SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

E-books for a 9-year-old girl?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
Finding books for my 9-year-old daughter is no trouble at all, but when it comes to e-books for her Nook I'm never sure what to do. The library has a relatively small collection of e-books so far, so if I look up specific books usually the library won't have them--and of course many titles, especially older ones, aren't available as e-books. But on the other hand, it's a big enough collection that if I try to just browse through their children's e-books, I waste a ton of time wading through picture books, YA, etc.

Any suggestions?
#1 - June 12, 2012, 09:19 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

If she's into classics, Project Gutenberg has tons of free stuff. Here are some I've downloaded:
Five Children and It (E. Nesbit)
The Complete Wizard of Oz collection
A Little Princess
Mother West Wind's Children
The Secret Garden
Understood Betsy
Charlotte Sometimes

#2 - June 12, 2012, 10:36 AM

Poster Plus
You know, we haven't had much luck with Project Gutenberg. I tried some E. Nesbit and it just wasn't formatted right or something . . . if I remember correctly, it was missing words or pages? Also no pictures.
#3 - June 12, 2012, 11:15 AM
AROUND AMERICA TO WIN THE VOTE
ANYTHING BUT ORDINARY ADDIE
MESMERIZED
GINGERBREAD FOR LIBERTY!
THE GRUDGE KEEPER
more at mararockliff.com

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
I have a NOOK and I know that you can get something like 25 or more Children's Classics for less than $5.  I am on a buying ban.  So I haven't looked recently.  There are also some free kids books, or some for 99cents.  (Some of those are related to the 39 Clues books, has she read them? or would she be interested in them?) 

Let me take a look I may have more info in a day or so...

You can check out my blog for my book list and see if any of them are available...
#4 - June 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
If it's okay to mention a mid grade series of mine which is only approx $4 on Nook and Kindle and family fun following a family going on trips where the 3 kids find mermaids, aliens and a magical world under Mt. Shasta, each based on a real place or happening.
SHAMROCKED http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shamrocked-linda-joy-singleton/1014544428?ean=9780738734217
#5 - June 12, 2012, 06:23 PM
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:25 PM by LindaJoy »
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, CURIOUS CAT SPY CLUB & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
Hi Mara,

My daughter got her Kindle for her 12 birthday last year and we've had great success *buying* ebooks that she wants to read but very little success using our library ebook resources. They don't seem to have the books that we look for available as e-readers, yet, and my experience searching through their e-catalog has been like you describe.

She has almost all of Linda Joy's books that are mentioned above on her Kindle, btw, and rereads them frequently. If my daughter were awake she would definitely recommend them to your daughter. :)

Cassandra

#6 - June 12, 2012, 11:24 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Cassandra, Regeneration is up on Smashwords for $1.99. It's available for purchase there but awaiting their approval to go to other formats...not as easy as I hoped. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/153744
#7 - June 13, 2012, 06:10 AM
Author of SNOW DOG, SAND DOG, THE SEER, DEAD GIRL, CURIOUS CAT SPY CLUB & in 2016: CA$H KAT
www.LindaJoySingleton.com
twitter.com/LindaJoySinglet

Liz
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Two apps I recommend for the NOOK are Beverly Cleary Books (free), although it sends you to buy the paper issues of the books, they are all available as e-books and some of her books do go into middle-grades. It is a neat app and I think if the books were once read by your daughter she will enjoy the app and it does have the Movie tie-in and lots of other fun features.  Although not a reading app, I recommend Drawing Pad, lots of fun, drawing with marker, crayons, paints, and colored pencils and they can be saved in an album.  I have fun with it when I am on long phone calls.  :artist1:

I also recommend the Lemonade War series by Jacqueline Davis.  I read the first one from the library (not on my NOOK) bought the second and will probably buy the third in a couple of months.  I bought Wonder on my NOOK.

The Secret Garden is available from 99 cents to ? for different versions.

Then there is the Mysterious Benedict Society books. 

There are also a few other free apps and some fairly cheap apps that are fun to play around with, there are Soduko, Hangman (look for a kid's edition), Vocabulary, Spanish words, etc.

#8 - June 13, 2012, 06:59 PM
You must do the things you think you cannot do.  Eleanor Roosevelt

http://www.lizstrawwrites.com/

mclicious
Poster Plus
Pretty much all the Project Gutenberg books are also available free on Amazon. I'm not sure how exactly that transfers to B&N and Nook, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same. All of Andrew Lang's fairy book collections are there, as well as a lot of the classics already mentioned. Other fun ones for kids are Rootabaga Stories by Carl Sandburg, Alice in Wonderland, and tons of fairy tales, from Wilde to Grimm to India to Greece. I also saw at least one Bobbsey Twins title in there.

Tor.com has been doing prequel/interstituals for some of their series for only 99cents a pop. Again, I have a Kindle, but they might be available for Nook as well. Since it's a Nook, you can't join Lendle, but I recommend it for those who have a Kindle (lendle.me, referral code A8XNC28S). And you could also look at openlibrary.org. Goodreads has ebooks if you're a member, and they're free, but many are available at Amazon/Gutenberg, and others are dubious (the James Potter series?).

Aside from that, with the little I know about Nook, I think your best bet is to buy when on sale and to read librarian/mom/teacher blogs, who might have giveaways or other tips.
#9 - July 16, 2012, 07:28 PM
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:30 PM by Hannah »

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
If she had a Kindle, I'd recommend these sites:

http://youngedition.pixelofink.com/category/age/ages-9-12/

http://junior.dailycheapreads.com/

Not too sure what's out there for the Nook.

Rue
#10 - July 17, 2012, 01:02 AM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

Members: