SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

what is a PD folio?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Hello,

I have been asked to make a PD folio (only by viewing a sample did I even know what it was)..
What is the best software to use (eg Photoshop, illustrator, adobe or something else)?

I am adept at making clean simple single files but this is the first time I have had to do something like this.

Any and all help appreciated.

Luisa
#1 - April 14, 2012, 03:24 AM
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:55 AM by Luisa »

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
What's a PD folio and who asked you to make it?

Wish I could help, but I've never heard that term before.
#2 - April 14, 2012, 08:47 AM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (now available as an ebook!)

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
oh glad it`s not just me! I thought I was really out of the loop.
Seems like it is a lot of samples of your artwork on one page (ie one file) ..a bit like
what you get here with all the emoticons and images when you are typing a reply to posts.

A publisher asked me to send my work that way (to save time opening each file?)..for perusal.
I`m still sending portfolios so I guess a busy person would find it easier to view the artists work all in on sweep (guessing here)..

#3 - April 15, 2012, 04:55 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
Like a PDF file with multiple images you mean?
#4 - April 15, 2012, 05:22 AM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
  • SCBWI PAL
I'm guessing they mean a PDF file? An easy way is to create a new Photoshop file (8.5 x 11 is a good size so they can print it out if they want), drop in a few images, resize them as needed, and save it as a PDF.

Hope that helps!
#5 - April 15, 2012, 06:19 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
I have never heard the term before and I'm no spring chicken.

It sounds like what, in the advertising world, would be called a tear sheet. An 8 1/2 X 11 one-sided page with a number of art samples on it.

I typically set them up in Adobe Illustrator so I can include contact information and names on each image for identification. I then save as either a web ready jpg or a small file pdf - whichever the client prefers. I do my best to keep the final file size under 1MG so it can fly through email channels easily.

Good luck!
#6 - April 15, 2012, 07:24 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Artist Obscure
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
If you are making a PDF it's best to use Illustrator or even better InDesign (or similar layout program). The images you'd use would be from Photoshop, but you'd want the vector capabilities of Illustrator or Indesign if you use text (so the text isn't fuzzy). You'll also end up with a smaller file overall if you use Illustrator/Indesign over Photoshop. If you are just using photos then you can use Photoshop, however Illustrator and Indesign are so much easier to use for this function.
#7 - April 15, 2012, 11:02 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
thanks everyone!! yeah I have been using photoshop mainly, resizing and saving as PDF`s but saving all as single files.
I`m not using text Dani Duck but will keep it in mind when I do, thanks.

Thanks again for your help :)
#8 - April 15, 2012, 07:28 PM

Members: