SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Stereotypes and scriptwriting

Discussion started on

bookworm452

:banghead
I'm trying to write a script but I'm worried about falling into stereotypes. With stories and novels, it's easier because you have narration but I'm trying to figure out how to get the information across just in speech and directions. Anyone got any advice?
#1 - April 23, 2013, 10:14 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
 :yay for a new topic in Script Writing!

I'm a little confused by your question, bookworm452. I would think a stereotype, which I take to mean a very generic, 2-dimensional character who has not been fully developed, would be a stereotype no matter how much narration there is. If you've fleshed out the character, both the dialogue and what drives the character to action (motivation, conflicts, etc.) should be coming through. Maybe you explain the problem you think you're having in more detail?

I love Michael Hauge's Storymastery site, maybe you'll find something there that will help? http://www.storymastery.com/articles

:goodluck
#2 - April 23, 2013, 12:19 PM

bookworm452

I'm worried about creating characters that end up being stereotypical and how get the information about them across in speech because sometimes, even if you know the motivation and you get why, the audience might not always. It's something I have a problem with, I get to know a character where all of their motivations are obvious to me so I don't realise that other people won't get it until someone points it out to me.
#3 - April 23, 2013, 12:35 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
What if you watch a few favorite movies and analyze how the characters' inner lives come across through action and dialogue only?
#4 - April 23, 2013, 12:53 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
okay, bookworm, I see where your coming from now. I second mrh's excellent advice and would add that you might want to check out the pilot episodes of television dramas with big myth arcs and ensemble casts (instead of procedurals), where the writer is charged with not only introducing us to the characters but making us care about them in a short span of time.
#5 - April 23, 2013, 06:35 PM

bookworm452

I will. Thanks! I'm sure how many we have over here... I'll find a list somewhere or watch some online. :)
#6 - April 25, 2013, 01:44 PM

Members: