SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Apparently I don't have fingerprints!!

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
hello- any other illustrators have this problem?
Went to get fingerprinted to start subbing at our country school- in the down time of freelancing- and my fingerrprints are rubbed off- ! The officer said it happens with cermanic artists and I told him I use to weave baskets - sure that would do it- the wet reed dragging across my fingers- but have not done that for years- hummm- fabric collage, sewing - wouldn't think that would do it- bet your printmakers dont have fingerprints!
And there you go- mystery writers- you could have a criminal ceramicist- and no one could catch them!!
#1 - November 15, 2010, 04:37 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
That is fascinating, Julia!  Will they let you draw your own? I always imagined a witch to have a spiderweb thumbprint. What would yours look like? Hmmm.
#2 - November 15, 2010, 04:45 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
My pastor's daughter ran into the same thing. She had to get fingerprinted for, I think, bringing her adopted boys out of Haiti, and she didn't have any identifiable swirls! They said a very small percentage of people don't. I hadn't heard it could be from ceramics or basket weaving; I don't know if she even did any of that.

You belong to an elite group. :smile
#3 - November 15, 2010, 04:47 PM

My grandpa told me about the time when he was a young lumberjack and a murder was committed in the camp. Police used this new finger printing thing on them only to find that most lumberjacks don't have fingerprints. During the time they're working the mill, they spend hours on top of huge piles of wood, sliding it down through their hands to others below. It probably works different today.

I had plans to use this in an historical ms someday. That side of my family has given me more than enough material.  :ha
#4 - November 15, 2010, 04:53 PM
Bazooka Joe says, I have the ability to become outstanding in literature.
http://samhranac.blogspot.com/

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I wonder. Years of painting, weaving, leather working and sewing, plus super dry skin. I bet my prints are a bit worn off, too.  :chesirecat
#5 - November 15, 2010, 05:23 PM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

pixiechick

The tips of my fingers are like that on my left hand from playing guitar.
#6 - November 15, 2010, 06:10 PM

The tips of my fingers are like that on my left hand from playing guitar.

And playing with SuperGlue, Sarah?
#7 - November 15, 2010, 06:45 PM

pixiechick

Lol, Christy! so true!  :dr
#8 - November 15, 2010, 07:51 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
 The lumber jack makes perfect sense- I first heard of it in the extra production videos of the Lord of the Rings- movie- the guys who sat all day and made chain-mel- wore off their fingerprints!

And yes- I should of asked if I coud draw my own in! The Police Officer didn't laugh when he told me I didn't have every good prints and I said- well at least it will be hard for me to get caught if I commit a crime!

guitars- didnt think of that-  or superglue-  still bet printmakers dont have good prints.

and yes - there is some good materail there-  lumberjacks sound way more exciting then criminal cermacists!

leather working- with all the chemicals- would probably do it!
#9 - November 15, 2010, 08:15 PM

Penn Bender

Printmakers, who work in intaglio could probably lose fingerprints from all the chemicals.  But when I was studying printmaking in college, I was mistaken for a mechanic at a monster truck show because all of the ink etched in my dry/ damaged skin. :)
#10 - November 16, 2010, 05:45 AM

HB

I tried to tell my husband this cool fact but it turns out he already knew it. When he was roofing for the summer he lost his fingerprints but his grew back.
#11 - November 16, 2010, 06:17 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
Pritmakers, who work in intaglio could probably lose fingerprints from all the chemicals.  But when I was studying printmaking in college, I was mistaken for a mechanic at a monster truck show because all of the ink etched in my dry/ damaged skin. :)

Yup- we were an odd set in college- When I was in there- our instructor would have to all us art majors to wash our hands because the janitors were on his case- finding oil paint fringerprint marks across the school on door knobs!
#12 - November 16, 2010, 06:38 AM

Rock of The Westies
Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Interesting. Considering I've used Comet . . . ahem . . . yes, Comet   :ahh to get products off my hands (sometimes I even use stain on my finishes in painting especially crafting a faux glaze)  it wouldn't surprise me if my fingerprints rubbed off from time to time. Talk about exfoliating your skin at a fast pace, I bet Comet does the trick. But like HB said, they probably come back as the patterns are in your skin and as the new growth replaces the dead exfoliated skin, it would seem the prints would come back unless you keep doing the same things over and over that make them go away. I imagine it's at a slower growth rate than elsewhere on the body too.
#13 - November 16, 2010, 06:41 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Teachers lose their fingerprints, too. It's from handling all that paper.
#14 - November 16, 2010, 07:44 AM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

kdarby

Mine too... Guess I had a double whammy, teacher and artist! From what the woman at the teacher certification office said, I worried that it had been from a cleaning chemical. Relieved to hear it may be just wear and tear... I think! :)
#15 - November 16, 2010, 04:19 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
one tip the officer said was to use a lotion called "corn huskers" for 3-4 days and try again- it cleans out the ridges and they use it at the jail- when they need to get fingerprints with the big burly inmates!
if it softens the hands of people who husk corn- maybe it can soften our artist hands!
#16 - November 16, 2010, 07:16 PM

Members: