SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Payment from Carus (Spider, Ladybug etc)?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Question for anyone who has been published by Ladybug, Spider, etc.
When did you receive your payment? I was published in February, but haven't received any payment yet. Just curious if this is normal or not. Thanks!
Also, a few years ago, I signed a contract for a poem which hasn't been published yet. Is this normal to wait so long for an accepted piece to be published? Thanks again!!
#1 - February 28, 2013, 03:10 PM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

I don't have any personal experience, but I read on here a while back that people were having issues with slow payments from them.
#2 - February 28, 2013, 03:18 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

I was published a couple of years ago in one of the Carus mags and it took 6 months after publication to get payment.
#3 - February 28, 2013, 03:27 PM
twitter.com/enzor_jenni
jennienzor.blogspot.com

Member.
Poster Plus
I think I've gone even longer than that at times (I tend not to keep track, which makes it a nice surprise when it finally does come...). They're definitely slow, but tend to be upfront about that in their acceptance letters.
#4 - February 28, 2013, 04:30 PM

Poster Plus
I have a poem waiting since June 2010 to see print.
#5 - February 28, 2013, 05:39 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I was published in Spider in July 2011 and got paid last November.
#6 - February 28, 2013, 05:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I had a poem in Ladybug which was published about a year after it was accepted. It took 6-7 months for payment. I had one accepted for Babybug in 2008...still waiting for that one to be published. Congratulations on your poem Kelly!
#7 - February 28, 2013, 06:07 PM
LIFE WITH FOOD ALLERGIES (Momentum, 2018)
SCIENTISTS USE TOOLS (Rourke, 2018)
COOKING WITH STEAM (Rourke, 2018)
www.annettegulati.com

There was another thread about Carus payments--I'm not sure if it's still up--but people there said Carus was taking up to a year after publication to pay. I found this to be true in my own case: it took a year.
#8 - February 28, 2013, 07:44 PM

Carus is infamous for this.
#9 - February 28, 2013, 08:53 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
#10 - March 01, 2013, 03:34 AM
The GILDED series (Skyscape/ACP)
www.ChristinaFarley.com
Twitter @ChristinaFarley

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yup ... I ended up withdrawing an accepted story because it's been six years since acceptance. I've still not seen any $ for the latest ... You can call the vendor dept. and ask. I've done that before and it may have sped up the process a mite. They do make beautiful magazines though ...

Vijaya
#11 - March 01, 2013, 05:21 AM
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:18 PM by Vijaya »
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Melissa
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region arizona
Kelly, I have no information to add, I just wanted to say congrats on the publication!
#12 - March 01, 2013, 07:22 AM
2018:
Start Your Babysitting Business (Capstone)
Deadly Bites (Saddleback)
Hip-Hop Bios: Future (ABDO)
Twitter: @mg_higgins

I had an article in Cricket in July/August of 2011 and received the check in December of 2012. Like Turtle9 said, a pleasant surprise when it came!
#13 - March 01, 2013, 01:36 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
My first ever magazine acceptance was from Ladybug in July 2005.  It appeared in the November 2011 issue.  The check took more than a year to arrive and was coupled with the money for another article for one of their sister magazines.  They are slow.  But, I was happy with the publication of both pieces and figure I knew going into the deal it would be slow.  I would anticipate your check would take from 9-12 months to arrive. 
#14 - March 01, 2013, 05:51 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region illinois
 :flowers2 Thank you so much, everyone, for your quick responses! I guess it will be a happy surprise in my mailbox one day!  :grin3  Even with the slow payment, I am thrilled to be part of such a great magazine!
#15 - March 02, 2013, 11:21 AM
BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER (Meegenius), ROCKABET (Big Smile Press)
http://kpolark.blogspot.com/  http://bookrecsthatrock.blogspot.com/
@kellypolark

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I've had many stories pubbed by Carus/Cobblestone magazines. They are notoriously slow in paying, but great to work with editorially. Odyssey has been paying about 6 months or so after publication. (Which is actually an improvement).  The acceptance letter I got for my most recent story--the one in Cicada this month--explicitly said not to expect payment for 8 months. Gotta love their honesty!

Angie
#16 - April 04, 2013, 07:26 AM
Memento Nora
The Forgetting Curve
The Meme Plague

www.angiesmibert.com
www.mementonora.com

I have a poem in the current April issue of Spider. It was accepted around the end of 2009. Haven't received payment yet but I had heard they tend to be slow. Anyway, I'm happy to see it out and I love the illustration.

Congratulations on your acceptances as well!
#17 - April 04, 2013, 09:18 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
I have a poem in the current April issue of Spider. It was accepted around the end of 2009. Haven't received payment yet

You really wrote "2009"???

This has to be a record. Sheesh...
#18 - April 04, 2013, 09:34 AM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Yep! It was the first or second poem I ever sold. Somehow, it feels like it was just yesterday!

But I heard someone (maybe Betsy?) on this board say that a magazine once took 20 years to publish someone's poem. :)
#19 - April 04, 2013, 09:42 AM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
217mom:  2013 publication for a 2009 acceptance isn't a record ... my 2012 Cricket story was accepted in 2006.
#20 - April 04, 2013, 05:03 PM
Jennifer R. Hubbard
www.jenniferhubbard.com

Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion
Until It Hurts to Stop
Try Not to Breathe
The Secret Year

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
It almost feels comedic if it weren't true. :"...Her hair grew gray and her face wrinkled like a parched field by the time the check arrived, thirty seven years later..."
 :hourglass:
#21 - April 04, 2013, 05:10 PM
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:10 PM by 217mom »
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Eight months to a year? Wow. I'm used to working with mags that pay on publication. I had a feature in the March issue of ASK and haven't received payment. Now I know it will be a while. The editor was terrific to work with, and the story looks positively gorgeous in print, but they weren't upfront about the time frame for payment. Good to know!
#22 - April 18, 2013, 07:54 PM
Bringing the wonders of nature to kids of all ages.
http://apstevens.com/

It's possible that "and you'll get your check shortly after climate change causes a particularly bitter winter freeze in hell" would turn off a few writers. I have always been happy with how my work looks in the bug magazines and the editors are lovely to work with...but really, the slow pay can be sadly comical.
#23 - April 19, 2013, 09:39 AM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
I'm so glad to read this thread!  I've had poems published in Spider before, and usually got the payment a couple of months after.  I had a poem in Cricket in the fall, and still haven't seen payment, but I'll stop worrying about it now.  As far as record time for publication goes, I still have contracts on two poems w/Carus; one for Spider and one for Ladybug, both were sold in 2004.  :shock They've yet to see the light of day since. ;)  I've thought about writing a "status query" of sorts for it, but again, now thinking better of it.  I'll be pleasantly surprised when they ever get published, I suppose.  The magazines are stunning, though, so I'd say it's worth the wait.  :fireworks
#24 - April 24, 2013, 06:37 PM
AN EYEBALL IN MY GARDEN--AND OTHER SPINE-TINGLING POEMS (Marshall Cavendish 2010)
CIRCUS TRAIN! (Two Lions, Spring 2015)

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
I have an illustration coming out in the May/June edition of Lady Bug for "Sky Fishing", But the email when I was offered the job said a year for payment. But got my comp copies in the mail today- so they are prompt about that and they are fun to work with.
#25 - April 24, 2013, 08:35 PM

Poster Plus
I've just sold another piece to Carus, this time for Cricket:yeah  I'm also in the camp of it being a sweet surprise when payment comes. But being in Cricket, Ladybug, Spider, and AppleSeeds is just as important to me as the money—they are great clips to have.
#26 - May 08, 2013, 05:17 AM
CHRISTMAS EVE BLIZZARD, Arbordale Publishing

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations, Julia and AV!  Great news on both counts!! :yay

And congratulations to you, Jenny, on all your successes with the bug mags.
#27 - May 08, 2013, 07:10 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Congrats, Julia and AV! I'm still trying to break in to the bug magazines, and I admire anyone who's already done it. :)
#28 - May 08, 2013, 08:20 PM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Poster Plus
Thanks, Ev! Thanks, Sara!
 :thankyou
#29 - May 09, 2013, 05:20 AM
CHRISTMAS EVE BLIZZARD, Arbordale Publishing

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi there,

I just received a go ahead from ASK (Carus) for January 2014.

The editor advised me before I accepted the assignment that they are "paying several months late" but they are paying everyone. Apparently accounting is working on the issue and hopes to be back on track soon.

Kirsten
#30 - May 23, 2013, 02:48 PM
Kirsten W. Larson

--
WOOD, WIRE, WINGS, illus. Tracy Subisak
(Calkins Creek, 2020)

www.kirsten-w-larson.com
www.SubItClub.com

Members: