SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Printing

Discussion started on

plume

Does anyone know a good place to get a picture printed? It needs to be at least 10"x24"
#1 - August 17, 2011, 10:31 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
You really need to give more information. What kind of picture? What size is the original image? Is it digital? What will the end product be used for? Are you planning on selling archival prints? :reaction
#2 - August 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (PiƱata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
I used to use Kinkos because their printers were pretty darned good. But since they merged with Fed Ex and are now Fed Ex Office, the business has leased some machines that are less than mediocre. In putting my portfolio together for the L.A. conference, I was seeking some good prints and I found Costco's 1 hour photo to be good. You have to resize your canvas to their print size . . . so say you've done your finish at 8 1/2 by 11, you will need to size your canvas in PS up to 11 x 14 . . .  and they like the file less than 4M as a jpeg . . . you'll be left with some borders to trim off, but the prints are wonderful. They have a way you can do it online, but I really want to see more of what I'm doing so I take a flash drive in (you can't plug any external hard drives in at the store).

I'm looking at the dimensions they print and they don't have an 18 x 24, but if you went with the next size by expanding your canvas digitally to 20 x 30, at this time, one print at that size runs $8.99.

If you are looking to mass produce and sell your prints, that may not be the best option, but if it's for a gift, or you want a copy of your original work, it's a good way to go. (I was told by a former AD that the prints are difficult to tell from originals).  :eyeballs:

We also have commercial printers in town that will print for a fee based on how much you want done . . . giving bulk discounts. You may find one in your local listings.
#3 - August 17, 2011, 03:19 PM
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:29 PM by Cynthia Kremsner »
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

plume

Thanks all. Do you have to be a Costco member to get prints done there? Either online or at the store?
#4 - August 17, 2011, 04:44 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Sadly, yes. They ask for your card when you turn in your order.
#5 - August 17, 2011, 05:56 PM
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

plume

How much does a membership cost?
#6 - August 17, 2011, 06:04 PM

Sarah C. Pilon
Member.
Poster Plus
I'm just going to chime in here. A Costco membership is about 55$ for the year.
#7 - August 17, 2011, 08:16 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
Thanks Pilsonsc. We have the rewards membership which is initially more, but we get back that plus, throughout the year. It's worth it if you will use your membership . . . but if it's for a one time print, the local print shops may be a better option. Although, the ones here have pretty hefty charges.
#8 - August 17, 2011, 08:22 PM
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
I am a graphic Designer and I always tell people if you want the job printed correctly go to a real print shop. Avoid places like FedEx Kinkos. If it just a simple picture for a scrap book or to hang on your fridge then Kinkos is fine. Anything you want to present to others as a professional picture should be printed by professionals not 17 year old kids working at a photo stand at the local drugstore.
#9 - November 18, 2011, 01:48 PM

Members: