School Presentations

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Hello All:

Here's a question I've been itching to ask magazine writers in particular (as opposed to published book authors):

Have any of you put together school presentations using your magazine pieces as tools in teaching the writing process? If so, how did it go?   I'd love to put something together for my kids' schools and would love any words of wisdom.

Laura

#1 - September 05, 2010, 06:45 AM
http://laurasassitales.wordpress.com/
Twitter:  @laurasassitales
GOODNIGHT ARK
 GOODNIGHT MANGER
LOVE IS KIND
 DIVA DELORES & THE OPERA HOUSE MOUSE

Laura,
  I have. I done a couple high school presentations for my daughter's school about the writing process. They went well -- I was invited back. Originally I did them because my daughter told her teacher that she would be fine missing a critique session for some other event because her dad was a published writer. The teacher called to see if this was true, and one thing led to another.
 One thing I'm always clear about is the difference between editing, line editing, and revising. And I do talk about giving critiques.
And I've done a few for school teachers on reviewing, writing, and using magazine articles in the classroom in day-long workshops. Again very good.
  I don't have people lined-up at the door begging me to come speak, but I do get an occasional phone call to do it.

keep writing,
dave r
#2 - September 05, 2010, 08:11 AM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

SimplyFi

Absolutely. All of the same good writing techniques apply. And magazine writing is actually closer to the size and type of writing kids do in school, so it can be easier for them to relate to. 

I did school presentations for a few years with my magazine work before my books started coming out. I hadn't planned on it...I was going to wait until I was an "official published book author", but I kept getting requests, so finally caved and put some presentations together.  The demand was steady. The extra income was nice. 

Go for it!
#3 - September 13, 2010, 10:06 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I have too ... and it really is perfect for kids, something they can chew on. There are magazines that publish stuff from kids -- Stone soup, New Moon -- so it's not just vanity publishing.

Good luck.
Vijaya
#4 - September 13, 2010, 01:59 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Members: