SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Making a Christmas Wish List

Discussion started on

Penn Bender

I was wondering how many illustrators use the" Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines."  Is it helpful in understanding pricing for children's book illustrations?  Should I ask for the "Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market" instead?
#1 - November 16, 2010, 06:15 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
They both do different things. I have both new editions.
#2 - November 16, 2010, 11:06 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
If you are looking for trade book illustration work, then CWIM (Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market) is great for researching publishers and finding out their needs.

If you are looking to do freelance illustration work with clients that may ask you to price a job, than GAG's Pricing & Ethical Guidelines book will help you to find out price ranges and guidelines.

I have both and have referenced both, but feel that for what I do, I don't really need the GAG pricing book (I've only used it a couple of times). On the other hand, I've used my CWIM books many times (I usually get a new one each year because publisher info changes), especially to research illustrator postcard mailings.

So, what you put on your list will depend on what you need and what you want. Maybe you need both, maybe you don't. I'd suggest looking at an online bookstore for descriptions of both and also trying to find them at the bookstore so you can look at them in person too. Let us know what you decide. :)
#3 - November 16, 2010, 02:32 PM
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:34 PM by Stephanie Ruble »
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
I get the GAG pricing book periodically- just for a laugh at what they say I should be getting!
But the CWIM- I get every year and also the Artist and Graphic Design Market guide every year- think it is worth more then the GAG- I dont think that even comes out every year- but dont trust any of them- verify info on publishers website- !
#4 - November 16, 2010, 03:50 PM

Penn Bender

Thanks for responding. 
My husband just found a 10 year old version of the GAG pricing book, I can only find a couple pages in it that would apply to what I want to do.
#5 - November 19, 2010, 06:37 AM

Members: