SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Outlining a script

Discussion started on

bookworm452

Any one got any advice or tips on outlining a script?
#1 - April 26, 2013, 03:09 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Writing the TV Drama Series, by Pamela Douglas (3rd edition) has great information on outlining. She suggests breaking the script down by acts and scenes and gives examples of the 4 act, 5 act and 6 act formats. :goodluck
#2 - April 26, 2013, 07:47 PM

Hi bookworm.  Are you talking about a feature or a TV pilot?  There are plenty of good books out there that can help you.  I don't know the one Hilary mentioned, but the formula for TV shows differ by network, genre, etc.  If you're talking about writing a feature (movie) script, what's generally accepted as standard is a 3-act structure and a length of 90-120 pages.  Industry standard for screenwriting program is Final Draft, although there are people who also use Movie Magic. 

I have my own weirdo method -- which I use for books, too -- where I create a document for the project called "Things That Happen, In No Particular Order."  That's my brainstorming place where I can just scattershot everything that I know happens to this person or group of fictional people.  When I think I have everything down, I print it out and go through with a pencil, numbering everything in the order it should take place.  Then I go back through the document and put everything in the right order and read it to see if it makes sense.  If it's a TV script, I then look for what feels like the natural act breaks and go from there.  It's probably not what most people do, but it works for me.

Hope that helps!
#3 - April 28, 2013, 10:35 AM
GREY'S ANATOMY writer
SHUFFLE, REPEAT (2016, Random House)
JILLIAN CADE: (FAKE) PARANORMAL INVESTIGATOR (2015, Soho Teen)

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Good idea, Jen!  :shootingstar

I do the same type of thing only with post-it notes on a board and then rearrange them depending on the structure of what I'm writing and the type of narrative.
#4 - April 29, 2013, 06:50 PM

Members: