SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Highlights (late) follow-up?

Discussion started on

lionheart

Hi all,

I'm a little embarrassed to post this question because I can't believe I've let this go so long, but it needs to be handled, so here goes.

I had a fiction piece accepted for publication (and purchased) by Highlights in 2003 (!) and at that time, I heard that it could take a few years for it to come out, so I sort of put it to the back of my mind. In the meantime, I went through a ton of huge life changes and here we are, almost 10 years later and I still have no idea what ever came of it. My phone number, address, and email address have changed since then, so it's even possible it came out and I just didn't hear about it.

So, the question is, what now? How do I handle this kind of f/u without sounding like a total flake? The acceptance letter I received was from Christine French Clark, but I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to pose this question to the Editor-in-Chief. Who do I ask? And how? Phone call? Email? I'm at a loss.  :hiding

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!

susanne
#1 - October 08, 2012, 09:55 AM

Poster Plus
On their web site there is a place to e-mail questions and comments. If it were me, I'd go that route- and they would get it to the right person. I've used the "Contact Us" option for other magazines when I've had questions and I've always gotten a satisfactory response. Highlights used to have a site that listed what had been published in their magazines, but I don't know if that is still available.
#2 - October 08, 2012, 12:41 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
The staff at Highlights is wonderful. Don't worry about being embarrassed.

Personally, I'd send an e-mail to the current editor (I don't know the contact info off hand).

#3 - October 08, 2012, 04:31 PM
Young Henry and the Dragon (2011, Shenanigan Books)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I also don't think you need to feel embarrassed. I've heard of stories (or at least one story) waiting 13 YEARS to be published with Highlights, so it could be that yours hasn't appeared yet!

Sara
#4 - October 08, 2012, 06:12 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
As someone else said, the people at Highlights are genuinely nice.  I would send a nice note explaining the situation and including a self-addressed stamped postcard for their reply.  It is entirely possible your piece has not been published yet.  I've had a dozen pieces accepted by them over the years and only two have made it to publication so far.  And from what I understand from hearing two different Highlights editors at different conferences, it's not uncommon for them to lose contact with authors.  One editor mentioned they give an award for the best pieces published that year and they've had trouble locating authors to send the plaque to because they'd accepted the piece 20 years previously. 
#5 - October 08, 2012, 06:15 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

20 YEARS!!! Well, that makes my as-yet-unpubbed 2010 sale seem like small potatoes. ;)
I agree with the others. They're wonderful to work with, and I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you whether or not it's appeared in print.
#6 - October 08, 2012, 06:46 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Her name is Christine French Cully now, still the editor at Highlights.   :goodluck
#7 - October 08, 2012, 07:42 PM

lionheart

13-20 years!? Wow, now I don't feel so bad! :)  I'm relieved to hear that it might just still be in waiting, but either way, you've all put my mind at ease. Thank you!

Those of you who suggested contacting the editor (either via mail or email) do you suggest contacting Christine Frency Cully herself or the current fiction editor?? (I can get this info on the website because I think the fiction editor has changed).

Thanks again for all your kind replies!
#8 - October 08, 2012, 10:52 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
I would recommend the fiction editor. Her name is Joelle Dujardin.
#9 - October 09, 2012, 07:45 AM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

lionheart

Thanks, Sara!
#10 - October 09, 2012, 08:50 AM

Members: