SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

parenting magazines

Discussion started on

In researching some parenting magazines (not small, local or regional ones, but more of the "big" national ones), I was surprised to see that many of the "big" mags that I subscribed to when I was a new mom have folded.  Of the few remaining, I can only find a very small number (2?) that advertise being open to queries, and provide mailing addresses or contact info.  I'm guessing that the others must still read queries, but don't advertise doing so, to keep their volume of submissions down.  They may do most of their work in-house, too, but I can't believe that they don't buy at least some of their material from outside.  I just looked through an issue of Parenting, for example, and it's chock full of fresh ideas and loads of different types of pieces, columns, features, etc.  Just can't see it all coming from in-house.

So, I have two articles critiqued, marinated, revised, and ready to go to a parenting magazine, and feel that Parenting would be an excellent fit, but I have no contact info., other than the editorial staffers' names from the inside cover.  (No address!)  Is there anyone out there who might be willing to share an address with me, or have any particular insights about these "big" parenting magazines?

Thanks,
Liana (buglady)
#1 - August 07, 2010, 12:27 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I only have info (address) from the 2010 Writers Market -- Basically, it says to send to "Articles Editor".  Bonnier Corporation, 2 Park Ave, New York, NY, 10016.  I've searched their website in the past for submission guidelines (which the WM says is there), but I seem to remember being unsuccessful.  The WM says "query"; articles 1,000-2500 words.

I sent something in the past to Parents magazine (which does have guidelines on their site), but never heard back, though they claim to have a six week response time.  That's my only experience with a big parenting mag, but I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

Sorry if that was not at all helpful!
Jen
#2 - August 07, 2010, 12:40 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hmmmmm.  My 2010 Magazine Markets for Children's Writers says: submit to Submissions Editor at 135 West 50th Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10026. It also says that they publish 10-15 freelance submissions yearly.

Wishing you the best!

-Ruth  :love
#3 - August 07, 2010, 04:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
They prefer you email pitches/queries (I'd avoid sending an entire article as that's not the way magazine journalism usually works). The email is FirstName.LastName@BonnierCorp.com

They also say, 'Pitch service pieces that 'avoid the one size fits all' approach of traditional parenting mag.'

Hope that helps!
#4 - August 07, 2010, 05:00 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
PS 40% of their stuff is from freelancers.
#5 - August 07, 2010, 05:01 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
ilnuv, interesting, that's what my copy of that book says too...but the other publication says what I posted previously.  Siski might have more current info, though, because I know she's very active in the freelance community and has access to web info for freelancers via a closed community, of sorts.

I guess we are no help to you at all!
#6 - August 07, 2010, 05:11 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Yep, I got that info from MediaBistro.com! I really should stop telling people about it but it is just soooo good.
#7 - August 07, 2010, 05:14 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
 :lol2 Siski!  But I know you're up to date...whereas some of our print publications can't keep up with the ever-changing world of publishing!
#8 - August 07, 2010, 05:40 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I remember when I'd turn to my print market guides as a sole source of submission information. Nowadays I use them less and less, and when I do it's often just to "double check" against info I've found online. So, yes, definately, let's defer to Siski's inside information.  :smile
#9 - August 07, 2010, 06:44 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I used to write for Parenting and American Baby magazines, then stopped pitching after an overseas move and going back to teaching.

A few weeks ago I reconnected with my editor at American Baby, and she said she was happy to receive pitches for new ideas. She did say that the focus of their magazine has changed a bit since they were acquired by Parents magazine a few years ago. They used to target parents of kids ages 0 to 5, but now they're really only focused on ages 0-2 with a huge emphasis on pregnancy, while Parents focuses mostly on ages 3 and up (although not exclusively).

The editor I loved working with at Parenting is now the editor-in-chief at Kiwi magazine-, which emphasizes a sort of green approach to raising kids. When she moved there a few years ago she told me to send some pitches, but life got in the way and I never sent her any, so I don't know how much freelancing they use now.

I know that Parenting is now in two versions--for parents of babies/toddlers, and for parents of school-aged children.

I would HIGHLY recommend subscribing to Media Bistro--I did when I was actively freelancing and it helped a great deal. It's not always a question of whether or not magazines use freelance work (almost all do), but rather which sections take freelance pitch ideas. For examples, I remember pitching a health idea to one magazine (can't remember which) and the editor saying that all health topcis were done in-house.

:goodluck
#10 - August 08, 2010, 01:04 AM
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
A LONG PITCH HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

Thanks so much everyone!  I didn't purchase a CWIM this year, so I was researching only online sources as well as copies of the print mags.  I was so surprised to see the mags that had folded up...can't remember which ones at the moment, but I think Child might have been one?

I'm going to check out Media Bistro.  Thanks for that tip, Natalie!

Both of my articles happen to have a "green" focus, so I might just check out Kiwi's guidelines, too.

Thanks,
Liana
#11 - August 08, 2010, 05:30 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
You're welcome, Liana.

Note that you'll want to sign up for the paid membership with Avantguild (within MediaBistro), not just the free updates. Avantguild has the "How To Pitch" feature for a ton of magazines, and that's what I found most helpful.
#12 - August 08, 2010, 05:39 AM
FLYING THE DRAGON (Charlesbridge, 2012)
A LONG PITCH HOME (Charlesbridge, 2016)

www.nataliediaslorenzi.com
http://bibliolinks.wordpress.com/

You're welcome, Liana.

Note that you'll want to sign up for the paid membership with Avantguild (within MediaBistro), not just the free updates. Avantguild has the "How To Pitch" feature for a ton of magazines, and that's what I found most helpful.

Done!  Thanks, Natalie!  I've already found exactly what I was looking for!

Liana
#13 - August 08, 2010, 09:40 AM

Great information, everyone. Thanks!
I'm starting to work on my freelance work again.
#14 - August 17, 2010, 11:34 AM

Members: