SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Vancouver in 1986 help

Discussion started on

Chronic
Poster Plus
I'm wondering if there are any longterm Vancouver residents around who could fill me in on some info about the city in 1986. I was there for Expo in that year (and have been back several times in more recent years) but my memories of the city back then are pretty foggy at this point. I'm looking for some general info about Vancouver, but also, specifically, where in the city were the biggest concentration of bars and restaurants that young people would have hung out in? And if young people (not students) were moving to Vancouver from elsewhere and wanted to be centrally located but have affordable living, which areas of the city might they have moved to and roughly how much would the rent have been? What was the minimum wage in B.C. back then? I know the Skytrain started in 1986 but how much of the line existed back then and how much did it cost to ride it? Were the stations always unmanned the way they are now and the tickets purchased through machines like they are currently? Which of the current Vancouver attractions were around back then and which ones have disappeared? I've ordered a Vancouver guidebook from 1986, which I'm waiting for, but I would love to hear from anyone with firsthand knowledge of the area at that time. You can PM me, email me at ckkellymartin@hotmail.com or post here. Thank you! :moose
#1 - March 17, 2012, 08:22 AM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
I was ten in 1986 and didn't (yet) live in Vancouver, but I can answer a couple of your questions:

The Skytrain had only one line at that time--the Expo line--only it wasn't called that then. It was just called the Skytrain. I can't recall how much it cost, but I recall travelling the line in 1988 with my family and plunking Loonies into the ticket machine. The stations have always been unmanned and ungated (although that's finally changing) and the tickets were purchased from the machines right on the platform or in the Skytrain stations. Also, the Skytrains themselves are unmanned which, as I recall, was pretty cutting edge back then.

As for attractions: Stanley Park, the Capilano suspension bridge, Vancouver Aquarium, Gastown, Chinatown, and the Lions' Gate Bridge were all definitely there. Can't recall if Science World was built for Expo or if it existed before. At any rate, I'm pretty sure it was there by 1986 too.

Hope that helps!

Rue
#2 - March 23, 2012, 06:14 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

I went to high school in Vancouver and lived there until 1982, but have been back and forth from Vancouver island ever since. The hot spot has always been the city's West End, bordering Stanley Park...the core between Robson and Davie Street, and Denman and Burrard in the other direction. The West end is home to Granville Market, and Gastown,which was (and still is) a big hit with the twenty-somethings.  Across the burrard st. bridge, liked Kitsilano. Back in the 70's, it was "peace, love and granola-ville", but is now very expensive, having been totally yuppified. Still, 4th avenue all the way out to UBC university, was, and still is a fave with the younger crowd. A mecca of greek, mexican, and vegan cafes and restaurants, plenty of pubs and bars, many outdoor stores, health food stores, funky boutiques etc.
Stanley Park, back in the west end is a centre for activity as well. The seawall that borders the park is known for being a top notch jogging/cycling, and roller blading loop, and the zoo in the middle of the park and the myriad of hiking trails and picnicking areas are plenty.  The Vancouver aquarium is also located in Stanley Park.
I hope this helps!!
#3 - March 23, 2012, 07:16 PM
HANNAH & THE SPINDLE WHORL  (Ronsdale, 2010)
HANNAH & THE SALISH SEA (Ronsdale, 2013)
http://carolanneshaw.com

P.S.  My first apartment cost me $140 a month (in 1978) right next to Stanley Park!! The same apt. today would rent for about $1400!  Hard to believe. I'm not sure what the rents would have been like in 1986, but most young people would share places in Kitsilano or down Commercial Drive area (very ethnic and funky happening place. It's still like that there. Great hot spot for the Vancouver music/art scene)

#4 - March 23, 2012, 07:18 PM

Chronic
Poster Plus
Thank you so much, Rue and Carol Anne! The information helps alot. Would either of you mind if I message you if I happen to have more questions?
#5 - March 24, 2012, 07:09 AM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

Not at all. Message away. I'm happy to help!
#6 - March 24, 2012, 11:33 AM

Chronic
Poster Plus
Thank you, Carol Anne! That's great to know. I appreciate it  :moose
#7 - March 24, 2012, 05:12 PM

Members: