SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Hilary Mantel on writing historical fiction

Discussion started on

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
It's not directly kid-lit related, but definitely interesting for writers of historical fiction for any age:
http://manbooker.co.uk/perspective/articles/1594
#1 - May 14, 2012, 04:24 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Thanks for posting this, Marissa!  :)
#2 - May 14, 2012, 05:37 PM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Thanks for posting, Marissa. Very interesting. I particularly like this line: "Make a virtue of the constraints of the facts, or write some other form of fiction." (Now, if only I'd done that!)
#3 - May 14, 2012, 06:16 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
I particularly like this line: "Make a virtue of the constraints of the facts, or write some other form of fiction." (Now, if only I'd done that!)

Done which, rab?  :)

Off to read the article now. Thanks for posting the link, Marissa.
#4 - May 15, 2012, 07:58 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Thanks for this! I'm tired of hearing, 'Why doesn't she just stand up for herself!" Same reason you wouldn't pee on the corner of your boss' desk. It is not culturally acceptable - although possible that someone has done it, most likely your character won't.
#5 - May 16, 2012, 08:51 AM
www.Facebook.com/MythRiderBook
- 4RV Publishing, April 2015
NO MORE MR. DAWDLE (Caramel Tree, April 2015)
UNGLUED (Caramel Tree, June 2015)

Grady Hendrix

I just wanted to chime in and second Hilary Mantel (not that it needs seconding) on True Grit. It really is THE great American novel, and I've always wondered why it wasn't assigned high school reading. A truly remarkable, fast-paced book with one of the best first person narrators in American fiction. I'm always surprised that a book this good, with a female protagonist, isn't on every single high school reading list. You'd think it would be catnip for English teachers and high school students.
#6 - May 19, 2012, 07:49 AM

I just wanted to chime in and second Hilary Mantel (not that it needs seconding) on True Grit. It really is THE great American novel, and I've always wondered why it wasn't assigned high school reading. A truly remarkable, fast-paced book with one of the best first person narrators in American fiction. I'm always surprised that a book this good, with a female protagonist, isn't on every single high school reading list. You'd think it would be catnip for English teachers and high school students.

It was on high school reading lists--until the movie came out in 1969. That killed the book.

eab

#7 - May 19, 2012, 02:43 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region switzerland
Great link! Thanks for posting that. I particularly like:

Learn to tolerate strange world views. Don’t pervert the values of the past. Women in former eras were downtrodden and frequently assented to it. Generally speaking, our ancestors were not tolerant, liberal or democratic. Your characters probably did not read The Guardian, and very likely believed in hellfire, beating children and hanging malefactors. Can you live with that?

Don’t rearrange history to suit your plot. Make a virtue of the constraints of the facts, or write some other form of fiction.

(bolding mine)

I'm so tired of reading about plucky-even-by-21st-century-standards women in Regency England...  :groan

If I'm reading about another era, I want to experience a story that reflects that era as it was*, not a modern tale that happens to have characters in costume and a castle setting. And then there's the fact that if modern books were to be believed, England has more Dukes than you can throw a stick at, but that's a mini-rant for another day  :laugh

*now, for alternate history, magical realism, etc. that's a completely different animal. But for those writing a story with a "straight" historical setting .... see above
#8 - May 21, 2012, 05:33 AM
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:36 AM by EL »
I tweet: @FictionForge

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
LOL, El!  It is amazing how many dukes there are in Regency Romance land!

The challenge in writing female characters is walking the line between keeping them true to their era, while also making them sympathetic and relateable to a 21st century reader who isn't very well-versed in history.  It's not an easy task!  In one of my books, my heroine had to disguise herself as a boy...but instead of reveling in the freedom of trousers after all her heavy petticoats, she was mortified and had a very hard time of it, and had to be reminded not to walk like a girl.  :)  It felt like a fair compromise to me.
#9 - May 21, 2012, 08:14 AM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region switzerland
You are so right Marissa! I'm trying to find that line as well in one of my current projects. How to make her relatable to a modern readership, but preserve (to a greater rather than lesser degree) the realities of the time.

I guess you could tell there's been an overabundance of dukes in my reading lately  :laugh. Makes me feel sorry for all the poor earls and viscounts out there ...
#10 - May 21, 2012, 10:50 AM
I tweet: @FictionForge

Members: