SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Doctors and Residencies?

Discussion started on

Does anyone know if you can transfer residencies, or if you are stuck at the same residency program for the entire residency?

Basically, I need to know if a med student in residency could up and move across the country on short notice, say within 3 or so months.  Is it possible?  Or how quickly could a med student change his/her mind about a chosen residency and be accepted into a different one instead?

And if all the above is impossible, is there another well-to-do profession that would give an adult both the opportunity to change jobs quickly and an excuse to either work or be at the hospital a lot?  The adult in my WIP is rather wealthy--so no lowly janitors or truck drivers or anything--and also fairly young (around 30).

Thanks for any help you can shed on this!

#1 - March 21, 2012, 09:32 PM

doctors don't make huge bucks during residency, usually between $35k and $55k per year (definitely not six figures). but some doctors (depending on specialty) are done with residency by the time they hit their early thirties, so perhaps your doctor has recently started practicing? in which case he or she could move across the country on short notice, hang up their shingle or join an established group of doctors. that said, it might take a while for them to build their practice enough to start making a lot of money. how wealthy do you need your doctor to be?
#2 - March 21, 2012, 09:44 PM

What about a consultant? I worked for Accenture for a while. Those guys up and move on a dime and at the higher levels make quite a bit of money and we certainly did projects at hospitals.
#3 - March 21, 2012, 10:07 PM
Robin

how wealthy do you need your doctor to be?

I'm not too worried about what he makes...his wife came with a huge trust fund. ;)  Mostly I need him to be at the hospital, but I want him to have a job and not have him living off his wife's wealth.  But I need that job to be flexible for a quick move.

Thanks for the suggestions already, though!
#4 - March 21, 2012, 10:14 PM

Poster Plus
I don't know if you could call it "well-to-do," but being an audiologist requires a doctoral degree -- an AuD ... but there aren't all the residency requirements of an M.D. It does require a one year internship, at least. My husband has an intern with him now. Twenty years ago, you only needed a Masters degree to be an audiologist.

Audiologists are found in hospital settings ... especially those with doctor's offices attached. V.A. hospitals are the largest employers of audiologists. They are also commonly found as part of an ENT office. Things have changed ... but generally speaking they don't do surgery .. although they might be involved with monitoring during surgery on in doing things like cochlear implants.

What about physical therapists or other medical personnel?
#5 - March 22, 2012, 03:17 AM
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:35 AM by Lill »
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I am a physician so I've been through this. If a resident needs to move for various reasons, he or she could do that, but it would depend on the availability of slots in the city/town hospital to which they're moving. A more coveted hospital with elite credentials might not be available for them, but many hospitals consider residents "cheap labor" for the services they provide so they would welcome someone to their hospital- if there's a need in that area. It would depend on their specialty as well- an internal medicine resident would be more likely to find a spot than a dermatologist.

You are not, however, a "med student in residency". You only become a resident after you graduate med school. Four years of med school and then you graduate and move on to a  year of internship and then 2-4 years of residency in your specialty. Medical students have a lot less freedom to move and transfer than residents do, so that would be harder. I hope I'm not getting convoluted here. But I'd be happy to answer any more questions you have, either here or off the board. (elisa.itw@gmail.com)

Lisa
#6 - March 22, 2012, 07:05 AM
Lisa
@elisaitw

Thanks, Lisa.  You've helped immensely!  I may contact you if I have any other questions, though, but I think I can make this work.  So YAY!

(And, yeah, I realized I made it sound like a resident was a med-student.  What I meant was a resident or a med-student heading into a residency.  Late night brain fart, I suppose.  I wasn't awake enough to be articulate.)
#7 - March 22, 2012, 07:10 AM

Members: