SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Hi I'm new on here and could use some help....

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Hi all,

I am a ceramic artist who is trying to write a book about one of my characters, Melvin the Sad(ish) Robot. But as you all know, writing is hard. I have gone through a couple of drafts of my story and I think the overall story is solid, but my writing is rough. I'm looking for insight, feedback, critiques that will help get my writing up to speed with the images I have been producing for this project. Thanks in advance for anyone able to help.
#1 - February 18, 2016, 10:41 AM

Official Shenaniganizer
Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadawest
Hi Joshua, welcome to the board!! :welcome

A good place to start is to read the wonderfully informative articles on our member Harold Underdown's site. http://underdown.org/basic-articles.htm

Also, if you haven't already, spend some time reading the threads on the Craft of Writing board, the PB board, and the Illustrating board. They contain a wealth of information.

When you are ready, there are boards on the main board and the SCBWI Only boards to request critiques of queries, manuscripts, and illustrations.

And of course if you have questions our members are incredibly helpful and supportive!

You've come to the best place on the internet to learn about the children's book industry!  :goodluck
#2 - February 18, 2016, 11:41 AM
THIS LITTLE PIGGY (AN OWNER'S MANUAL), Aladdin PIX June 2017 :pigsnort
KUNG POW CHICKEN 1-4, Scholastic 2014 :chicken

http://cyndimarko.com
@cynmarko

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
I love that picture. About the writing, you might try checking your verbs to see if they are strong and convey what you want to say. Also, see if you are using the five senses as you write. We tend to use the same ones.  Adding the ones missing, could give your writing the feel you want. You might, also, identify the strongest images or frases and use them to rewrite.  Keep rolling! You have quite a character there!
#3 - February 22, 2016, 03:01 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Great cover!

There is a critique section on the board for finding someone to swap text, but sometimes it helps to stop editing and write a page a completely different way--and see what that triggers. :)
#4 - February 22, 2016, 04:29 PM

Yes, trading manuscripts and getting critiques will help you improve your work immensely. It takes time but it is so worth it!
#5 - February 26, 2016, 09:48 AM
UNICORN AND YETI: SPARKLY NEW FRIENDS, A GOOD TEAM, & FRIENDS ROCK! Coming 2019 from Scholastic Acorn

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm curious as to why the parenthetical parts of Sad(ish) and In(to).
#6 - February 26, 2016, 01:29 PM

Members: