SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

DPI for ebook?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Hi all. I just dug a bunch of my old comics out of storage and started scanning them before the pages disintigrate...I was thinking it might be fun to self-publish them as an e-book (I've got about 250 pages worth of material.)

I was just wondering what DPI I should scan at for a project like this. I did some at 200 DPI, don't want to have to do all the work over.
#1 - September 29, 2011, 10:51 PM

Simon Haynes

300 dpi for printing, and I believe 72 dpi is usual for display screens (although many use higher resolutions - e.g. mine is set to 120dpi)

So, 200dpi should be fine for display use.
#2 - September 30, 2011, 03:13 AM

Poster Plus
300 dpi for printing, and I believe 72 dpi is usual for display screens (although many use higher resolutions - e.g. mine is set to 120dpi)

So, 200dpi should be fine for display use.

Thanks, that was what I thought. I may go higher just in case I ever want to print the scans.
#3 - September 30, 2011, 04:59 AM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
Yes 300 dpi or more for printed material. I would just scan them and make a multi page pdf and then covert it to epub format using epubbud.com. Epub concerting software does all of the file conversion stuff for you.
#4 - November 18, 2011, 01:38 PM

Poster Plus
Yes 300 dpi or more for printed material. I would just scan them and make a multi page pdf and then covert it to epub format using epubbud.com. Epub concerting software does all of the file conversion stuff for you.

Thanks. I did scan everything at 300, I will probably proceed as you suggest once everything is ready.
#5 - November 19, 2011, 05:46 PM

Members: