SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What book(s) meant the most to you as a child?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
Put Me in the Zoo by, Robert Lopshire, was the first book I remember being able to read all by myself, front cover to back. I was so amazed at what he could do with ALL of his spots! It was then, I realized, that anything can happen in books. I still remember it as if it were yesterday! And believe me, it wasn't yesterday, but that's the day I fell in love with picture books. PB's are what I write today.

Also; Where The Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak (I have been a parade participant as Max for a local Book Festival)

and Caps For Sale by, Esphyr Slobodkina still stands out in my mind (silly monkeys!)
#31 - August 02, 2012, 10:00 AM

is kooky.
Poster Plus
I second an early love for WTWTA by Sendak, and I also loved Little Bear Finds a Friend. My grandmother gave it to me when I started school and I must have read it a billion times. I wrote my name in cursive on the inside cover when I finally learned how. I treasure that book!

In grade/middle school...I read a ton of Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys/Sweet Valley High/Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume/Choose your own adventures/and LOVED L.I. Wilder...

I didn't know about Narnia or LOTR, or fantasy in general, until I was already an adult, but good gravy, I love them now! I had more fun ready the HP series in my twenties and thirties than anything else I've read.
#32 - August 02, 2012, 10:19 AM
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become." ~Buddha   

Blog - http://yarghing.com

Members: