SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Any printmakers out there?

Discussion started on

JillB

I'm a printmaker in a small town. I feel like a rare species! Are there any other printmakers doing children's illustration on these boards? I'd love to say hi!

Jill Bergman
http://artonthepage.blogspot.com
http://www.jillbergman.com
#1 - November 15, 2010, 07:53 AM

pogo

More like a children's illustrator doing printmaking, but <waves>!
#2 - November 15, 2010, 04:18 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm a collage artist- doing children's illustration- hi Jill- is it still snowing there- it is here- other side of the Rockies-!! But this illustrator is in awe of you printmakers!!
#3 - November 15, 2010, 04:20 PM

Penn Bender

I got my BFA and MFA in printmaking, but mostly work in paint from home.  I have access to some presses, since my husband teaches printmaking, but I am happy with an immediate process that still has a wood cut feel to it.  I love that Eric Rohmann won a Caldecott with his relief prints in "My Friend Rabbit".
"Drummer Hoff" (relief prints) also won a Caldecott.
I always thought it would be fun to do a book of monotype illustrations, since I don't see anything like that on the market.
#4 - November 16, 2010, 05:50 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Printmaking is so beautiful in how simple it is- and how limited the medium is and how the artist has constraints.

I got my BFA and MFA in printmaking, but mostly work in paint from home.  I have access to some presses, since my husband teaches printmaking, but I am happy with an immediate process that still has a wood cut feel to it. 
I always thought it would be fun to do a book of monotype illustrations, since I don't see anything like that on the market.
I hope you do- it would be great to bring back some of those really simple books from when we were kids- not everything has to be full color-
#5 - November 16, 2010, 06:54 AM

JillB

Hi Guys!

Pogo do you have a website for your illustration and/or printmaking? (So I can visit!)

Hi Julia- It's been snowing every day for a week! Not a lot, but it really adds up. I have to go shovel right now..... And I also love the simpler relief prints that have few colors.

Penn, that's a great idea about a book of monotypes. What process are you talking about that has a wood cut feel? Do you mean the painting, or the monotypes? I also love My Friend Rabbit. I don't know Drummer Hoff- I'll try google.
Do you have a website?

Julia, I know your website! I'll come visit later...
#6 - November 16, 2010, 08:14 AM

Members: