SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

HS Dress Code?

Discussion started on

jeffman

My local high school has a dress code that says skirts should be "modest" and fall close to the knee.

I live in a very conservative part of the world, and I'm curious to know what kind of rules other high schools in the US have concerning skirt length.
#1 - April 19, 2012, 06:48 AM
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:31 AM by Jeff Carney »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Our middle school rule is that it has to be longer than the fingertips when arms are hanging straight down. 

My older daughter's boarding school says 4 inches above the knee is as short as they can go; the girls roll their waistbands to make them shorter until they get caught, at which point they roll them down, and then when out of sight of the teacher, roll them up again.  It's kind of silly.
#2 - April 19, 2012, 07:15 AM
VAMPIRINA IN THE SNOW (Disney-Hyperion, 2018)
BUSY-EYED DAY (Beach Lane Books, 2018)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

I've seen 3 inches above the knee as well as the fingertip rule Anne Marie mentioned.
#3 - April 19, 2012, 07:41 AM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

The girls at my kid's school have to wear "modesty shorts" under the skirts/jumpers, so they are less particular about the length of the skirt, as long as it covers the shorts. (Which are like little navy bicycle shorts.)
#4 - April 19, 2012, 09:18 AM
SWAY, 2012 from Disney-Hyperion
CIRCA NOW, 2014 from Disney-Hyperion
http://www.ambermcreeturner.com
https://www.facebook.com/SwayByAmberMcReeTurner

write4me

My sisters daughter got sent home from high school by a teacher because her shorts were too short. She was MORTIFIED.
#5 - April 19, 2012, 09:30 AM

Hands by their sides, shorts and skirts must be as long as the longest fingertip. No tank tops or spaghetti straps. No hats or hoods.
#6 - April 19, 2012, 09:34 AM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Our high school's policy is at or below fingertip level when hands are held strait down at the sides. They also have a no tank top, spaghetti strap, strapless, or see through shirts--not even when worn over a short sleeved shirt--and no mid-drift baring either.

That being said, I've seen many a dress code violation on the campus so it's not always enforced. *sigh*
#7 - April 19, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joan
@justJoanS

The HS code in Charlotte is no holy jeans, no excessively baggy pants on boys, shorts and skirts below fingertips, no tank tops or spaghetti straps and NO CLEAVAGE!

Hope this helps.
#8 - April 19, 2012, 01:45 PM

Fingertip rule in our school, but no one wears a skirt unless it's a mini-skirt anyway, and they get away with it. Oddly enough, the kids wear more maxi skirts/dresses these days, and it's the shorts that are getting shorter and shorter.
#9 - April 19, 2012, 02:32 PM
CITY STREET BEAT (2014)
LOOK WHAT I CAN DO! (2013)
STORM SONG (2013)
SAMANTHA HANSEN HAS ROCKS IN HER HEAD (2008)

At my sons' high school, they also have boys rules about no sagging pants. The girls rules are what have been noted as to skirt length, spaghetti straps, no bare midriff. Some schools have rules about clothing that is "distracting"--often covers some t-shirt slogans, and costumes/outrageous clothing that don't occur on specialized spirit days. The boys said the girls clothing rules are not very enforced but the no sagging rule is hard and fast.
#10 - April 19, 2012, 02:43 PM

jeffman

Thank you all so much! It's times like these when I really appreciate the board.

It's also just sociologically interesting how much consistency there is around this nation of ours.

I'm personally quite libertarian when it comes to such matters. Free speech. Free love.

But when it comes to those baggy gangsta jeans -- well, they're just not safe, for one thing. What if a pack of wild armadillos started chasing you? There'd be nothing left over but rivets.
#11 - April 19, 2012, 04:50 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
No belly buttons. No butt cheeks.

You'd think that would be clear enough, but it's NOT!
#12 - April 20, 2012, 06:54 AM
http://twitter.com/EnaJones
http://www.EnaJones.com

CLAYTON STONE, AT YOUR SERVICE
Holiday House, 2015
CLAYTON STONE, FACING OFF
Holiday House, 2016

Z-cat

I concur with the "fingertip rule" - which sounds terrible. It too only really applied to shorts, because when we wore skirts, it was always of some peasant/hippie/sundress variety. I did get busted for wearing shorts that were "questionable", but I pretty much wore those every day, and it was only noted once.
Also, no hats. This was like 14 years ago, though. We had a dress code, but it was not enforced unless you were already in the doghouse. Lots of warnings, no actual sendings home.
At the middle school level, a few years ago, they started a policy that all shirts must have sleeves, and collars could be no lower than the collar bone. And they were super, obnoxiously strict about it. When they start a new policy, there always seems to be a crackdown, and then by winter break, no one cares anymore.
#13 - April 20, 2012, 07:35 AM

Artist Obscure
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
We had similar rules as other people are mentioning above at my HS. We also weren't allowed to have our shoulder's showing. Shoulder's were too sexy and could distract other student's from doing their work. I don't know if they had a rule about tight fitting clothing, though.
#14 - April 20, 2012, 08:21 AM

Threads like this make me so happy for my kids uniforms! No thinking - just throw on the plaid jumper.
They do have a rule that skirts have to hit the knees. It's a hard rule as a mom because the kids grow and it's always a question of when exactly to let out the jumper so they don't get in trouble but don't look like they got swallowed by a plaid monster.
#15 - April 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
Robin

CaroleB

Indianapolis Public Schools states "no higher than 2'' above the knees".
#16 - April 20, 2012, 09:18 AM

Poster Plus
Flour Bluff IDS says shorts/skirts must be no shorter than the width of a dollar bill above the knee. Also states that you must have contrasting colors ... no all black, all blue, all red etc. 
#17 - April 20, 2012, 11:05 AM
Making metaphors out of molehills for over thirty years.

Books for Young Readers of All Ages :)
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
At the private (K-12) school in Hawaii (yes, THAT school) where I taught and our daughters went, kids could wear only "non-distracting clothing" that would not compromise the (actually, it was quite rigorous -- I know, you're thinking 'Hawaii'??)academic atmosphere.  Because they could be tossed for continued infractions, adherence was -- and continues to be -- excellent.  My favorite part was that kids in grades K-8 didn't have to wear shoes, except on field trips, but in grades 9-12, they did.  Of course, when we're talking "shoes," we're talking usually "rubbah slippahs" -- known as flip-flops on the Mainland.   :)  Note:  when you don't wear shoes often, you grow up with "luau feet," which convinced our little daughters to wear shoes anyway.  :)
#18 - April 20, 2012, 02:02 PM
CALVIN'S LAST WORD, Tilbury House 2021
LITTLE CALABASH, Island Heritage 2020
SECRETS IN TRANSLATION, Fitzroy, 2018
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

I'm dying to know what luau feet are.
And it's curious to me that there's a strict dress code somewhere that does *not* include shoes of any kind. ;)
#19 - April 20, 2012, 02:33 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
I'm dying to know what luau feet are.
And it's curious to me that there's a strict dress code somewhere that does *not* include shoes of any kind. ;)

Luau feet are feet that "spread" because they're not in shoes all the time!
Re: no shoes required in lower grades -- I was shocked, as well.  Hawaii is just different; what can I say?   :palmtree :)  Our daughters had a bit of a learning curve when we moved to the Mainland!  For one, they needed jackets far more than they ever did in Hawaii, and there was no Aloha Friday!
Aloha,
Tori :)
#20 - April 20, 2012, 02:40 PM
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 02:54 PM by Tori »
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I recall reading an article about cheerleaders being ask to put on sweat pants and shirts or other shorts and tops over their cheer outfits because they were to short for the classroom during the day.  Apparently they had been used to wearing their uniforms during game days, but the new uniforms were shorter and showed much more skin. 

There was a great hue and cry from the cheer squad and their parents. 

But the uniforms were clearly against what the rest of the school had to where during school time.

Just to hijack the thread a bit, my dad who will be turning 89 this August has a pair of jeans that some teenagers would be envious of, holes galore.  My mom and I talked about putting them in the yard sale for a price of $50. = He said we couldn't do it, they were his best jeans!  LOL
#21 - April 20, 2012, 03:57 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Artist Obscure
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Oh yeah, gang colours. There are lots of schools that state that they don't allow these.
#22 - April 20, 2012, 05:14 PM

Luau feet are feet that "spread" because they're not in shoes all the time!
Re: no shoes required in lower grades -- I was shocked, as well.  Hawaii is just different; what can I say?   :palmtree :)  Our daughters had a bit of a learning curve when we moved to the Mainland!  For one, they needed jackets far more than they ever did in Hawaii, and there was no Aloha Friday!
Aloha,

Well, now I need to know what Aloha Friday is! You're killing me! :)
#23 - April 21, 2012, 05:36 PM
Robin

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Well, now I need to know what Aloha Friday is! You're killing me! :)

Everyone wears "aloha attire" --- school, work, big time corporate board meetings, whatever.  You can't imagine how funny it looks, till you get used to it, to see women wearing muumuus and toting briefcases!
Aloha,
#25 - April 22, 2012, 06:24 AM
and 28 more..
@ipapaverison

KimJo

My daughters' schools (one middle, one high school) also have the "fingertip rule", which is stringently enforced at the middle school and doesn't appear to be enforced at all at the high school.

Also: no hats/hoods inside the building; no clothing with a distracting/derogatory/inappropriate message (e.g. nothing with alcohol names, nothing about drugs, no swear words, nothing discriminatory/racist/prejudicial. Depending on which staff member you ask at which school, it may also prohibit kids from wearing clothing with GLBT-supportive messages, but I've yet to get an official district-wide answer on that). No flip-flop sandals at the middle school, but they're allowed at the high school. Or at least no one stops the kids from wearing them at the high school. No spaghetti strap tops unless you have something over or under it; no strapless tops under any conditions.

It isn't exactly "dress code", but I've worked at a couple of high schools that in addition to rules similar to the ones above didn't allow students to carry backpacks. Backpacks, gym bags, etc. had to be left in the students' lockers during the school day if they were brought into the building.

My observation going by my daughter's current high school and the half-dozen or so high schools where I worked when I was teaching/substituting is that dress codes tend to be less strictly enforced at the high school level, either because the teachers aren't noticing or because they don't feel like fighting with the kids about it.
#26 - April 23, 2012, 08:42 AM

It isn't exactly "dress code", but I've worked at a couple of high schools that in addition to rules similar to the ones above didn't allow students to carry backpacks. Backpacks, gym bags, etc. had to be left in the students' lockers during the school day if they were brought into the building.
And some schools require backpacks to be clear so the contents show through.

Oh, I remember my high school didn't allow coats to be carried or worn in the classroom, they had to be left in the locker. Which is normally not a big deal, except they were doing construction on the school in the middle of winter, and there were six-inch gaps under the windows that let alllll of that cold air and snow right in. But no coats allowed! (At least my class had a teacher who overruled that ridiculousness and gave everyone extra time to get their coats anyway.)
#27 - April 23, 2012, 09:07 AM
http://twitter.com/rachelgrinti
CLAWS, Chicken House 2012
JALA'S MASK, Pyr, November 4, 2014

Members: