SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Paid Portfolio Site Reviews!!!!!!!

Discussion started on

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
I know we all wonder whether those pay portfolio sites like Picture-Book, The I-Spot or ChildrensIllustrators.com are worth it. I even saw a post about it below this one!!! The Illustration group OnceUponASketch is working to gather information regarding pay portfolio sites and their value in the Children's Market.

We will review each site one by one in the upcoming months. Review their cost, features, ease of use, customer care, customer satisfaction, etc. Right now we are in the process of gathering that information to present to the public. If you have used a site of this nature recently and would like to participate, please let us know by reply below. Thanks for your help!

http://onceuponasketch.com/2011/10/paid-portfolio-site-survey/
#1 - October 03, 2011, 11:16 PM

Rock of The Westies
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nevada
What a great idea Wilson! Thank you for your time to put this together. These sites have intrigued me and I may just invest. This will certainly help. :paint
#2 - October 04, 2011, 05:36 AM
Fur Balls & Feathers & Fins, Oh My! Animals Are My Kind of People
 www.cynthiakremsner.com

michellecandraw

I can't wait for the reviews! I've been considering HAI but i'm not sure.

Let me know when you post about it, and thanks Wilson!
#3 - April 24, 2012, 08:58 AM

Double W Illustrations
Member In Memoriam
Poster Plus
Hey Michelle!

I myself am on HAI. I haven't gotten any bites from it yet. But I know many illustrators who have. So if it's within your budget, give it a try! Luckily it's 7 dollars a week and you can quit whenever you want, but I would consider investing in it for at least a year! I'm also on Childrensillustrators.com. That site has definitely paid for itself more than once! (Again I say, for me.)  I Imagine most people's experiences will be different. I'll let you know when our polls are up!

Wilson W, Jr.
#4 - April 24, 2012, 02:08 PM

michellecandraw

Hey Wilson,

It seems to depend on your body of work, I guess the best way would be to just try it out and see how it goes. 7$/ month is pretty  inexpensive. Sometimes I wonder how many professional jobs vs. non-paying you get on a site like that (like o-desk or guru where it seems to be non-professional gigs paying peanuts, mostly). Good advice and I'll watch for your post!
#5 - April 27, 2012, 01:16 PM

Members: