SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Catholic school question

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Do modern day Catholic school students still attend mass during the week? I remember having to go on Friday mornings as part of school. And when I taught in the Catholic school system (twenty years ago!) we did that too. What about today's kids?

Thanks!
Car
#1 - April 19, 2012, 08:41 AM
To the Stars! (Charlesbridge)
Aviation: Cool Women Who Fly (Nomad Press)
Eliza Bing Is (Not) A Big, Fat Quitter (Holiday House)

Yes, they did at my daughter's school.  Friday mornings were Mass mornings and the grades took turns doing the readings and such.
#2 - April 19, 2012, 08:44 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Yes. Some do once a week. Some do once a month. Some may not - but I think most do.
#3 - April 19, 2012, 08:59 AM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Pup 681, Truman, When the Snow is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Specs and Specs II.
Others at www.jeanreidy.com

AdamV

Our does. I think it's Thursdays for grades 1-5 and Fridays for 6-8.
#4 - April 19, 2012, 09:25 AM

write4me

My son's does not on a weekly basis. Only special occasions and the priest usually comes to the school and does the mass in the gym.
#5 - April 19, 2012, 09:27 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
It depends on the school, Car. Here in Charleston, SC our kids have weekly Mass on Wed in the Church itself (it's a K-8 parish school). At the high school, there is mandatory monthly Mass in the gym, but they offer daily Mass right before lunch. During Lent, they had weekly Fri Mass in the gym.

At the Catholic school in WA, there was monthly Mass in the gym, and sometimes individual classes would have Mass in the chapel during the week. There was also a priest on campus most of the time. We looked into another school and they would have prayer service led by the students on a regular basis but they would have Mass only if they could secure a priest.

Vijaya
#6 - April 19, 2012, 09:54 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

At my daughter's school, they go to mass on the 1st Friday of every month.
#7 - April 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
THE DARING PRINCE DASHING, Sky Pony Press - available now!

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
When I taught at a Catholic middle school, we had Friday morning mass every week, at the church that was on school grounds. Also, Holy Days, when they happened.
#8 - April 19, 2012, 03:41 PM

Poster Plus
When we had to move at the end of a school year, my kids attended Catholic school VERY briefly (6 weeks) to try it out.  Friday mass every week was mandatory even for non-Catholics, but parents had the option of attending so the kids sat with us instead of classmates. Five years later my daughter still says that the reason we didn't enroll there for the following year was bc I had to go to mass.

My niece currently attends Catholic elem school, & they have mass every Friday and on Holy Days.
#9 - April 19, 2012, 04:26 PM

Ours had a chapel and all denominations had to attend and were also taught catholic relgion.

#10 - April 19, 2012, 05:34 PM

Members: