SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Color Printers

Discussion started on

Penn Bender

I'm shopping around for a decent (but not too expensive) printer so I can make color promo stuff.  Surely, some of you illustrators are happy with your printers.  Any recommendations?

Thanks for whatever input you can offer.
#1 - June 28, 2011, 04:59 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
I'm in the same boat as you .  . . but for now, I'm getting my prints run at Costco. One of my friends recommended an Epson 2200, refurbished. She picked up hers refurbished rather inexpensively. She runs her art paper through it just fine. I'd be interested to hear what others are using too.  :paint
#2 - June 29, 2011, 07:14 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

Penn Bender

I've heard Epson is the way to go too, but I have mixed reviews on which one.
#3 - June 29, 2011, 08:23 AM

Illustrator / Artist
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I use the Epson Stylus c88. Not the most popular choice with illustrators I'm sure, but it is very cheap and can produce extremely high quality prints on the epson Durabrite glossy photo paper. I love that the durabrite inks are waterproof for promo postcards. Drawbacks are 8.5" x 11" max and it can't print on very thick stock. I print the address info on 110 lb card stock and affix with super 77 to the back of the glossy photo paper. I made a simple custom jig that allows easy alignment. A little more time spent but I only send selectively these days, so large printings are a waste for me anyway.
#4 - July 05, 2011, 05:50 PM

Penn Bender

Thanks for the input Steve.
#5 - July 11, 2011, 04:58 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
One thing to remember- that your color jets can dry out if you don't do enough printing- Thus why I go to the printer- my friends who have them  make sure to print something regularly so the printers dont clog up.
#6 - July 12, 2011, 05:59 AM

There are a few copiers in my town who do 11 by 17 very well. Hope they last.

That said, if I can find an all-in-one machine that is good I may invest. I just feel a little ill over how much the color toner costs and wonder if it is worth it if I can dash over to the copier and spend a few bucks for what I need.
#7 - July 12, 2011, 06:12 AM
What's for pudding, Mimmy?

Illustration website:

http://www.puddintanesbrain.com

www.puddersputter.blogspot.com

Penn Bender

I ended up buying an Epson 1400 today.  It prints 13X19 I think.  The inks are expensive, but we'll see how generic inks work. 

Yes, our last printer got the inks clogged up.  My goal is to do enough promo stuff to keep it working.  I'll let you know if there are problems with it, but fingers crossed that I picked a good one.
#8 - July 15, 2011, 04:47 PM

Simon_Turnbull

How did that printer go? Was it a good buy? I'd be very keen to hear your assessment.  :)
#9 - September 27, 2011, 12:59 AM

Penn Bender

I LOVE it!  I probably should print a few more images this week just to keep the ink from drying out, but I got some beautiful prints for my portfolio last month, so am happy with the purchase.
#10 - September 28, 2011, 02:52 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Penn, I have the Epson Stylus Photo 1400 model printer, too! Printing quality is exceptional! Epson has 13" x 19" glossy photo paper available,... which I LOVE!  I've never had the inks dry out on me though,... and it may be left un-used for over a month. I'll keep the ink-drying thing in mind though.

For inks and photo paper, I use Atlex.com and buy in bulk. It's way cheaper than retailers. They have lots of brands, and plenty of Epson products as well.
#11 - September 28, 2011, 03:09 PM

Penn Bender

I was thinking about mailings when I bought the printer. What kinds of things do you print in large format SYoon?
#12 - September 28, 2011, 03:26 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
I build full-color dummies with them for my novelty/board book submissions. For interior pages, I'll use my letter-sized photo papers and tape it together in the gutter, but if I want to make a full book cover, I need the larger trim. I used to have to splice the letter-sized papers. Now,.. it looks much cleaner without the splicing.
#13 - September 28, 2011, 03:33 PM

SYoon. Sounds like an ideal printer. Does it reduce from 11x17 to 8.5x11?

This will probably be my first purchase when I get an offer. Kinda sick of traveling back and forth to the printing shop.

Also, do you find that you need a fax machine? Or use one a lot?
#14 - September 29, 2011, 04:50 AM
What's for pudding, Mimmy?

Illustration website:

http://www.puddintanesbrain.com

www.puddersputter.blogspot.com

Simon_Turnbull

Thanks very much for the info.
#15 - October 11, 2011, 12:13 AM

Members: