SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Irritating behaviors of kids ages 2-5

Discussion started on

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
 :paperbag OH. MY. GOSH. None of you described anything I ever did between those ages.  When we lived in NJ we lived in an apartment building that had basement apartments, as 3 and 4 YOs we never really understood that someone lived down there where the deep window wells were (we lived both on the second floor (three kids were too loud for first floor neighbors) and the first floor.  We thought the window wells were great places too do all sorts of things - peeing. dropping anything we didn't like just to see it drop.  When we had an apartment wide cookout they gave the adults hamburgers and the kids hot dogs - I never ate hot dogs, so my mom came over to see what I did with the hot dog, there were three or four of us kicking our heels against the inside of the window well and I opened my bun and pointed down.  I do believe her face turned red.

When we moved back to Indiana we lived in a house with a monstrous coal furnace and wonderfully big vents.  We dropped marbles from the second floor so you could hear them roll all the way down to the basement and loved to watch crayons melt.  We never figured out how our parents knew. (If we could hear and smell them, how could our parents?)

As to the Why question.  My mother gave the most creative answers in the world and soon had us out the door and playing again.  It wasn't until we were outside again that we would stop and wonder about her answer, but figured out that it was better not to go in and ask again.  
#31 - March 03, 2012, 12:45 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana

<Digression>I live in a household where cinema--not sports--is the Male Bonding Experience of choice, and I've been told that the trek over the Alps was dramatic license, like the fistfight in the lunar module in Apollo 13 and the Eliot Ness/Frank Nitti fight on top of the federal courthouse in Scarface: the von Trapps actually exited via train. I understand, but it still offends my inner journalist. If the story's fiction it's one thing, but these are real people...</Digression>

Loving this thread. It brings back many wonderful memories...!

While there are many parts of the movie I like, after I read the book, the movie is almost completely made up out of air from real facts, just not in the right time frame.  This is one of those cases where the songs are great, but the book is way better.
#32 - March 03, 2012, 12:50 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region houston
Nose picking while someone's saying how adorable they are.  Then staring at what they've got on their finger, only to wipe it on their clothing, or worse...  Sigh.
#33 - March 03, 2012, 12:51 PM
How Lamar's Bad Prank Won A Bubba-Sized Trophy (Balzar & Bray, 02-2011)
The Laura Line (Balzar & Bray, 04-2013)
http://www.crystalallenbooks.com

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Spitting their gum, candy, food out and handing it too you in strange places like you'll know what to do with it.
#34 - March 03, 2012, 12:56 PM

Asnodgrass

Wanting to sit on your lap while you are trying to do your "business"

Wanting you to watch them pee

Mimicking their little sister who says shirt without the r and fork with the or replaced by the letter u (of course totally innocent because they don't know what they are saying but there's the fear they think it's funny to say at their PreK or in Sunday school)

Saying "Do it" and taking forever to buckle their carseat or their high chair (I've decided whoever came up with the phrase Just do it had a toddler at the time.  :dr )

Going around and dumping all of the toys out of containers you just organized and moving on to dump more stuff

Taking all the laundry you just folded and tossing it around the floor

Throwing their food on the floor

When my little guy kickcs the back of the seat in the car, we take his shoes off as a consequence (It saves the back of seat from getting as beat up.)

It's been a blast reading everyone's list. I think peeing in the Uggs was one of my faves, along with the crayons, and the train station episode.
#35 - March 03, 2012, 01:08 PM

Asnodgrass

Just caught son trying to take off daughter's shoes because she was kicking  :dr
#36 - March 03, 2012, 01:30 PM

:lmao  This thread is the best!  We can only wonder at the fact that after all this (or maybe even because of all this?), we still want to write for the little rascals.
#37 - March 03, 2012, 01:50 PM

Pulling their pants down and talking with their butt... in sister's speech therapy.  :mooning Guess which parent they learned that from. *hint... it wasn't me*
#38 - March 03, 2012, 04:54 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
OK, here's another one. My son did this mostly around age 4. He would empty everything out of the containers into which we'd carefully stored his toys, and decide to use the containers for other things. This left huge messes all over the house. For example, he'd dump all the toys out of the storage bins and make a puppet show stage out of them. Or he would decide to keep his money in his Lego bin, and for that reason scatter Legos all over his room, with no place to put them. FRUSTRATING!
#39 - March 03, 2012, 05:53 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
EFC, my son does that. ARGH!!!

Another thing I've heard of is throwing shoes out the window. One little girl I met would toss her shoes out the window while they were driving because she didn't like them, didn't want them on, liked to watch them flip past down the highway?? It drove the mom CRAZY. She had to put her daughter in the car barefoot and then put her shoes and socks back on every time they stopped at a new store.

Another fun thing can be in stores. When I was that age, my mom liked to go to this bulk fabric store. Fabulous place--it was an old building in New Jersey, the kind that you imagine those industrial revolution sweatshops were in, with LOUD wooden floors. We'd run up and down, thrilling in the echo of our feet stomping on the floor, and then peer down the long cardboard tubes holding the fabric and SCREAM to each other. So fun!! Come to think of it, though, it might have contributed to my mom's eventual coronary issues...

Thinking of this fun event, I made a point to put my own kids in the cart where they couldn't pull the same tricks when I went into the craft store. Except one day, they both leaned the same direction to look at spools of thread, and managed to flip the whole cart over. (The cart being a little craft store one.) They were fine, just scared--with accompanying screaming, of course. The cashier I think was so worried I was going to sue that she picked one up and started praying--loudly--for their well-being. It was a long, long, LONG time before I dared show my face in that store again...

#40 - March 03, 2012, 06:35 PM

Asnodgrass

Rose - I laughed out loud after reading your craft store anecdote.  :dr
#41 - March 03, 2012, 07:16 PM

4-year-old from down the street (in a very self-righteous tone, upon noticing a small hole in our bedroom wall): "Ohhm ... did Paul make a hole in the wall with a butter knife?"

Me: "No. He used a screwdriver."
#42 - March 03, 2012, 07:56 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
My youngest daughter peeled the backing off a entire package of Kotex and plastered her bedroom wall right before my in-laws visited....I removed them at record speed while she wailed.  I predicted then that  she would  be an avant-garde artist someday. And, yes, she really is an artist constantly drawing and painting with a goal of a graphic design degree.   
#43 - March 04, 2012, 06:04 AM

BrendanP

I love waking up to such wonderful reading, my sides hurt from laughing so hard. :applause  Sitting beside my son while he poops on the toilet is great bonding time and turning over his dinner plate and squishing all the food on the table shows how much he appreciates my cooking. :dr
#44 - March 04, 2012, 07:22 AM

MaryWitzl

All of these comments are fantastic -- just what I need to read as our last kid decides which university she wants to attend.

This one:

Nose picking while someone's saying how adorable they are.  Then staring at what they've got on their finger, only to wipe it on their clothing, or worse...  Sigh.

Yes! Mine did that too!

How about kids who sleep walk on the way to the toilet, leaking every inch of the way? We slept on the floor and our oldest daughter would often stagger into our room and circle around and around -- after having been to every single room in our house. Nothing like scrubbing your entire house at 4 in the morning.  

Also:

1 biting the pediatrician's wall, really taking a chunk out of the plaster -- (seriously, she did it -- I have witnesses)

2 putting foodstuffs into the CD slot

3 finding racy black lace joke underwear (from my cousin) and wearing it on her head to answer the door when our friend (and former boss) came to visit

4 using sanitary napkin as neck brace when friends came over -- (glad to read scribblegirl's post!)

5 telling sister-in-law her stew 'tasted like cat food' -- which begs the question where she ate that

6 wearing my best shoes to take out the garbage after heavy rain

7 removing coat, mittens, socks, hat, etc., and throwing them away -- after which we'd get approached by little old ladies who asked her why her mommy was letting her freeze to death

8  asking kindly lady next door who'd given us fruit for MORE FRUIT every single time we saw her after that

9 pulling the hair of scary yakuza-type man in coffee shop, over the back of the booth

10 stealing ornaments from bathroom and giving them to friend, then blaming younger sister (who could not speak yet)

...and I could go on.  
#45 - March 04, 2012, 10:15 AM
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:17 AM by MaryWitzl »

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
teeheeheee! These are brilliant! I have a 4 year old (and a 12 year old) so I can totally relate!

Here's a few of mine:

- You're running late and your toddler decides (as you're pulling his trousers on) that he wants to take his top off because you 'put the wrong arm in first'. Then as you're getting his top back on, he's taking his socks off as they're on the wrong feet...

- Deciding that the bath isn't bubbly enough, empties the most expensive liquid he can find into the bath.

- Tantrum because you forgot that he'd changed his name to 'Indiana Jones'. Another tantrum because he changed it again to 'Puss in Boots'...

- Telling the ultra slim and sexy shop girl at Gap that 'I'm ten stone like my mum' in a really loud voice...

- Closing his eyes in sheer contempt when a kindly old lady tries to tell him he's a 'lovely child'...

- Drawing eggs all over my sketchbooks and roughs...

- Sneaking up behind me when I'm trying to listen to neighbours crossed words outside (on the sly) and shouting 'Mum, what are you doing? Why are you hiding?' really loud.

- Dropping coins in the Dyson (through those little slots in the top).

#46 - March 04, 2012, 12:51 PM
Big Whoop! (Pow! Books) July 2014
Sorry, Dad! (Caterpillar Books) May 2014
Pi-Rat! (Caterpillar Books) Aug 2013

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
How about putting shoes on the child who either arches their foot so you can't put it on or let's their foot go completely boneless and refuses to help you put it on.  This never happens when you are in a hurry. 

I do have to admit, I am one of those people who look at shoes on the highway and wonder how they got there. Children's shoes, I figure out easier than adult shoes, especially when you see only one.
#47 - March 04, 2012, 03:13 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I traded war stories with another parent this morning and he...

...discovered his toddler standing in the toilet.
#48 - March 04, 2012, 06:13 PM

I don't have kids, but a few stories from when my husband was that age:

Peeing in the fridge in the middle of the night (couldn't make it to the bathroom, apparently).

Took his plastic robot toy someone brought him from America (no one else had anything like it) and set it on fire on his brother's bed.

And one from work:

Drawing on computer monitors with pen/pencil/sharpie.

#49 - March 05, 2012, 05:41 AM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Last week my 3 yr. old told the pediatrician he had a big butt.

I was mortified. She has no filter.
#50 - March 05, 2012, 06:02 AM
THE DARING PRINCE DASHING, Sky Pony Press - available now!

CaroleB

I remember sitting in church when I was about 5, staring at a fly on the bald headed man in front of us. I smacked it. Missed the fly.  :shrug: Then I got smacked.  :mosquito

#51 - March 05, 2012, 06:20 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region germanyaustria
  • SCBWI PAL
Love this thread.

This weekend, my daughter ate an orange. Then, when no one was looking, she went outside, pushed aside the snow, dug up a bunch of dirt (mud, really) and filled up several drinking glasses with the dirt. She came back in, planted her orange seeds, and declared we would have plants soon.

(Why weren't we watching her? I was napping b/c I was sick, and my husband was on duty. Need I say more?)
#52 - March 05, 2012, 08:36 AM
THE FIRE WISH, Random House Children's, 2014
THE BLIND WISH, Random House Children's, 2015
www.amberlough.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I love all these stories!  Thanks for playing, everyone.

Jody
#53 - March 05, 2012, 10:27 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

I looooooved watching the same favorite DVDs over and over and over again.  And I looooooved when my son and daughter both had their favorite lovies that inevitably got lost or misplaced and they couldn't sleep without them, which launched a massive search of the house/yard/car before bedtime.  I also loved when they wandered out of bed and couldn't sleep and it was just easier to pull them into bed with you.  (Actually, I did love that. :)  Realistic drawings are great, too.  Like how my daughter was sure to include dark roots when she colored my blonde hair in her mother's day card.  Awesome. 
#54 - March 05, 2012, 10:39 AM
MG-SCHOOL OF CHARM
BACK ON THE MAP
Scholastic CB series:
ENCHANTED PONY ACADEMY
THE WISH FAIRY
MERMAIDS TO THE RESCUE '19
PB-GOODNIGHT LAGOON '19

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
This thread  :hairdude

My boys are now tween and teen, so they have different annoying habits.

As toddler's younger one had no fear and refused to talk. So one minute he would be playing fine in the park, and the next second he was gone. He'd find something interesting -- like a storm drain -- and go. You could not take your eyes off of him. (Older son was very verbal, so he told me "I'm going to jump out the window." and I had a chance to say no and take his hand.)

Older son would repeat any interesting word for a long time. We were at a zoo where the tortoises were climbing on top of each other. Granddaddy: what do you think they're doing? Husband: Um, Dad, they're copulating  Son: COP-U-LAT-ING, COP-U-LAT-ING, COP-U-LAT-ING ...(several hours of chanting, thankfully he stopped before he went back to nursery school the next day).

Thank you for posting.
amy
#55 - March 05, 2012, 01:20 PM
How Things Work (Publications International, 2006)
Bugs & Bugsicles: Insects in the Winter (Boyds Mill Press, 2010)
Touch the Earth (NASA, 2009)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Teaching your younger sibling how to climb out of the crib.

And at five, my kids all started making up their own jokes. They were endless and, of course, not funny at all, but we had to sit there and listen and laugh or they were terribly hurt.
#56 - March 05, 2012, 01:52 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
In the worst annoying voice possible:

"Mommy, I'm HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mommy, I'm HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mommy, I'm HUNGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:gaah

#57 - March 05, 2012, 01:55 PM

I remember sitting in church when I was about 5, staring at a fly on the bald headed man in front of us. I smacked it. Missed the fly. 

This one made me laugh out loud!  :)
#58 - March 05, 2012, 02:17 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Another one:

Just today, my daughter (just turned 3) smeared blueberry yogurt all over the kitchen counter where she was eating. I come rushing in from the dining room to grab a paper towel to clean up the mess before it gets worse. As I'm racing across the kitchen with the towel, she rubs her hand in the yogurt, then wipes it on her shirt.

I strip her down and send her to her room. ("Why did you take my clothes off?")

Two minutes later "Mom, I have to pee." I tell her to go ahead, but a minute later I get suspicious and rush up the stairs. She's in the bathroom, trying to pee standing up.

Lucky for her it was a nice day out today and I was in a good mood...

Carrie
#59 - March 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
www.carriefinison.com
DOZENS OF DOUGHNUTS - Putnam (coming in 2020)

Ah, I have so much to look forward to!

My 1 1/2 year old climbs up on the furniture, falls, cries, then climbs back up.

Outside he bolts straight for the street. Wherever he is, he has an uncanny sense of where the street is and runs for it.

Refusing to eat until you give up, then crying for food.

Fighting & kicking when being sat down in a stroller, car seat, or high chair.

Obsessing on anything with buttons.

Crying if he can't have whatever it is he sees and wants.

(FTR, just answering the question -- lots more joy than frustration. Love that boy.)
#60 - March 19, 2012, 07:20 PM

Members: