SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

modern version of "The Little Engine That Could"?

Discussion started on

kathym44

Hi guys.  I teach a class of kindergarteners and am hearing alot of "I can't do it" lately.  I've used the story, "The Little Engine That Could" in the past to help with children who give up too easily, but am wondering if there is a more modern version of this story or another out there with a similar theme?  If not, then maybe I'll have to write one!  :typing  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!
#1 - January 19, 2012, 03:36 PM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
I think Loren Long did a version of "The Little Engine That Could" as a PB a few years ago. Hope you find something that fits!
#2 - January 19, 2012, 04:03 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

kathym44

Thanks Ani.  I did read that version to my students,  but it still feels somewhat old fashioned to me.   I'm sure there are other pb's out there that deal with the theme of perservering when the going gets tough and believing in oneself.  I just can't think of any off the top of my head.  I'll have to ask my local librarian. 
#3 - February 02, 2012, 04:21 PM

You probably know this one, but the book "Otis" has a message of perseverance, in the context of the importance of trusting others.
#4 - February 12, 2012, 05:24 PM

My pb, Liddil Gets Her Light, is about not giving up until you reach your goal. :0)
Liddil is a lightening bug who can't get her light to come on. Then she learns to take small steps and build on each success until she reaches her big goal.

I think I can... I think I can...

Woooo woooooo.

:0)
#5 - February 12, 2012, 08:43 PM

cyn2write

The first one that came to my mind was LITTLE QUACK.
#6 - February 13, 2012, 05:16 AM

Members: