SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Story Something Question

Discussion started on

Has anyone subbed to Story Something lately? Are they no response = no thanks? I subbed to them a couple of months ago using their online form and received an auto-response that I'd hear back in about 10 business days. I've sent one SQ and still heard nothing.

They published a story of mine when they were first starting, but it looks like they've made changes in not only submissions process but also who handles incoming mss. I think I'll send one more SQ and notify them that I'll pull the sub and send it elsewhere if I don't hear back. Too bad, because it's a neat venture and pays well.
#1 - September 03, 2010, 03:04 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
MIchelle,
I sent my first sub to Story Something on August 23 and received the reply that they try to respond to authors as quickly as possible, and will get back in 10 business days or less. I've had no reply yet, and it's nearly 10 business days. Sure hope this market isn't going down. I'll post if and when I hear anything.

Guy
#2 - September 03, 2010, 09:50 PM
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 04:04 PM by AzGuy »
http://www.guybelleranti.com/
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) August 2017, RR Books

Thanks, Guy!
I hope they stay in business. It's such a neat concept and they pay very well.
#3 - September 04, 2010, 02:23 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
I'm not familiar with Story Something and when I went to their website, I couldn't find any submission info.   Guy and Michelle, would you mind sharing a little bit about what you like about Story Something?  Are they and online magazine?   What rights do they purchase?  How much do they pay per word and when?    I'm very curious about this market that is new to me.

Thanks,

Laura
#4 - September 05, 2010, 06:42 AM
http://laurasassitales.wordpress.com/
Twitter:  @laurasassitales
GOODNIGHT ARK
 GOODNIGHT MANGER
LOVE IS KIND
 DIVA DELORES & THE OPERA HOUSE MOUSE

Laura,
Here are their submissions guidelines/forms:  http://www.storysomething.com/pages/authors
The basic concept is you create a story that parents read to their children (or older kids for themselves) in which they plug in your child's name and other family members/pets/teachers names etc for personalization. So you write to very specific guidelines and the child is the "star" of the story. Then each month (maybe more often?) the parent receives an emailed story starring their child in activities and adventures that they would be interested in.

They had been closed to submissions for awhile, then not long ago I saw on Twitter they were requesting stories. I'm not sure what payment policy is now, but at the time I submitted,
it was pay by writing experience, and I was well compensated. The contract was very thorough, and it seems they purchased all rights on a work-for-hire basis.

Hope this helps!
Michelle
#5 - September 05, 2010, 02:59 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Hi Laura. Michelle seems to know a lot more about Story Something than I do. She even made a sale to them (congrats, Michelle!). The link she provided in her response to your question will give you the same information I have regarding guidelines, pay, etc. I thought it sounded like an interesting concept, and since I had a story that I thought might fit the 8+ age group I sent it in on August 23.
I did receive an auto-response that said they try to respond quickly and would get back within 10 business days. However, Michelle is concerned now because a second story she has out to them has never been responded to. Hopefully this doesn't mean they are no longer a viable market.

Guy
#6 - September 05, 2010, 04:03 PM
Cow's Bad Dream & Muddy Pig, Clean Pig (the 4th & 5th books in my Farm Friends series ) August 2017, RR Books

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Many thanks, Michelle and Guy.   I will have to take a close look at those guidelines - just as soon as my kids get back to school beginning Tuesday.     

I hope you both hear back regarding your latest submissions and please let us know if you do ultimately get replies, because I'd like to submit something if the market is still a go.

Best,

Laura
#7 - September 05, 2010, 04:28 PM
GOODNIGHT ARK
 GOODNIGHT MANGER
LOVE IS KIND

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
I still have not heard back on my submission to Story Something, nor have they responded to my follow-up inquiry (which I sent by email on September 20).

Michelle, did you ever hear back on your submission?

Thanks for any information you (or anyone else) can supply.

Guy
#8 - October 06, 2010, 08:02 PM

jenniferfisher

I subbed in August and received the same automated reply about 10 business days. Still haven't heard   :waiting
#9 - October 07, 2010, 06:46 AM

Still no response here. I continue to receive their stories via email for my daughter. I don't know what's going on. I'll see if I can find the original email address I subbed to for some more info.
#10 - October 07, 2010, 07:20 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thanks, Michelle.

Guy

Still no response here. I continue to receive their stories via email for my daughter. I don't know what's going on. I'll see if I can find the original email address I subbed to for some more info.
#11 - October 07, 2010, 01:31 PM

I subbed in early September and got the automated response. But have heard nothing since.
#12 - October 08, 2010, 08:25 AM
Stained Glass Summer, Musa Publishing
Weaving Magic, YA Romance
Finders Keepers--MeeGenius Publishing
www.mindyhardwick.com

I sent a status query today to the original email I used and asked if they were still open for subs. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
#13 - October 08, 2010, 08:53 AM

jenniferfisher

Thanks Michelle!
#14 - October 08, 2010, 09:36 AM

PiaSurligneur

I subbed to them several months back, and have not heard back anything except the usual immediate form letter stating it I would hear from them in 10 business days.
Sent a request for follow-up about a month ago and haven't heard a thing.

Pia
#15 - October 11, 2010, 12:35 PM

PiaSurligneur

Anyone heard anything yet?  Just wondering about this company.  They are legit, right?  I noticed on their editorial guidelines that there is a major typo, which I usually consider a red flag on publisher sites.

Can anyone elaborate on their experiences with Story Something?

Thanks!
#16 - November 10, 2010, 04:06 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region austin
Pia.
Hi! Well, I sold them 3 stories early on, when they were using an excellent and very lovely agent as their " acquisitions editor."  The pay was *excellent*, although a little late in coming. But it came!  :yay
My stories are still up on the beta site, but it's been so long, I'm afraid the venture may not take off. I sure hope so - the stories are cute, the concept is fun, and my kids love it. (Also love seeing their own names in the stories I wrote.)   
My guess is they're not acquiring right now. I'll post back here if I notice any huge changes on the beta site. I wrote those 3 stories expressly for them, so I'm not too sad that they're not available for everyone to see. Well, maybe just a little sad.  :-\

#17 - November 10, 2010, 04:31 PM
THE SINISTER SWEETNESS OF SPLENDID ACADEMY, 2012
NIGHTINGALE'S NEST, Feb. 20, 2014
WISH GIRL, Feb. 24, 2015
Razorbill/Penguin

Pia,
My experience was very similar to nickypicky's, although a couple of months ago my story landed in my inbox. That was fun! I still haven't heard back, either. I'm assuming they're currently closed. It's also been a few weeks since I've received a story. Not sure what's up with that.
#18 - November 10, 2010, 04:52 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
My daughter just received a story today in her inbox from them, so we're still receiving.  I haven't subbed anything to them yet, however.  I've been following this thread and waiting to see what happens.   

Laura
#19 - November 10, 2010, 05:43 PM
GOODNIGHT ARK
 GOODNIGHT MANGER
LOVE IS KIND

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Still waiting for a reply to my August 23 submission. I sent them a follow-up email inquiry on September 20th, but have had no reply to that either. Maybe they don't respond to rejected subs? All I know is that my Aug 23 submission received an auto reply saying they get back to authors as quickly as possible - in 10 business days or less. I figure I'll give them a little more time, but the situation doesn't look good. . . .

Guy
#20 - November 10, 2010, 06:54 PM
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:55 PM by AzGuy »

PiaSurligneur

Doesn't sound too promising...  Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.  I'll give them three months and withdraw my sub.

#21 - November 16, 2010, 10:45 AM

Members: