SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Advice about a question for a magazine editor

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I want to ask the editor of one of the Cobblestone magazines a question about an upcoming theme. I have a couple of ideas that would fit the theme, but they're in crossover territory between this theme and the theme for an issue that is coming out in a few months. Before I put together my query, I want to make sure I'm not revisiting old territory for the magazine. I'm writing a short note to the editor, just to run my ideas past her and make sure the magazine isn't already publishing anything like them.

I published a short article in this magazine last year. Should I mention this in my e-mail? If so, should I mention it right at the beginning, to remind the editor who I am straight away? Or should I just ask my question and toss in a line at the end that shows I have some history with the magazine?

Thanks for your advice!
#1 - November 07, 2010, 11:35 AM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region austin
Melissa,
Well, IMO you should definitely remind her of your prior publication with her mag. You're more likely (at least in my experience) to get a faster reply. ;) I would put it up front, but that's just me.
Good luck!
#2 - November 07, 2010, 11:41 AM
THE SINISTER SWEETNESS OF SPLENDID ACADEMY, 2012
NIGHTINGALE'S NEST, Feb. 20, 2014
WISH GIRL, Feb. 24, 2015
Razorbill/Penguin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Thanks, Nicky. That's what I thought, too, but I always get to second guessing myself on things like this.

#3 - November 07, 2010, 06:56 PM
Twitter: @MelissaKoosmann

Members: