SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Book Recommendations Sought - death of older sibling

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Am hoping I can plumb the collective wisdom here as I've been approached for bookish assistance and feel a bit out of my depth. A librarian I know very slightly has recently lost her 8-year-old nephew and is seeking books for his younger brother (aged 7) that might help him come to terms with things. I don't know the details but it seems the older boy had a heart condition, but his death was quite sudden. She writes;

His little brother ... is now left without his big brother and best friend.

Could you tell me of a book or two that may comfort him and know that [his brother] will always look after him? 

I have no idea what to suggest with this specific purpose in mind. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very glad to hear them.

Thanks so much.
#1 - September 06, 2012, 06:25 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Oh, how very sad. The two boys must've been very close. My two brothers were a year apart and it was very hard when the older one died. Thankfully, my sister came along after a few months ...

I have no book recs dealing with death of a sibling for this age group.

But I think Lowji Discovers Amercia by Candace Fleming would be a perfect fun book that also deals with missing a best friend.
If the child likes animal books, perhaps the Warrior Cat series? Or Animal Ark series of books? These deal with loss and separation and sometimes death.
And Ursula leGuin's Catwings is brilliant.

I'm sorry I can't think of a single title in which a sibling dies. My heart goes out to this family.
Vijaya
#2 - September 06, 2012, 06:56 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Bridge to Terabithia is the first book about death for MG level that comes to mind, but it is about friends and not siblings.  The only sibling book I can think of is Love, Aubrey, but I imagine that she would want a more boy-oriented book.  We just did a an MGLitChat on the topic of death in MG....I can go back to that transcript to look. 

Nice of you to help.  I hope the family is getting through this difficult time.
#3 - September 06, 2012, 07:24 PM
You're never too old to become younger. - Mae West

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiawest
Yes, I thought of Terabithia, too, but I'm not sure it really fits the bill in this case. I'm not sure anything does, really, at least in terms of what she's asking. I've replied to her with some thoughts, anyway; thanks for all your help. I can't imagine what a difficult time it must be for them.
#4 - September 07, 2012, 07:42 PM

Members: