SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Sidebars vs. Writer's Notes

Discussion started on

I'm debating between sidebars or a writer's note at the end of my NF PB.  Some of the information fits much better into a writer's note telling the whole story. But I also want to include little tidbits and facts about the animals in the book. I feel like those would work better as sidebars, but I wouldn't have one for every page. Is that okay? 

If I have sidebars, do I have to have them evenly spaced through the book, or is it okay to have three on one page and zero on another?

What about having a Writer's note at the end, plus a small fact sheet about the animals? Is that overkill?

What do editors prefer?
#1 - March 19, 2013, 09:25 PM
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
Can you do both? You don't have to have sidebars on every page. Little tidbits here and there throughout the book would be a fun surprise for young readers. If there is one on every page just because you fell you need to have one on every page, then the info could feel a bit forced. (IMO)
What do editors prefer? In my experience it depends on what suits. (I am not an editor though.)
#2 - March 19, 2013, 10:36 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (August 2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Children's Book Editor
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Editors prefer what works! Do the right thing by your material, whatever that is.
#3 - March 20, 2013, 04:01 AM
Harold Underdown

The Purple Crayon, a children's book editor's site: http://www.underdown.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HUnderdown

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I agree with using sidebars, and placing the sidebars where they fit. I agree with Julie that if you start worrying about a sidebar for p. 3, because it's the only page that doesn't have one, etc., the sidebar(s) may feel forced.

You can have an author's note, too, but I'd keep it short, and anything you actually think the kids would find cool, I'd put into the sidebars.

:goodluck
#4 - March 20, 2013, 07:47 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Members: