SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

cover letter with tear sheet?

Discussion started on

Penn Bender

I'm sending out a few tear sheets this week.  I've always done post cards before, so I'm wondering if I need to include some sort of letter in the envelop with my illustrations.  What do you think?
#1 - March 08, 2012, 07:09 AM

Illustrator / Artist
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
AD's are varied in want they want to see. Some only want email, some only postcards- no envelopes to open, some like multiple pieces to view at once and information about you. My opinion is if you are sending out tears it wouldn't hurt and might help to have some positive written information to further your promotion. Just be sure that extra sheet of paper doesn't take you up to the next ounce!
#2 - March 10, 2012, 06:40 AM

Penn Bender

Thanks, Steve.
#3 - March 10, 2012, 10:50 AM

Chris Jones

I agree, I would include a cover letter if you are sending tearsheets. I usually send: two or three 8.5"x11" tearsheets with assorted samples of my work, a letter, a few of my different promo postcards, and a business card.
#4 - March 13, 2012, 07:07 PM

Penn Bender

So you put together a whole packet? And then how often would you send something like that out. I was  hoping to be on the ball enough this year to send out a monthly wave of post cards.
#5 - March 27, 2012, 02:34 PM

Chris Jones

For the whole package, I only send that to someone I haven't contacted before (ie: a new Art Director at a publisher on my list, or a new publisher I haven't contacted before). Sort of a way of introducing myself. After that, I usually send just a postcard every 4 months or so to keep me in their minds.
#6 - April 02, 2012, 12:15 PM

Members: