SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What to do when sending photos with an article

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I am finally ready to send my Tonka story to Boys Quest. I already have some great pics(thanks Jennawren!) and I am going to take a few this weekend of an 11 year with a tonka. My question is:

Do I print them in color or black and white?
Do I write photocredit and my name on mine and Jenna's name on hers on the back?
And last, how will they deal with the author and some of the photos from one person and the rest of the photos from another?

Any help is appreciated
Sharon
#1 - April 24, 2013, 08:41 AM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

I have always just printed the photos in color straight onto paper.  I type a small caption if necessary. Then write photo by so and so. Before I begin my photo section I write all photos used with permission.
#2 - April 24, 2013, 09:24 AM
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:28 AM by AmandaSue »
THE THREE RULES OF EVERYDAY MAGIC (Boyds Mills Press, Fall 2018)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Boys' Quest only uses black and white photos, so I would think you'd want to send them what they use (i.e., not color photos).

Corrected to say what I meant to be saying--i.e., that only black-and-white photos are published in Boys' Quest.
#3 - April 24, 2013, 09:41 AM
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:31 PM by Ev »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I've submitted photos exactly the same as AmandaSue. Boys Quest accepted a recent article of mine with photos, and then asked that I send them digitally as well. They didn't specify black and white, but I'm sure they'd be able to change them quite easily if necessary.
#4 - April 24, 2013, 10:42 AM
SPACE EXPLORERS (Rourke, 2019)
OCEAN EXPLORERS (Rourke, 2019)
GRAVITY IN ACTION (Rourke, 2019)
www.annettegulati.com

Poster Plus
Several years ago (Dec. 07 issue) I sent actual colored photos with my article and they were accepted and used- (though in the magazine, they were black and white pictures.)
#5 - April 24, 2013, 11:27 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I make print-outs of my photos with caption and offer to send a digital copy. Lots of times, they prefer the high res digital files.

Years ago, I had to send originals (irreplaceable photos) and the editor sent them back to me after the issue was published, but this was a requested material, so I was less worried, but still I'm happy to have those photos safe in my album.

Good luck,
Vijaya
#6 - April 24, 2013, 12:12 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I don't doubt that there are times when the editor at Boys' Quest accepts color photos and that she can change them to black-and-white. But I also know there are occasions when she says she's feeling swamped with work and overwhelmed. If she's feeling that way, which kind of photo do you think she's going to prefer to get--one that follows the submission guidelines and is ready to use or one that she has to do an extra step to get ready? Editors usually appreciate people who make their jobs as easy as possible. (And photos that look great in color don't necessarily look great in black-and-white.)

#7 - April 25, 2013, 07:57 PM

Printing a color photo in black and white isn't hard. Telling if a color photo will still "read" and look good in black and white is way harder. I've seen photos in Boys' Quest that were pretty bad/confusing, and I assume they looked okay in color. So, if YOU have a choice -- send in black and white. (1) You'll save the editor the trouble of trying to figure out if the photos are going to work by not making her choose based on a photo that is only similar to what they are going to use. (2) And you'll impress the editor with your knowledge of the magazine and its needs. Since their preference is for digital files ANYWAY...printing them out in black and white as samples for the editor is just one more step that carries a lot of weight. You won't get rejected for color, but you'll be LOVED for black and white.

Now...a little something to feed my smilie obsession
 :eyeballs:
#8 - April 26, 2013, 06:46 AM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
  • SCBWI PAL
I can change the size and color of a photo in photoshop in like three seconds- I am sure Boysquest is more concerned with quality of the photo and that it is big enough. A photo gets "degraded" if you mess with it too much digitally- so just send the best quality you can and let the art director do their stuff.
#9 - April 26, 2013, 06:57 AM

True, though the original post was about sending printed copies for the EDITOR (not art director) to see in the actual submission. In that setting -- the correct answer to "should I send them printed in color or black & white" is "black & white" (with the understanding that the editor WILL ask for the digital files upon acceptance so you might want to mention their availability in the cover letter and you definitely don't want to tamper with the digital image just as JuliaK says).  I'm not sure the art director looks at the sub before the editor makes a decision about whether to buy the piece based on the manuscript and those printed samples. Again, sure, the quality of the photo is the bottom line, but a non-art-director editor can judge the quality of a PRINTED image best if she's seeing it in the format in which it will be published.
#10 - April 26, 2013, 09:44 AM
ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HOLLYWOOD MOVIES GET MADE [Cherry Lake/2015]
GHOST LIGHT BURNING [ABDO/2015]
MONSTER HUNTERS [ABDO/2014&2016]

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
All of this makes me wonder -- dang it, do my pictures look good in black & white??? Shriscoe, I hope so!  :crossedfingers
#11 - April 27, 2013, 08:06 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I knew I could count on the BB'ers to answer all my questions
 Ok:
I printed them in black and white(I definitely want the editor to love me :))
I made captions for each.
I printed them on cardstock paper so they are more durable.
And on my cover letter I included that the photos are used with permission.

Now it is off to Boys Quest tomorrow :crossedfingers

Oh Jennawren-- they look terrific in black and white! Thank you so much!
#12 - April 28, 2013, 03:28 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
 :yay  :goodluck
#13 - April 28, 2013, 06:21 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thanks JennaWren! I will let you know as soon as I hear back from them!
#14 - April 28, 2013, 06:44 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Best wishes, Schriscoe and JennaWren.  I hope the editor loves both the article and the photos.
#15 - April 28, 2013, 08:26 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thanks EV! I hope so too! I will post as soon as I hear from them. I have some on the response time for BQ they are usually pretty fast.
#16 - May 01, 2013, 09:18 AM

Members: