SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

sidebar question

Discussion started on

daisyjune

I have two different sidebars in mind for an article that I'm working on.  One is a identification list w/ pics, the other,a recipe/activity. The question, how do I refer to them in my cover letter?

(If this has been covered and I didn't find it, please excuse me and point me in the direction of the thread, thank you  ;D )
#1 - August 13, 2005, 05:49 AM
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 11:18 AM by ShirleyH »

Hey!  We had better not be working on the same article.  That's exactly what I'm doing!!

I was just going to note in the cover letter that there is sidebar material included (and very briefly describe them.)  Then, at the end of the manuscript, I'll start a new page and include the sidebar info. 

#2 - August 13, 2005, 06:03 AM

daisyjune

You aren't doing a piece on geological conditions for the formation of geodes, are you?  :eh:
LOL

Thanks for the advice; that sounds similar to what I planned to do, but wasn't quite sure.

Good luck on your article!

Jenn
#3 - August 13, 2005, 07:19 AM

Moon phases here.  Phew!
#4 - August 13, 2005, 08:32 AM

richmond8

I am no expert, but I never refer to sidebars in my cover letter.  I put an indicator in the text at a point where the sidebar might appear, and then place the sidebar at the end like you're doing; they'll find it.  I think you need the cover letter to be more concerned with pitching your ms. Don't waste space telling them obvious stuff.

#5 - August 13, 2005, 02:44 PM

JuliePgh

Whether or not you refer to having a sidebar, when you present the sidebar, it should have a heading something like this to make it clear it is a sidebar. 
Sidebar:  Chocolate Covered Banada Recipe

3 c.  Sugar
1 T   Butter

etc...

I wouldn't even worry about putting sidebar placement notes in the text, as it may interupt the flow.  The editor will ultimately decide placement of the sidebar on the page (and it won't be the middle of the text).  But if you need to refer someone to it to backup something you've said, then by all means write something like, (see sidebar).
#6 - August 13, 2005, 06:14 PM

daisyjune

Thanks for the help. You guys are great!
#7 - August 14, 2005, 05:59 AM

If you include a sidebar, is it a recommended practice to include a note in the cover letter asking the mag. editor to consider the ms "with or without the sidebar" - or is that just an assumption the editor will make on his own?

buglady
#8 - August 31, 2005, 03:24 PM

JuliePgh

You don't need to comment.  If they like the article and don't like the sidebar, they'll publish without or ask you for another sidebar, etc..
#9 - August 31, 2005, 03:34 PM

The write word paints a thousand pictures.
Poster Plus
Hi I have another sidebar question. I have a rebus and I have an activity that are both themed to rainbows. Would the activity be sent as a sidebar with the rebus? They both could stand independently. Am I wrong in assuming that the editor would consider them independently and one won't sink the other?
#10 - August 24, 2006, 08:42 PM

pretty pink princess poster
Poster Plus
That depends on the magazine you are targeting. Look to see if they have sidebars with their rebuses. If they don't, it might be better off without the sidebar.

:clover :clover :clover
#11 - August 24, 2006, 10:03 PM
PBU
http://wwwpamcalvert.blogspot.com/p/picture-book-university.html

Brianna Bright Ballerina Knight series

Princess Peepers
Multiplying Menace

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Rainchains, the Highlights rebus takes up one page -- no sidebars.  Why not submit it as a separate piece?
Vijaya
#12 - August 24, 2006, 10:09 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Members: