SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Irritating behaviors of kids ages 2-5

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Kurtis, I know what you mean about loving your child despite the annoying behaviors.  We probably all feel a little self-conscious revealing our irritation with the people we love most in the entire world.  But it's nice to know we're not alone, eh?  I appreciate your help with my research!
#61 - March 20, 2012, 04:56 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
If it makes people feel any better, my kids who are not those ages anymore LOVE to hear stories about when they did irritating or nonsensical things when they were small. "Tell us again about when X broke all his crayons and then wanted you to glue them back together...or when he spilled his milk and tried to sip it off the floor because he wanted that milk and ONLY that milk."  Etc.

Some day, it can be funny for all involved, even if it isn't now...
#62 - March 20, 2012, 06:54 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
When my younger brother was age 2 and we were at an aunt and uncle's lake cottage.  He had this uncanny knack for knowing when my parents weren't looking and would take off running down the pier and jump of the end. My mother would take off running after him yelling his entire name and he laughed all the way.  I have a faint memory of him doing this, what I do not remember is that their were teenagers on the end of the pier who pulled him out of the water.  He thought it was a blast and I think the teenagers thought it was pretty funny at the time.  He was very chubby at the time and had this gold "speedo like" swimsuit on. 

I might add he never lost this tendency to run off the end of piers at full speed.  When he was 8 he still did it without great swimming skills and I was the one who would drag his sorry skin back to shallow water.   
#63 - March 20, 2012, 02:54 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

cyn2write

Worse than saying NO constantly, my 2yo alternates NO with YES, causing you to do a little back-and-forth dance between taking something out and putting it away. She also has to go to potty immediately after being put in bed, no matter when she went the last time, even if it was 2 second before. When she goes, she sits there forever, leans back and crosses her legs at the ankle, like she's at a spa.

She also constantly brings up traumatic events of her life, with great emotion, as if they just happened.  "I threw up!"  Me, looking around: "Where?"  Her: "In church."  Me: "But that was three months ago."

My 5yo often attempts to bite her toenails. She also can not hear you telling her to clean her room when you're standing 2 inches from her, waving things in her face, yet she can hear the word "dessert" clear across the neighborhood.

She is also very good at telling stories about her day at school that create more questions than they answer. Her:  "I wanted to do it but I was unconscious."  Me: "WHAT!"  A few minutes pass.  "Oh, do you mean self-conscious?"

#64 - March 21, 2012, 05:00 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
She also can not hear you telling her to clean her room when you're standing 2 inches from her, waving things in her face, yet she can hear the word "dessert" clear across the neighborhood.

All my kids do this (10, 9, almost 7, almost 6). Instead of calling for them, I call out CHOCOLATE! ICE CREAM! COOKIES!  Works every time.  :)
#65 - March 21, 2012, 05:12 AM

Older son would repeat any interesting word for a long time. We were at a zoo where the tortoises were climbing on top of each other. Granddaddy: what do you think they're doing? Husband: Um, Dad, they're copulating  Son: COP-U-LAT-ING, COP-U-LAT-ING, COP-U-LAT-ING ...(several hours of chanting, thankfully he stopped before he went back to nursery school the next day).

:dr It's hard when they do something funny but inappropriate so you can't laugh because you know it will only encourage them.

Pons -- My three-year-old also tells endless, unfunny jokes. I find their unfunniness amusing, though. When my now six-year-old was younger, she went through a phase where every joke went something like this, "How did the truck open the door? With its wheels!! Get it?" Absolutely every joke involved some sort of vehicle opening something with its wheels.
#66 - March 21, 2012, 07:22 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
My children's jokes were never this endearingly short. They went on and on with lots of stops and restarts. After a while, they lost their appeal - the jokes, not the children.  :)
#67 - March 22, 2012, 12:31 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana

She is also very good at telling stories about her day at school that create more questions than they answer. Her:  "I wanted to do it but I was unconscious."  Me: "WHAT!"  A few minutes pass.  "Oh, do you mean self-conscious?"

This made my day! LOL
#68 - March 23, 2012, 04:04 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
How about lying on the floor and wailing that they're "stuck" and they "can't get up"--and not being distracted from that self-made tantrum for anything?

Or insisting that they are freeeeeeeeeezing because they've put their pajamas in the laundry and haven't gotten dressed yet. And they're standing right next to their clothes drawers and insisting it's impossible to reach out, pick up clothes, and put them on? And it's ALL YOUR FAULT.

Not that this has EVER happened at my house. No, that toddler wailing sound you're hearing right now MUST be a hallucination on your part...
#69 - March 27, 2012, 07:17 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
 :dr, olmue!  This too shall pass.   :taz:
#70 - March 27, 2012, 07:45 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Member.
Poster Plus
Oh, Olmue . . . We are right there with you. An unnamed toddler just spent the first half of a lovely walk screaming that she wanted to go home "RIGHT NOW!" She spent the second half screaming that she DIDN'T WANT TO GO HOME. EVER!

*Sigh*

Here's what I will be doing as soon as she is distracted. :chocolate:

#71 - March 27, 2012, 07:51 AM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I knew of a kindergartner that had to wear the same shirt to school every day.  Which meat mom had to sneak into his room when he was asleep and wash it every night.  He did not agree to the washing.  Nope, it was okay to wear it dirty.  Didn't want anyone to touch this shirt except for him.

I do not remember how long this went on, but there was great celebrating when said child decided he could wear different shirts to school.
#72 - March 27, 2012, 01:58 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
So sorry, RaeE! Hopefully she didn't insist on bringing her tricycle and making you carry it home for her, too. That seems to be how those walks work.

Liz, I think I have that kid. We had to buy identical "ladybug" shirts (black and red with bold stripes) for let's see...five years?
#73 - March 27, 2012, 03:02 PM

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana

Liz, I think I have that kid. We had to buy identical "ladybug" shirts (black and red with bold stripes) for let's see...five years?

I figured there had to be more than one of these kids out there.  LOL
#74 - March 28, 2012, 02:26 PM

Members: