SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

nickname Trot

Discussion started on

CaroleB

Am looking for a name that suits the nickname, Trot.
Thinking of using Trotwood.

Any other suggestions?
#1 - March 14, 2012, 08:35 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Possible reasons for a nickname Trot:

Last name is a synonym: Rush, Dash, Hasten
He runs everywhere.
He walks in a sort of jerky up-and-down way.
He owns a horse.
He is so slow, people are constantly telling him to hurry up.
His teacher told him to "Trot on up here.." and the name just stuck.

You can get pretty creative with reasons for nicknames. Our last name is Strong and my son's friends called him Hefty.
#2 - March 14, 2012, 09:20 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
What age? The thing that comes to mind most immediately -- and why a character might NOT want that nickname -- is the connection to trots plural, as in "having the,"  and the associated bodily, uh, function. And that's probably what most kids (or at least boys) over about 8 or 9 are going to think, too...
#3 - March 14, 2012, 10:03 AM
The Farwalker Trilogy
The Humming of Numbers
Reality Leak

www.jonisensel.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
and why a character might NOT want that nickname -- is the connection to trots plural, as in "having the,"  and the associated bodily, uh, function.

I thought of this, too, and agree that young boys are going to pick up on it right away. If you don't want this association a different nickname might be better.
#4 - March 14, 2012, 11:32 AM

AdamV

Trot Nixon's real name is Christopher Trotman Nixon. (He's a pro baseball player.)
#5 - March 14, 2012, 11:38 AM

I have never heard of the word "trot" use to describe a bodily function! Maybe it's regional?
Trot seems to be a given name all by itself. I think it *could* be a nn for Troy - maybe someone couldn't say their y's? I think Trot Nixon's real name was Christopher Trotman Nixon. Or it could be a take off from a last name. But I think it can stand alone if you want it to.
#6 - March 14, 2012, 11:39 AM
Robin

CaroleB

Huh, Trotman. I sorta like that. Thanks, Adam.

Joni, yes I thought about the "trots", but truthfully I wasn't sure if kids today used that term or if it was dated. Am thinking of making reference at some point if I go with the nickname and I'm leaning that way. The character is 20-30 something.

Pons, yes the MC's family members like to run. They run from the law, run out of money, run from each other, and okay, maybe one of them will have the "runs"; I don't know about that yet.

Am still very much at the brainstorming stage.

Trotman, Trotman, Trotman, I really like that.

Pons, my son's nickname in middle school was Clash. He wore clothes that didn't match. Hah!
My husband's nick in high school was Bling. Our last name is Brooks. They called him Babbling Brooks and Bling for short. Have no clue what that was about! Hah!
#7 - March 14, 2012, 12:06 PM

CaroleB

Cross posted with you Robin! Well, I suppose you get it now, eh? (trots = runs = diarrhea)

I like Trotman.

Carole  :grin
#8 - March 14, 2012, 12:09 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Carole, what a great nickname - Clash. I love it.
#9 - March 14, 2012, 04:46 PM

Poster Plus
I just wanted to add that some readers will think of DAVID COPPERFIELD. When David goes to live with Aunt Betsy Trotwood, she rechristens him "Trotwood," "Trot" for short. (Donkeys, Janet!)
#10 - March 14, 2012, 05:55 PM

CaroleB

Yes, I saw that when I googled Trotwood, rab, but I didn't recall the name. Shame on me. My dogs name is Dickens. (After Charles, of course, so one would think I would know these things, but nope.)

Pons, a thread on nicknames could be fun. Perhaps there already is one.
If I had been born a boy my mom was going to call me Robin. My nick might have been Birdbrain.  :reaction

Carole :flower
#11 - March 15, 2012, 06:24 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
Trotmeir? Trotwood? Does it need to be a direct link to the name?  I was nicknamed 'Grace" because I had a propensity for stubbing my toes and tripping as a kid.  It didn't hurt my feelings....everyone in my family has an unusual nickname or two....my other moniker is 'Poochie'....short for Pooch-a-nani-mus-stinky-pole-kitty.  My oldest and dearest brother awarded that to me.... :snork
#12 - March 15, 2012, 12:11 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Okay, the first thing that came to my mind was Leon Trotsky...
#13 - March 15, 2012, 12:29 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Last name of Trotter, maybe, and they call him Trot for short?

But that makes me think of My Cousin Vinny.

And honestly, the first thing I thought of when I saw the subject line was "the trots" bodily function too!
#14 - March 27, 2012, 09:33 AM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

Members: