SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Writer/Author/Illustrator Poll

Discussion started on

ladylind

New!
OK, I decided to get scientific about this.  Instead of just counting hands--so unscientific--we'll do an actual poll.  In this poll you can change your vote over time so that WHEN you get published you can come back and update this thread, which will run forever.  Long live the Blueboards!

I put writers in there too, in case we have any guests to the illustrating genre.  You can only pick one; if I've missed anything let me know.  

CHEERS!!!  
Melissa
#1 - October 07, 2010, 01:32 PM
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:29 AM by ladylind »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Hey Lady,
I'm in! Will be interesting to find out the results!
S
#2 - October 07, 2010, 01:36 PM

ladylind

Wow you guys are quick.  There were already 3 votes before I got to vote.  The power of BBers is immense!
#3 - October 07, 2010, 01:38 PM

ladylind

12 votes is not bad for one day...but I think we've got more out there.  Don't be shy, and don't let the death of the picture book article scare you!  You always hear about the death of fiction, then there was the death of non-fiction...bunch of hooey if you ask me.  Scare tactics because it was a slow news day more likely.
#4 - October 08, 2010, 02:08 PM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Takes more than that to scare us off. :werd
#5 - October 08, 2010, 02:17 PM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Lady, Maybe the title of your post looks like you're calling for Author/Illustrator's to raise their hand, esp since you have it in the ILLUSTRATING section. Can you rename thread to: POLL for Blueboard Members, or something like that. I think the thread title might be confusing. There are tons of published authors on this board... and I bet they haven't even looked at this yet.
#6 - October 08, 2010, 02:21 PM

ladylind

Good point Syoon. 

Maybe I should take out the writer's category and make this poll specific to illustrators and make a different poll  that is broader to include the different genres of writing.  Last year I put together that kind of poll with Jodi S and we only got 200 votes, which compared to presidential elections is good ;), but I wondered if it was a good representation of blueboarders.  It has since been deleted because it was old; it was posted under Other Stuff.

The thing that seemed to attract more votes was keeping the thread lively with comments.  What do you think?
#7 - October 09, 2010, 07:35 AM

ladylind

All right.  I've done it now.

I've taken writers off of this poll and put them here:

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=46441.0

Oh how I love polls!  So Sciency.
#8 - October 10, 2010, 09:03 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Hello- I'm new to posting, and an illustrator-  introduced myself in another post- but glad there are a few other illustrators-- I'm a writer too- so guess even more of a subset! Hi Jill B. from Colorado!
#9 - November 04, 2010, 09:04 AM

ladylind

Welcome welcome...and from Colorado!!!  Me too.  Where from?  I am near Crawford.

Yes we are a rare species, so glad you've joined us.
#10 - November 04, 2010, 06:58 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks Melissa-
I live in the far SW corner of the state- see into New Mexico and Utah- is Crawford way east?
Peeked at your website- you are diversified- collage, water color or pastel and pen and ink- am debating doing more line work to get into the educational and older chapter book markets- any luck with that? -  the question should probably be a new post- still figuring out the system- ! But thanks for the welcome.
#11 - November 05, 2010, 03:33 PM

ladylind

Julia,

No luck yet.  Had thought about the chapter world, but I am a color junkie, have to have it.

SW Colorado, what town!?  Durango?  That's some of my favorite country.  I grew up in Junction. We are two hours from GJ now towards Gunnison.

So impressed to see more published Author/illustrators than unpublished.  BRAVO!
#12 - November 06, 2010, 08:42 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
I am the country near Dolores- I can see Mesa Verde National Park out my window- near Durango- so we are pretty close actually- well there is a few mountains to get around! I haven't done the line art either- am getting a mailer ready to market for older reader book covers and the general market- and thinking about greeting cards though it does not come naturally- being a writer/illustrator/ jack of all trades can also trip you up- and keep you from focusing and following through!
#13 - November 07, 2010, 07:30 AM

ladylind

New!
Julia...sorry for the long delay in response.  I am a bit lazy on the boards.  

Your artwork is fantastic...is it all fabric?  My mother is a seamstress and fabric artist (although she's more into watercolor these days).

A Coloradan and a road biker to boot!  I bet you've done the Iron Horse right?  I did it about four years ago as a prep for Ride The Rockies.  That's a tough ride early in the season.  Gorgeous country, Dolores.  We are close, except for those 14,000 high mountains in the way ;)

Good luck with your work.  I look forward to seeing more.
#14 - November 23, 2010, 11:24 AM
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:30 AM by ladylind »

Members: