SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Lift the flap books - can anyone help?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
I'm working on a flap book at the moment and there are a couple of niggling things that I've come across - just wondering if anyone has a website/book recommendation that covers the craft of flap books? I have spent a couple of hours on google/amazon but all I can find is of the home made variety...its really technical info about die-lines/file prep for printing that I'm looking for :)

Thanks,

Max x
#1 - January 24, 2012, 05:38 AM
Big Whoop! (Pow! Books) July 2014
Sorry, Dad! (Caterpillar Books) May 2014
Pi-Rat! (Caterpillar Books) Aug 2013

Simon_Turnbull

Well, novelty books come in all shapes and sizes, so they would have to be custom designed by the printer to the fit the publisher's needs. I don't think there is going to be any standard size. you could try looking up graphic design tuts for how to prep files for die cut printing, which is very popular amongst the GD crowd for business cards etc. That would let you know about any special file type that needs to be supplied. Other than that, just calculate trim size as normal?
#2 - January 25, 2012, 07:18 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sandiego
Maxi.... I can help. I've done plenty of flap books. You can email me at salinayoon (at) yahoo (dot) com.

#3 - January 25, 2012, 07:28 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks Simon - I'll do some digging on those tutorials as soon as I get a chance! :)

Salina, I'll email you in a sec! THANK YOU! x
#4 - January 25, 2012, 11:21 AM

Simon_Turnbull

just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean when you say 'flap book'? Is that a standard industry term for a particular format? I've got at least three different types of books here with flaps that are all completely different. Would you mind explaining a little more?
#5 - February 05, 2012, 03:28 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Hi Simon, I mean a 'lift the flap' book - that would mean any book that has flaps that you lift to see a different pic/pose underneath.

Have to say too that Salina is a STAR! x  :goldstar
#6 - February 05, 2012, 10:51 AM

Simon_Turnbull

Ok thanks.
#7 - February 09, 2012, 10:34 PM

Members: