grin...
#1065 - August 05, 2011, 03:44 PM

mswatkins

Thanks thunderingelephants, I'll do that.  :)
#1066 - August 05, 2011, 05:36 PM

I have finally finished my requested revision and am plunging into a new project to keep myself from getting to anxious about the one I just finished. The project was half-done when I left off to do other things so I figured I would revise the written part to get myself into the story, and then write the ending. My laptap has developed a dislike for the letter "r", so I am on the family desktop which doesn't put a wordcount on the bottom like I'm used to. :grrr Anyway, I got to page six today.
#1067 - August 17, 2011, 11:42 AM

Finished chapter one today and got into chapter two. I can tell I was developing voice here. The MC makes a lot of comments that develop character, but don't really push the plot forward.
#1068 - August 18, 2011, 11:18 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Sad to see summer go, but oh! That means school starts! *grabs laptop excitedly* Even though we are out for another week, four of my five kids went to play with friends today, and I wrote 800 words! They aren't particularly good words, but I also made a lot of notes on the story itself, so a lot of today was spent in development. It feels SO GOOD!
#1069 - August 18, 2011, 05:38 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm torn...dying for school to start again, but that means my oldest heads back to college.   :cry2...but I'm so longing for a quiet house so I can get more than a sentence done each day...
#1070 - August 18, 2011, 05:44 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Member.
Poster Plus
I worked on my WIP every day this week. Well, I worked on two different WIPs this week. Not sure what I think I am doing but I keep getting pulled between them so I am just going with whichever one speaks to me that day and hopefully one will take over!
#1071 - August 18, 2011, 06:42 PM
YA reader/writer, ghostwriter, librarian.
Blueboard member since 2008

I'm torn, too. My youngest goes to kindergarten this year--full day kindergarten. I will miss him.
#1072 - August 19, 2011, 08:04 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Not many words of text today, but a lot of plot development. For some reason I can plan with lots of people in the house, but not write when my kids have a bunch of friends over. But hey, I have sticky notes up on my bedroom door that I can move around and fill in with scenes, so I'm doing *something,* right?
#1073 - August 19, 2011, 09:26 PM

Olmue, there is a slight detection of guilt in your post which you should eliminate straight away.  You used your brain appropriately: that's work, in my opinion.
Well done.
#1074 - August 20, 2011, 01:58 AM

SuziMcGowen

:oncomputer
Oh yes, this is something I need! I worked on my WiP today. At this point, I'm not looking for word count (much) as much as I am wanting to get back in the habit of writing every day. (It's been a hard year.)

What gets me is that I love to write! It feels good and I enjoy it. So why do I need motivation to do it? One of life's mysteries, I guess :)
#1075 - August 20, 2011, 04:01 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
I put in about an hour today.  Making progress.
#1076 - August 21, 2011, 06:35 PM

SuziMcGowen

I worked on Penny's Luck today, and thanks to the awesome suggestions from the folks here, I think I have a handle on an issue that's been causing me problems.

:typing
#1077 - August 21, 2011, 08:14 PM

Ravyn2002

Worked on my MG Sci-Fi today.  I write mainly PB's so I give props to all of you who write longer works. It is such a interesting story but it is developing so slow for me. I outlined this story (which I almost never do!) and felt the ending chapters lacked substance. In my writing today I figured out a plot element that will help me to flesh out the beginning and add to those later chapters. It made me feel like :partytime  Wish me luck as I inch along!
#1078 - August 24, 2011, 05:26 PM

I'm a picture book writer.  So I don't know what I'm doing writing a YA.  In two days, maybe three, I now have 5046 words. Going to work on another 1000 before bed maybe more. But I'd like to hit 10,000 before bed but I know that's a fantasy. : ) 

I'll try to report tomorrow too.

Thanks for this thread.

#1079 - August 24, 2011, 09:10 PM

Just checking in....

I'm at 12,012 words right now.

Must keep writing. My MC is about to have a really bad night and I have to get her back to her next door neighbor's house by midnight. If you don't see me check in tomorrow, send me spam. I'll deserve it.
#1080 - August 25, 2011, 06:00 PM

Members: