SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

should you rhyme in Pbs?

Discussion started on

As a rhyme nerd, I must point out that children's poetry (whether short poetry or pb-length) does not need to be strictly iambic. It is perfectly acceptable (and common) to write in trochaic or anapestic meter. But yes, iambic is very popular! And I agree that children's poetry tends to be more "regular" than adult poetry.
Actually yeah, anapestic tetrameter is very common in Dr Seuss.
#31 - June 27, 2014, 08:55 PM

My take on it is this as someone who writes in verse. The  biggest problem with rhyme is that when I read it, it often comes off as tacked on for the sake of rhyming. I believe in natural rhyming, which is rhyming that naturally comes from human speech and conversation.

I generally tend to write my verse picture books in haikai no rienga chains, which is form that doesn't require rhyme.
#32 - June 28, 2014, 11:22 AM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
That sounds interesting, SarahW - I'd love to see an example of that.
#33 - June 28, 2014, 06:16 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Here's a sticky with further info on rhyme: https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=14603.0

There is another sticky in the SCBWI critique section as well. In fact, I'll be taking some of the resources listed and adding them as links there too. Thanks for those.
#34 - July 07, 2014, 08:53 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Now I personally do rhyme, but it's one of those things its really really hard to do well.
#35 - July 08, 2014, 02:47 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I have a rhyming PB, titled You May Just be a Dinosaur coming out in Spring 2015. It took me 1.5 years to find the perfect publisher.  What I did, before I submitted to a publisher, was search their website for rhyming PB's. This helped me gauge who was interested in this material.  From there I'd look up the book on Amazon (from the look inside preview) or check out the book(s) in the library  and see what types of rhymes in general they published. This helped a lot!

I agree it's difficult and the rule of thumb is it has to rhyme, well.  The flow has to match throughout.  For each sentence , I even matched syllables as best I could and always had an end rhyme.

Hope this helps and good luck!
#36 - July 17, 2014, 12:59 PM
You May Just Be a Dinosaur
The Ant Farm Escape!
Rex the...We-Don't-Know
Pelican Publishing Company, Incorporated

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
As a teacher, I LOVE to read rhyming picture books to my class and they love to hear it!  Rhyming helps children learn how to read.  Keep rhyming!!!!
#37 - July 17, 2014, 03:23 PM
Mary Munson

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
[Quote author = Write4kids link = topic = 56471.msg895028 fecha # msg895028 = 1405635802]
Como profesor, me encanta leer libros de rimas y fotos a mi clase y les encanta escucharlo! Las rimas ayudan a los ni?os a aprender a leer. Mantenga rima!!
[/ quote]

I'm not a teacher but I love rhyme for the same reason. Well, that and because it's just fun to read out loud. But only if it's done well. I can just about handle badly written prose but badly written rhyme just makes me want to throw the book across the room!
#38 - July 17, 2014, 07:35 PM

So is this a no rhyme, or no poetry? I don't mean free verse, but not all poems rhyme.
#39 - July 17, 2014, 07:53 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo

Well the OP asked specifically about rhyming in picture books, not poetry.

Some of my picture books rhyme. I also teach Pre-K, and to echo what others have said, rhyming picture books are wonderful...kids love them, parents/teachers love to read them to kids...IF they are done well. And it is very difficult to do it well. It takes a natural ear for it + lots of practice to write publication-worthy, rhyming picture books. (BUT I LOVE THEM!)

#40 - July 17, 2014, 08:56 PM
DREAM JOBS IN SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY (Rosen 2018)
THE GROSS SCIENCE OF BAD BREATH AND CAVITIES (Rosen 2019)

http://www.authorjessicashaw.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
It's about having perfect meter no matter which format you use. If you are going to write in verse, do it well.
#41 - July 21, 2014, 11:06 AM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: