SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Book rec for 11 and 6 year old...

Discussion started on

I read aloud to my kids every night - they're 11 and 6 (girls) and my 4 year old is in the room but not really paying attention. We're just finishing Redwall which is by far the most successful read aloud we've done. And I know there are over 20 books in the series, but if I read about one more evil rat my head's going to explode.
So, I was wondering if you had any recommendations for MG books that might work for both an 11 and 6 year old. I think they mostly like adventures. We've done Harry Potter and Narnia, The Secret Garden, and The Little Princess. We tried The Wind in the Willows and the 6 year old was bored. Please feel free to plug your own books! I always buy the read alouds because it takes forever to get through them. ;)
#1 - June 22, 2012, 12:29 AM
Robin

Robin,
  You may have to got ABE to get it (I think it's out of print), but The Top Ten Ways to Ruin Your First Day of Fifth Grade (Hardcover), they changed it to School for the paperback by Ken Derby.  Hilarious and fun.
   I also like:
   The Green Book - Walsh
   The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - DiCamillo
   The Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley
   Time Stops for No Mouse - Hoeye
   Leepike Ridge by N.D. Wilson
   Savvy - Law
   Aliens on Vacation - Smith
   Leaving the Bellweathers - Venuti
   A Tale Dark and Grimm - Gidwitz
   With a Name Like Love - Hilmo

Hope you find something you all like.
keep reading and writing,
dave r
#2 - June 22, 2012, 03:51 AM
Just One More Page
www.riterdave.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Great recs. I'll add The Penderwicks, Warriors (cat series if y'all like cats), anything by Dick King, Kate diCamillo for now.
Vijaya
#3 - June 22, 2012, 04:08 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
  • SCBWI PAL
They may like the GREGOR OVERLANDER series by Suzanne Collins.
#4 - June 22, 2012, 04:17 AM
www.heleneboudreau.com

Author of the REAL MERMAIDS tween series, RED DUNE ADVENTURES chapter book series, I DARE YOU NOT TO YAWN (2013) and more.

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Don't forget REAL MERMAIDS!

If they like fantasy like REDWALL, maybe:

Igraine the Brave, by Cornelia Funke
Princess Academy, by Shannon Hale
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, Grace Lin
Icefall, Matthew Kirby
The Ogre of Oglefort, Eva Ibbotson
Howl's Moving Castle, Dianna Wynne Jones
Kat Incorrigible, Stephanie Burgis
The Cabinet of Earths, Anne Nesbet
Breadcrumbs, Anne Ursu
The Mysterious Howling (Wolves of Ashton Place), Maryrose Wood
The Aviary, Kathleen O'Dell

Those are all fantasies/adventures (some contemp, some historical) with great girl MCs.

#5 - June 22, 2012, 04:57 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Man, so many great suggestions! I just wanted to pop in and say I read the Spiderwick Chronicles to all 4 a couple of years ago (at dinner, to keep them from getting crazy) and it held all four -- so youngest was 4 at the time. Not sure if you've read it already, but it was the only non-PB I could read to the whole range of ages/gender.
#6 - June 22, 2012, 05:48 AM

Dionna

When my son was about 8, he enjoyed Redwall, too. (He would literally roll on his head if the read-aloud at night was boring to him!) He did lay still for SILVERWING by Kenneth Oppel. Great book! (Though we didn't enjoy the sequels nearly as much.) Rats of NIMH was also a winner. (My girls were easier to please.)
#7 - June 22, 2012, 06:06 AM
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:44 AM by Dionna »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
My daughters loved the Little House Books,  Avi's Poppy and Rye....Inkheart...and the Borrowers.
#8 - June 22, 2012, 06:43 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
A book I read out loud that all my kids (then about 4, 7, and 10 years old) loved is The Giggler Treatment. It's very funny, but does have some potty humor involving dog doo.
#9 - June 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Just remembered another one that my boys loved to listen to when they were about 7 and 10: Millicent Min, Girl Genius by Lisa Yee, a funny coming of age novel.
#10 - June 22, 2012, 10:03 AM
Author of SILVER PONY RANCH and ZEKE MEEKS series

http://www.DebraLGreen.com

Member.
Poster Plus
I'll be watching this thread as well. Thanks for asking the question, Robin. I'm dying for some ideas for read-alouds. Thus far, we've only done short books, but I really like the idea of tackling something longer.

I love all the suggestions thus far. Robin, did you read all the Harry Potter's with them?
#11 - June 22, 2012, 10:56 AM

Not yet, Anissa. Kira's read them all (and doesn't mind hearing them again) but I only read the first two to everyone. I thought the dementors might be a little tough for Gigi (6 year old). But... after watching her listen to Redwall with the devil rats, I kind of think she can handle anything. ;)
#12 - June 22, 2012, 11:30 AM
Robin

Member.
Poster Plus
Ha! She probably can! I had similar thoughts on the later Harry Potter books. Probably a few more years. Though I do think it's time to read the first to them. How exciting! I love Harry!!!

I'll have to pick up Redwall too. I think my boys would like devil rats.  :grin
#13 - June 22, 2012, 11:55 AM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Kate Messner's Marty McGuire books might work -- they're contemporary, but my 8-year old (girl) really enjoys them, and I think the science bent pulls in many.
#14 - June 22, 2012, 12:00 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Member.
Poster Plus
So many great recs here already! i'll add one more: pretty much anything by Diana Wynne Jones, but particularly the Chrestomanci books.
#15 - June 22, 2012, 03:36 PM

You might sample a few classics, just to see how they fly. I read Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson, Heidi, and Little Women aloud, for example, to my kids when they were younger (two girls, around your girls' ages, but not as many years' difference between them).
#16 - June 22, 2012, 04:33 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
A Wrinkle in Time et al. is very popular as a read aloud with my girls. My older daughter is almost 9 and loves them as much as my 6 year old daughter.
#17 - June 22, 2012, 06:52 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Members: