SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

YES and KNOW magazines closing

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I just heard the sad news that these two wonderful science magazines are being discontinued.  What a disappointment for both kids and writers.   :faint
#1 - February 01, 2012, 09:07 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I had a great pleasure of working on one article for Know and both magazines were top notch. 
Thanks for letting us know Ev. I tell you, it's a tough business keeping a good quality magazine afloat.
Vijaya
#2 - February 01, 2012, 09:26 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

GailHennessey

I, too, wrote an article for both of these magazines. If this is correct, it is very sad that such fun and informative science magazines for kids will not be continuing. Kids just aren't reading these days...too bad, the magazines can't try an online subscription version before ceasing publication all together.
http://www.gailhennessey.com
#3 - February 02, 2012, 06:28 AM

Artist Obscure
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
This is really sad for me. I was thinking that this was the type of magazine that I'd get a subscription to when my son could appreciate this magazine. Yes, it would be nice for them to continue this publication if only in an online format. I think that the online subscription for magazines is part of the reason behind magazines like this closing down. I'm all for better ways of learning, but I can't really say that I think an online magazine can really give the same education that can be given with a paper magazine. Not that online magazines are bad - just given the choice I think I'd rather buy a paper magazine for my kid.
#4 - February 02, 2012, 09:56 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I hear you Dani. All our magazine subscriptions are for the printed ones. I prefer to minimize computer time for our kids. I love being able to pack a picnic lunch, some toys and magazines and my notebook and head outside.

Vijaya
#5 - February 03, 2012, 07:10 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Member.
Poster Plus
Where did you hear the news?
#6 - February 09, 2012, 07:29 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
Where did you hear the news?

The editor emailed me to tell me the news. It's unfortunately true.
#7 - February 09, 2012, 08:21 PM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

Members: