SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Notes: Terminology clarification, Author Note, Art Note

Discussion started on

ljmoz

Hi All,

Term clarification note:
When using terminology that may not be common to all, (e.g. fish runs, two hook spreader) should a note be included in the manuscript? Or, left for the illustrator to research if need be?  :goldfish:

Author note:
During a conference critique, an editor suggested I add an Author Note when submitting that particular story. Typically, where should such a note be presented when submitting? (I should of asked where to place it, but I didn't :wacko)

Art note (email submission):
I have two art notes that are necessary to include in my manuscript. What is the least intrusive way to present when submitting via email?

Ciao,

Lori Mozdzierz

#1 - July 07, 2011, 06:28 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I don't know about the first question.

Author note:  I'd put it wherever you think it would go in the finished book, either at the front or the end.

Art note:  Just put it in parentheses or brackets, like this, at the place in the text where the reader needs the information:  [art note:  Joey's sword is a fish.]  I actually use the term "illo note" but I'm sure either is clear.

AM

#2 - July 07, 2011, 06:31 AM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
For your first question, illustrators do visual reference research anyway, so I'd be inclined to leave it and let them look it up. I write and illustrate, so I'm not 100% sure about illustrating someone else's text, but as long as you have the proper term required for them to find what they need to illustrate it, you're probably safe.
#3 - July 07, 2011, 09:18 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

ljmoz

Thanks, Ann Marie and Artemesia!

Ciao,

Lori
#4 - July 07, 2011, 04:04 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
that is a lot of notes for a picturebook manuscript you are trying to get someone interested in- can any of them wait til you have a deal- and then be something you share with your editor before they find an illustrator- can you make a clarification in the cover letter instead of in the manuscript?- I'd not include 3 notes in a manuscript, 2 is pushing it, 1 is okay, none is better to get that sell -
#5 - July 09, 2011, 07:48 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
I think two art notes is fine if they are necessary, it's notes dictating artistic direction that are to be avoided, and if an editor thought this particular story needed an author note, you could always just have it ready. Are you submitting this to the editor you met at a conference? If so, I'd include the author note. If you are submitting to agents, maybe just keep it ready and if there is interest you can let them know the ed's suggestion and that you have one and go from there. People get a little crazy sometimes about art notes and berate authors for using them, but if they are necessary to understand the ms, then they should be included. I know of authors on these boards who have been asked for them by editors because the story needed clarification. Two is not too many.
#6 - July 09, 2011, 09:59 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

ljmoz

Julie, :ohno My questions on the three note types do not pertain to one manuscript. Yikes! That may have my MC and gang in file 13 in no time flat!  :lol2

Artemesia, Re: Author Note: No, my submission is not to the conference editor. Wish is was as I would love to work with her!

#7 - July 09, 2011, 11:04 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I usually put Author's Notes at the end of the manuscript for folk tales or nonfiction.  The editor will decide where it goes in the text.  I use the following for illos. notes:

**NOTE TO ILLUSTRATOR:  The "little house" is a dovecote. This is sometimes necessary when the point of view character is a child or an animal. No one's ever objected.

First question:  Try to include a short explanation in the text if you can:

"Bats make high frequency sounds that are too high for adult human ears to hear."
"She had become a selkie, a magical creature who could change shapes whenever she wanted."

The rule for picture books is:  Keep it simple.

#8 - July 10, 2011, 05:07 PM
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 05:09 PM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

mirandapaulbooks

When you say that you put the author's note at the end of the manuscript, do you mean you put it on the same page when submitting (or a page break, separate page when printed?).

I've written a fictional PB but am choosing to write an author's note (one paragraph) about the cultural art within the story.  I am also planning on including a bibliography (two sources) and an expert review for that note and the work as a whole.  Do you think that's too much info for a submission, or right on target?
#9 - August 17, 2011, 02:17 PM

Members: