SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What are you dying to read this fall/winter?

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
I'm at a bit of a blank space with reading right now. It's that feeling of needing to fill up on good books, but not knowing what to look for. My library has a rather limited selection, so I do a lot of purchase requests, as well as spend too much money on books I buy myself. But yanno...gift giving holidays ahead, what could be a better legitimization? :) There are several sequels or other books by favorite authors I'd like to read, but alas, they don't have one coming out right now. So please, share your suggestions!

Some I know I want to read already:

The Raven Boys (Maggie--need I say more?  :azn: )
Vodnik (Bryce Moore--it sounds funny, plus it's in Slovakia!)
Cold Cereal (Adam Rex--loved Smekday)
Zombie Mommy (MT Anderson--love Jasper Dash)
Farewell to Charms (Lindsey Leavitt, to see what finally happens with Facade)
Crown of Embers (Rae Carson--because her first book was different and interesting)

What about you? What are you looking forward to, and why?
#1 - September 10, 2012, 12:41 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I really enjoy Rick Riordan's books, and the 3rd book in his Heroes of Olympus series is coming out this October. I also adore the Clementine books, and her sixth book in that series arrives in March. I also just got Mo Willems newest -- Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs, and my whole family laughed their heads off. Obviously my tastes run a bit younger...  :books3 :mouse
#2 - September 10, 2012, 02:08 PM
FIVE SHORT SECONDS
SAYA AT SPEED
RULES OF THE GAME
TEST CASES
TWISTER RESISTERS
CRASH COURSE
Heinemann, Fall 2013

I just finished an ARC of "Ask the Passengers" by A. S. King and it was so so so good! It's coming out in October. Realistic fiction, glbt themes, funny and thought-provoking and uplifting.
#3 - September 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

Member.
Poster Plus
Days of Blood and Startlight by Laini Taylor! It comes out in November, and I can't wait!
#4 - September 10, 2012, 02:33 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Brandon Mull has a new one coming out.

(And for adult books, Lee Child's next Reacher book hits shelves tomorrow.)
#5 - September 10, 2012, 02:34 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Oh Jack Reacher, I love you!!
I just saw a YA at the bookstore called The Little Wood. Sounded cool and creepy and I want to go back for it. I have two adult books going right now that are both *really* good. So I want to finish those, first.
Also - just started the Incorrigibles series with my kids and we love it!
#6 - September 10, 2012, 02:41 PM
Robin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
  • SCBWI PAL
SHADOWS BY ILSA J. BICK.

Sorry for shouting. I'm so excited. It's book 2 of The Ashes Trilogy.
#7 - September 10, 2012, 02:56 PM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I'm actually looking forward to the final part of MATCHED, even though the second one so completely disappointed me.  I have a number of holds at the library (RUINS, REACHED, THE PALADIN PROPHECY, THE RAFT -- to name a few) that I'm waiting for (with minimal patience, sadly).  THRONE OF GLASS and the second MICHAEL VEY are already waiting for me (squees).
#8 - September 10, 2012, 03:27 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I second Shadows. Also Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities and, oh, about 40 others on my TBR list.
#9 - September 10, 2012, 03:38 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Great thread! Here are a few of mine, although I know there are more I'm forgetting...maybe they'll pop up here!

Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
The Diviners by Libba Bray
Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz (yes, she's the one who wrote A Drowned Maiden's Hair!)
#10 - September 10, 2012, 04:01 PM

Ooooh, I got to read an ARC of Shadows! Even more gruesome than ASHES. But loved!

I'm looking forward to Megan Shepherd's THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER

I also am excited by ASK THE PASSENGERS, DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT
#11 - September 10, 2012, 04:20 PM
J.Ro
NO PLACE TO FALL (Harper Teen, 2014)
www.jayerobinbrown.blogspot.com
www.jayerobinbrown.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Holy cow, my TBR list is huge and because I have no buying budget, I'm always the last on the street to read things! (I finally got WONDER!)

But now I have more books to add because of this thread. Sigh.  :sigh  Curse you, blueboarders!!!

*Just got my copy of Nikki's book today, though DD snatched it away as soon as I unwrapped the package and I haven't seen it since. Seriously. Not even a chance to touch it with my own little hands!*
#12 - September 10, 2012, 04:44 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Um, yeah. I just about emptied my credit card out on books today but checked the budget, and *cries* put them all back. There has GOT to be a smallish job I can take on that will earn me just enough money to buy books guilt-free. *Googles get-rich-quick schemes.*

And yes, I have to hide the mail because otherwise my kids steal my books, too. Some parents have secret stashes of chocolate; I have books I hide until I'm done with them.

Here's another one (not until March, unless you live in the UK): our own RJ Anderson's QUICKSILVER.
#13 - September 10, 2012, 04:53 PM

Oh, also "The FitzOsbornes at War" by Michelle Cooper. I LOVE this series ("A Brief History of Montmaray" and "The FitzOsbornes in Exile").
#14 - September 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region socal
Son by Lois Lowry (YA) comes out October 2nd.  I read an ARC, and it's really good (it's "the long-awaited conclusion" to The Giver, Gathering Blue and Messenger).
#15 - September 10, 2012, 08:21 PM

Confession: I have never read The Giver.
I probably should... :)
#16 - September 10, 2012, 09:01 PM
Robin

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
If you plan to read Son but you haven't read the previous books, or you have but it's been a long time...you should go back and read them first. Good, but it's always easier when you aren't trying to remember who all these people are at the same time you're reading the book.
#17 - September 10, 2012, 09:17 PM

Jenn Bertman
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I've already read two that I was looking forward to: LIAR & SPY by Rebecca Stead and KATERINA'S WISH by Jeannie Mobley. (Both very good!) I'm also looking forward to JK Rowling's new novel, Mike Jung's debut, RAVEN BOYS, BLOOD & STARLIGHT, PALACE OF STONE, and I know there are others that I'm blanking on.
#18 - September 10, 2012, 09:25 PM
BOOK SCAVENGER, Christy Ottaviano Books/Henry Holt 
THE UNBREAKABLE CODE, April 2017
UNLOCK THE ROCK, 2018
jenniferchamblissbertman.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'm also jonesing for DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT by Lainie Taylor. Fans of SMOKE AND BONE will probably really dig THE GIRL WITH BORROWED WINGS by Rinsai Rossetti, which just came out. I finished it last night and can't get over how beautifully written it was. SO, SO good.
#19 - September 11, 2012, 04:38 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Mike Jung's GEEKS, GIRLS, AND SECRET IDENTITIES!!!  And I don't have to wait very long for that one, either!  (after yeeeeears of waiting....)

Malinda Lo's ADAPTATION!!!  Even sooner than Mike's book!  I mean, like, this weekend!

Maggie Stiefvater's RAVEN BOYS!  Her books just get better and better and better--it's an amazing artistic trajectory to follow...
Lainie Taylor's DAYS OF BLOOD AND STARLIGHT!  Especially now that my hair is blue!

And of course every time I turn around, I'm reminded of an armload of books I really really want to read.  For instance I had no idea that Laura Amy Schlitz had another book coming out, and my household loved A DROWNED MAIDEN'S HAIR.....

Only problem:  no place to put any more books.   Oh, well!   :dancer
#20 - September 11, 2012, 07:05 AM
THE CABINET OF EARTHS -- HarperCollins, 2012
A BOX OF GARGOYLES -- HC, 2013
THE WRINKLED CROWN -- HC, 2015
www.annenesbet.com

Member.
Poster Plus
Oh, also "The FitzOsbornes at War" by Michelle Cooper. I LOVE this series ("A Brief History of Montmaray" and "The FitzOsbornes in Exile").

I had no idea this was coming out soon! I love this series too!
#21 - September 11, 2012, 12:25 PM

Looking forward to (adult fiction) TELEGRAPH AVENUE by Michael Chabon.

Also, SUTTON, by J.R. Moehringer (the guy that wrote The Tender Bar).

For YA, I have no idea, I haven't even heard of half of these suggestions.  :embarrassed2
#22 - September 12, 2012, 12:47 PM
OPEN COURT, Knopf

Mike Jung

I'm also looking forward to TELEGRAPH AVENUE - Chabon's my favorite non-kidlit author - and ADAPTATION, which looks flipping awesome.

And aw geez, thanks to AnneB, J-Bert, and AnneN for the shoutout! People mentioning my book on the blueboards is a genuine, I've-also-been-waiting-years-for-this-to-happen thrill. :)
#23 - September 12, 2012, 01:08 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Amanda, thanks for the heads up about The FitzOsbournes at War---count me as another fan of that series.

Not YA but related: I'm also waiting for the biography in interviews of Madeleine L'Engle by Leonard Marcus. November, I think.
#24 - September 12, 2012, 02:03 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Oooh, and THROUGH TO YOU by Emily Hainsworth! That's coming out soon, right? Yay for blueboarder books!
#25 - September 12, 2012, 02:16 PM

Mike Jung

Yup, THROUGH TO YOU arrives in October. There are numerous Blueboarder books this fall - Emily's book, Maggie's book, Salina Yoon's PENGUIN AND PINECONE, and Kim Sabatini's TOUCHING THE SURFACE, to name a few.
#26 - September 12, 2012, 02:53 PM
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:55 PM by Mike Jung »

Trench Bunny Caretaker
Poster Plus
Yup, I'm another one looking forward to Mike's book! Can't wait! :)

Also, Tom Angleberger's The Secret of the Fortune Wookie (Wait! It's already out! Where's my copy? :exclamationpoint:)

Robin, you really should read The Giver. It's really good!

Rue
#27 - September 12, 2012, 03:18 PM
WIP: ETBs 10687/35000 (30.5%)
WIP: IWWP 12045/35000 (34.4%)

If anybody's looking for adult lit, I just finished MEMOIRS OF AN IMAGINARY FRIEND. It's really good. Kind of like THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT TIME meets ROOM.

Also just finished LIAR AND SPY and enjoyed it very much.

Fall is such a fun book season  :)
#28 - September 12, 2012, 04:35 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
There are a ton of autumn releases I’m excited for. You guys have already mentioned a bunch of them. Here are some others on my list:

ONE YEAR IN COAL HARBOR by Polly Horvath (this has the character from EVERYTHING ON A WAFFLE, doesn't it?)

THE GREAT UNEXPECTED by Sharon Creech

THE QUICK FIX by Jack Ferraiolo (sequel to THE BIG SPLASH)

DANGER GOES BERSERK by Mac Barnett (the fourth in the Brixton Brothers series)

THE INFECTS by Sean Beaudoin

NECROMANCING THE STONE by Lish McBride (sequel to HOLD ME CLOSER, NECROMANCER)

TEN by Gretchen McNeil

WHAT CAME FROM THE STARS by Gary D. Schmidt

THE THIRD WHEEL by Jeff Kinney (the seventh DIARY OF A WIMPY KID book)

The bummer is that I’m taking a children’s librarianship class this fall and will have to read a bunch of older books, so I may not get to this fall’s releases until next spring. That means next spring’s releases will be read next summer and next summer's releases will be read next fall. Sigh.
#29 - September 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
I read, therefore I am.
http://bigfoot-reads.blogspot.com/

I’m a dogged reader.
http://www.dogdarecritiques.com

I had no idea this was coming out soon! I love this series too!
Amanda, thanks for the heads up about The FitzOsbournes at War---count me as another fan of that series.

And I'm yet another fan. I just finished the first two books and was supremely disgruntled when I realized I'd read something wrong and the third book is coming out next month instead of this. I thought I'd timed it perfectly.

There are always so many books I can't wait for, but two that I don't think have been mentioned yet are--well, I was going to say Sarah Rees Brennan's UNSPOKEN, but I guess that came out this week, so yay! no more waiting.

And I've heard great things about Tamara Ireland Stone's debut TIME BETWEEN US.
#30 - September 15, 2012, 02:02 PM
I'm looking for a dare-to-be-great situation.

Members: