SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Help with Research on Wishing You Had a Sister

Discussion started on

Prob a case of always wanting what you never had and how it looks so great from the outside. If I had a sister, she'd prob drive me nuts, sort of like my (very different) daughters do at times.
 :)
#31 - March 16, 2012, 08:53 AM
CITY STREET BEAT (2014)
LOOK WHAT I CAN DO! (2013)
STORM SONG (2013)
SAMANTHA HANSEN HAS ROCKS IN HER HEAD (2008)

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
It would have been nice to have a sister to back me up when I tried to tell my dad pants were in style and I didn't need to wear dresses everywhere.  However if I had gotten a girly-girl sister it would have been WWIII, IV and V in our house.  I preferred sitting on the courthouse wall while waiting for buses or going to the mall when we finally got one with my best friend and playing Glamour does and don'ts even if we were sitting there being big don'ts ourselves.   :nanana:
#32 - March 19, 2012, 03:50 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
By the way--that was in no way meant as a slam on you guys. I just suddenly realized how very ungirly I was (or am)!
No worries, Jaina. I've never been a huge girly-girl, either. I had my moments, but I think the real reason I wanted a sister to share those things with was because I had to practice at doing hair/makeup/nails/whatever and wasn't sure of myself, so a sister might help me out with the process and judge me for my awkwardness. (that's probably exactly the opposite of what would have really happened!) I was more of a geek than tomboy, though.

I had a fairly balanced childhood. I played with my brother's Tonka trucks and sometimes my little brother played with my dolls. We all turned out just fine. ;)
#33 - March 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
www.andreabrame.com  |  Twitter: http://twitter.com/Andrea_Brame  |  Instagram: @andreabrame

Poster Plus
I'm late to this post, but I wanted to chime in! I was an only child. I have an older half-brother but we weren't raised together. When I was very young, I really wished I had a sister, preferably a twin, lol, so we'd be the same age, to play with and hang out with during the times I couldn't be with friends, like evenings, or rainy days when everyone stayed inside. Most of my friends had siblings and I was always jealous that they had someone built in to play with and talk to during the times I was alone playing in my room.

As I got older I was pretty shy, and it would've been nice to have a sister who was less so, who would, in my fantasies have lots of cool friends who would also be my friends because we were sisters. That sort of thing. I was also one of those girls who was clueless about hair and makeup and would've loved to have someone to help me with that.
#34 - March 29, 2012, 09:37 AM
DEFY THE DARK - HarperTeen June 2013
http://valeriekwrites.blogspot.com

No worries, Jaina. I've never been a huge girly-girl, either. I had my moments, but I think the real reason I wanted a sister to share those things with was because I had to practice at doing hair/makeup/nails/whatever and wasn't sure of myself, so a sister might help me out with the process and judge me for my awkwardness. (that's probably exactly the opposite of what would have really happened!) I was more of a geek than tomboy, though.

:yup I had a sister just one year younger than I was and this never happened! Too much competition. ;) It's nice as adult to have someone to talk about my mom and dad with and childhood and all that - but as kids we loved each other, but we didn't *help* each other - at least not like that!
#35 - March 29, 2012, 09:10 PM
Robin

Hi. I clicked on this by mistake but just thought I'd that I'm in the 'only child' club. It usually fits into two categories: you love it or you hate it. As a child, it was all I ever I wanted. But some of my friends seemed almost envious...I suppose because they think you get everything you want. My dad was strict and it didn't happen. I worked with two families and noticed that girls always were in competition with each other, as were the boys...but a bit more light-hearted.
#36 - March 30, 2012, 06:25 AM

Members: